Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Data

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

100 years of the Limerick Leader now digitized (Limerick Leader)

By Alan English, editor

A CENTURY’S worth of Limerick Leader editions - dating from 1905 to 2004 - has been made available online for the first time, in a digital and searchable format.

It means that those seeking information about almost everything that happened in the Limerick area for those 100 years can now find it in seconds, from the comfort of their own homes.

Every week at the Leader we get phonecalls from local people asking questions like this:
    “My grandfather made the front page of the Leader sometime in the Fifties and I’d love to see the article - is there any way of getting it?”

Up to now, we’ve only been able to direct these readers towards the city and county libraries, which hold microfilm collections of the paper, and advise them that without a date they will struggle to find the article.

The digitization of the archive changes that forever: just type in any name or other search words and in just a few seconds every reference published over the course of an eventful century will come up.

Historians, students and anyone else who has spent countless long hours trawling through microfilm at local libraries in search of often elusive information will now have the ability to find what they’re looking for in a fraction of the time.

Every page of every edition has been broken into individual, search-friendly components - from the biggest news stories to the adverts of the day, weddings, funerals, obituaries, council meetings, hundreds of thousands of court cases - and countless other happenings.

While the copyright remains with the Limerick Leader, all pages or individual articles can printed for personal use or emailed to friends and family.

This landmark new service is the result of co-operation between the Limerick Leader and Irish Newspaper Archives, which now boasts more than 20 local and national Irish newspapers in its collection.

Access to the site is by subscription and the complete collection is available to subscribers. The cost varies from €10 for access over 24 hours, €25 for a week, and upwards.

The Limerick Leader will receive a portion of the income received from subscribers who come to the site from our own website. This revenue is of considerable importance to us, as we strive to continue providing the people of Limerick and the Mid-West with an unrivalled local news service.

The newspaper industry is undergoing profound change and for papers like the Leader, with a distinguished record of service over generations, our unique archives provide a key source of income needed to fund the journalism of tomorrow.

To visit the Irish Newspaper Archives site, please click here.
    This looks very promising. :cool:

I wonder will they digitize the Chronicle too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Hang on, these archives are available free in Tipperary branch libraries:

http://www.tipperarylibrarynews.ie/?p=2064

although not yet in Cork or Limerick.

I had already handed over about €50 before I found this out!

I took a weeks subscription for €25 over Christmas and it did not expire until after the 10th day.

The amount of material I found really complemented my genealogy research as it revealed some things that I never knew about my relatives.

The Limerick Leader editions are available from 1905-2004, however the years 1928, 1947 and 1971-1988 are missing.

The search function is a great aid when looking for obituaries, names, streets, clubs, etc, etc.

The quality of the scans for the early editions are somewhat blurred to read and obviously this has consequences for the search function, as the OCR software would have difficulties digitizing some words properly.

My overall experience was like being a little kid again, who opened a lucky-bag with lots of little surprises.

I hope they add the Limerick Chronicle editions to it soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The Limerick Leader editions from 1971-1988 are missing.

That's a pretty long span, I wonder what the reason could be...:(

That's a pretty long span, I wonder what the reason could be...:(
    I wonder were these editions lost in a major fire at the Leader back in 1991?

The Limerick Museum have made did odd reference to old photos been destroyed in that fire.

• Advertisement

Church to celebrate 200 years in Limerick (Limerick Leader)

As part of the 200th anniversary celebrations of the Christ Church in Limerick this year, a genealogy day will be held in their O’Connell Street church.

This year marks the 200th anniversary of the Methodist Church on its present site in the city, and this year the Presbyterians will have been in Limerick for over 350 years.

Christ Church Limerick became a United Presbyterian and Methodist church over 40 years ago and continues to thrive.

The church is planning to bring together all the available church registers and school roll books for our community on the Saturday, March 16, for people to review.

“Due to the relatively small Protestant community in Limerick, it is understandable that over the centuries there have been significant inter-denomination marriages and community interactions,” explained Tony O’Connell, church secretary. “ Consequently, for family history enthusiasts and novices alike, the opportunity to review all these documents together is significant.

For the novice genealogist or someone who just wants to find out more about their own family we will have volunteers on hand to assist them to find their family records and help them to commence building their own family tree.”

People are advised to do as much research as possible before attending to get the full value from the day. It is suggested that those interested should find out all the names of their grandparents, any significant dates and where they were from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Church to celebrate 200 years in Limerick (Limerick Leader)

.............Christ Church Limerick became a United Presbyterian and Methodist church over 40 years ago and continues to thrive.

The church is planning to bring together all the available church registers and school roll books for our community .............
    “Due to the relatively small Protestant community in Limerick, it is understandable that over the centuries there have been significant inter-denomination marriages and community interactions,” explained Tony O’Connell, church secretary. “ Consequently, for family history enthusiasts and novices alike, the opportunity to review all these documents together is significant.

Sounds very interesting. Does 'all the available church registers and school roll books' and 'the relatively small Protestant community' refer to just those of the Methodist and Presbyterian persuasion or is it extended to Anglicans also? Is it cut off at 200 years ago or do they have earlier records? If they have records that predate 1800 I'll make the trip as I have a collateral CoI line in Limerick City and Castleconnell ............

Pedroeibar1, I omitted the most important line of the article, for details contact Michael Wheeler mgbwheeler@hotmail.com .

Did anybody get to the Christ Church last Saturday for the Genealogy Day event?

Flicking through their twitter page, I see that they were many stalls set up by the likes of Clare Roots Society, Limerick Genealogy, Limerick Archives, Limericks Life, The Quakers, IARC and more. :cool:

BE1VHQTCIAAgPAy.jpg:large

8590536380_9c177187ac_z.jpg

St Joseph's Hospital Records Dating Back Almost 200 Years to be Preserved by Limerick City Archives

A fascinating insight into Limerick’s social history has been unlocked with the transfer of almost two hundred years of records from St Joseph’s Hospital to Limerick City Archives.

The St. Joseph's Hospital Archive Collection has been transferred from the Health Services Executive (HSE) to Limerick City Archives on long term loan.

The transfer of records took place on Monday 11th of March at a launch in City Hall, Limerick by Mr Jimmy Deenihan TD, Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht.

St. Joseph’s Hospital was founded as the Limerick District Lunatic Asylum in 1827 and records of the institution survive in the Archive from that date.

All requests for access to the Collection require the prior sanction of the HSE under three categories to be administered by the City Archives.

Level One access will facilitate access to the entire collection and will only be granted to applicants engaged in research at post-graduate level.

Level Two access will facilitate access to Committal forms upto 1922, with a closure period of 100 years on all other records andwill be granted only to applicants engaged in historical research of an academic nature.

Level Three refers to records of a non-personal nature.

Information on family members will be handled under Freedom of Information.

See full article at Limerick Archives.

• Advertisement

New Limerick Base for Ancestry Research Centre.

By Brian McLaughlin (Limerick Post)

The Irish Ancestry Research Centre (IARC) which was established on the University of Limerick Campus in Plassey is now in the process of relocating to Limerick city centre.

Set up as a not-for-profit organisation with charitable status in 2011, it will be headquartered at 58 O’Connell Street and the IARC team of researchers and education professionals will be available to the public from that location.

The centre has access to millions of Irish records including the Irish census, family archives, church records, national archives as well as birth and death records. The service is available to anyone interested in learning about genealogy and how to research their family history.

In association with the Department of History at UL, the centre provides a number of workshops, certificates, Masters and PhD postgraduate qualifications as well as online learning.

Thanks for putting it up, BR, I’ve had a look and frankly I’m underwhelmed. Sadly, IARC is (yet another) attempt by a ‘campus company’ to start/build a geno business. Ireland Inc. does not need any more genealogical ‘businesses’ like this, particularly ones that sound ‘official’. We need to reduce and combine the existing plethora of entities and put the emphasis on realistically-priced, effective, accessible databases.

Personally I find it tiresome that yet another entity is claiming ‘We have access to millions of Irish Records. Irish Census, Family Archives, Church Records, National Archives, Birth & Death Records and much more.’ That ‘stuff’ is available in lots of other places – and mostly at a lower cost or free.

IARC suggest an initial outlay of €100 for a research plan and use its findings to list/outline the further research needed. They show a sample plan, (based on a considerable amount of supplied information.) It is well put together but no big deal, and anyone with a computer and an hour or two would easily obtain the info listed and cut & paste it into the obvious template used. That plan is then used to estimate the cost of a detailed ancestral tree. The sample used led to a suggested outlay made up as follows: -

General Registry office archival trip and research €300.00. Cost will be adjusted if all suggested Certificates cannot be retrieved or client does not want all certificates.
    Parish Records archival trip and research as outlined above €150.00. Cost will be adjusted if all suggested Certificates cannot be retrieved or client does not want all certificates.
    Purchase of Parish Records €100.00
    Emigration records search €150.00.
    Census Records search €50.00.
    Family tree composition digital and hard copies €200.00.

The surname (Hennebry) used in the sample plan is not very common, it came with good data so it would have been quite easy and cheap, compared to researching a Ryan or McNamara or O’Brien surname. Most records shown are post 1850, a couple are from the 1810’s church records. So, a total of €950..............would you????
    Pedro

PS IARC are the people BTW who run the diploma programmes, etc at UL, which initially attracted much negative comment on this forum here. I wonder if there is student/research crossover?

. . . We need to reduce and combine the existing plethora of entities and put the emphasis on realistically-priced, effective, accessible databases. . . . The surname (Hennebry) used in the sample plan is not very common, it came with good data so it would have been quite easy and cheap, compared to researching a Ryan or McNamara or O’Brien surname.
    I agree, it would be great to have all our national heritage sources digitally pooled together under one portal where one can subscribe and research to ones heart's content.

I don't know the exact history of the genealogy services in Limerick but looking at the people involved, it seems IARC has evolved from “Limerick Genealogy” 2006 (Limerick County Archives) who in turn evolved from “Limerick Ancestry” 1980s (Limerick City Archives).

IARC collaborating with UL / UCC should raise the professional quality of genealogy services through qualifications or just give ordinary people the opportunity to enrich their local / national history knowledge.

Moving to O'Connell Street (former county library building) will make them very accessible for locals and visitors alike.

As for surnames, my grandmother was a certain Mary Ryan which very quickly taxed patience. ;)

70,000 Limerick Cemetery Burial Records Go Online (Limerick Archives)

An online, searchable database of 70,000 people buried at one of Ireland’s largest cemeteries is nearing completion and will be officially launched next month, it has been announced.

Staff from Limerick City Archives in conjunction with the History Department of Mary Immaculate College of Education, have spent the past two years manually transcribing thousands of handwritten records of those buried at Mount St. Lawrence Cemetery between 1855 and 2008.The records include the name, age, address and in many cases, thecause of death of those buried in the 164-year-old cemetery.

Mount St Lawrence graveyard, located in the South Liberties, has been the primary place of burial in Limerick City for all strata of Society since its opening in 1849. Its development was initiated as burial ground capacity elsewhere in the city was placed under pressure following cholera epidemics in the 1830’s and the Great Famine inthe 1840’s. An extension to Mount St Lawrence was opened in 1960. The management of the cemetery was transferred from the Church to the Limerick City Council in 1979.

Mayor of Limerick, Cllr. Kathleen Leddin described the newly developed online records as an important step in Limerick City’s preparations to become Ireland’s first National City of Culture in 2014.

She added: “There are few people in Limerick City and surrounding parts, including southeast Clare and County Limerick, who do not know somebody or do not have a relative who is buried at Mount St.Lawrence Cemetery. This online database will make it much easier for members of the public, both at home and abroad, to locate information relating to their deceased relatives. I wish to congratulate Limerick City Archives and Mary Immaculate College for their hard work in delivering this project.”

According to the Burial Register, over 70,000 individuals were interred in Mount St Lawrence between 1855 and 2008, though the actual number is believed to be higher,” explained Jacqui Hayes, Limerick City Archivist, Limerick City Council.

Ms.Hayes added that the cemetery records provide a unique insight on the history of Limerick and its citizens over a 153-year-period.

She continued: “The records contain the names, addresses at time of death, ages, position of the grave and dates of death of all those buried in the cemetery. This information makes them an invaluable resource for those conducting genealogical research on the Limerick area. The records also offer a unique tool for those conducting research into the social history of Limerick and mortality rates for all ages in Limerick City and its environs for over a century and a half.”

The address of the deceased gives an indication of the footfall of various institutions including Barrington’s Hospital and St John’s Hospital and is invaluable in the case of Limerick Union Workhouse whose admissions records are no longer available. This feature of the records also reflects the political and consequently geographical changes which took place in the city of Limerick, for example the renaming of the streets over time,” she added.

Meanwhile, Ms. Hayes confirmed that work is presently underway to develop a publicly available online map of all burial plots at Mount St. Lawrence Cemetery. Students and academics from the Geography and History Departments of Mary Immaculate College are working together with Limerick City Archives on the project.

According to Ms. Hayes: “This project represents the next phase of our online records project, and involves pinpointing each plot with Global Positioning System (GPS) technology. By April of next year, members of the public will be able to click onto a person's name and learn where their burial plot is located. The new system will also enable people to click onto a point on a map and discover who is buried there.”

The online, searchable records of those buried at Mount St. Lawrence Cemetery will be officially launched at No. 2 Pery Square, the Georgian House headquarters for the City of Culture project, on August 20th.

See also previous post from February 2012.

View the Mount Saint Lawrence Burial Register and search through some of the 70,000 burial records to discover the rich history of Irelands fifth largest cemetery. See link
    Its up and running!

I Just had a quick search and I already found a missing relative who I have been searching for some time! :)

There also some omissions too.

I will give it a good test this evening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thrilled to see this finished. I had started going through them manually several years ago but never finished it. A few people I expected to be there have cropped up.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The new database search index is a pleasure to use.

I've found two relatives buried in my great-great-grandparents grave which I had missed when I went through all the scanned registers in 2010.

However I could not find two known relatives on the new database.

So I compared the scanned records with the new database and I found that the yearly totals for burials from 1920 -1929 simply don't balance.

I used the Sexton's Number to estimate the expected totals per year.

The Registrars Number was of no help because of errors, as it lost its order of sequence three times during the 1920s.

Best example is 1928 where the database only shows 146 records (i.e. January to March 10th) as compared to my estimated yearly total of 605 records.

In other words pages 515 – 526 from 1928 were not entered in the new database.

Similar omission of pages happened in 1920 and 1927 too.

I've emailed the Limerick Archives.

Anybody else find similar omissions?

The Redemptorist Arch-Confraternity, was a mission for men that was formed in 1868. The Redemptorists were keen to cultivate the virtues of sobriety, industry and thrift.

They met on Monday and Tuesday nights each week and numbered many thousands of members. No fewer than 1,400 men enrolled on the opening night and many more joined in the following weeks that an additional night was added. It was thought that when the first fervour had time to cool down, there would be no longer any need for a second meeting in the week.

Contrary to expectations, the fervour increased and so the need arose to marshal the large attendances. They split the two nights by creating two divisions. St. John’s Division represented the parish of St. John, St. Mary, St. Munchin and St. Patrick. St. Michael’s Division represented the parish of St. Michael and the Redemptorist church itself.

By November 1868 the register stood as follows
    • St. John’s Division – 34 Sections and 940 members.
    • St. Michael’s Division – 36 Sections and 967 members.
    10074096443_d5cd711c2b_c.jpg

Arch-Confraternity Procession Georges Street Limerick (1887)

I believe they had 10.000 members and more which makes their register books an invaluable resource for genealogy purposes. I wonder can one access them today? It would make an interesting project for the Limerick Archives to research.

The following narrative from Father Bridgett (1868), where he speaks of a method to marshal the large attendances. In many ways he describes the same problems we have today when researching records from that time.
    But this simple method was impossible in our case: the numbers were far too large. The church was packed; the men could not move about without great difficulty; we did not know the city with its back streets, and thus a more laborious and studious method had to be followed. Books had been filled with the names taken down. We cut them up into slips, each slip containing one name, and made a great heap of them. I invited several postmen to my help and they made about a dozen districts out of the city and suburbs on which they agreed, and then distributed the big heap into twelve smaller heaps, so far as they could. I say so far as they could, for they soon found that they could not recognise half the localities. There were “Flag Lanes” and “Pump Courts” into which no postman had ever penetrated. I had to call in several well known rent collectors to assist me in finding these hidden recesses.

Then, again, many addresses were so imperfect or so badly written that we could not arrange them. The next distribution was of the twelve minor heaps into sub-divisions of thirty each; for we had agreed to give three large benches of the nave, or four small benches of the aisles, to each section and to limit the numbers to thirty.

When this division was made, I got about fifty copy books. On the first leaf was written the name of the patron saint, and the street and lanes assigned to that section. Then the names were all copied from the slips in fair round hand into the books. Several clerks helped me in this work, one reading and the other writing, and then after a time, changing places. But as these men could only come in the evenings, I employed an old lawyer’s clerk. He not only filled up the copy books, but performed the more laborious task of drawing up an index book giving the name alphabetically with occupation and address, and adding the name of the section. Such a book was soon found indispensable.

It is easier to marshal men on paper than to drill them in flesh and blood. When Tuesday came, I explained the principle of division and its purpose: the purpose being that the attendance might be registered, and that members living in the same locality might come to know each other, and assist each other when sick, dying or dead, the principle of division being in general that of locality. Then I cleared some benches on the Gospel side and declared that these were for the Section of St. Alphonsus, in which I had placed young men from one of the drapers’ houses. These soon came forward. But all did not run so smoothly.

One difficulty arose from the number of similar names. I have this morning glanced at the original alphabetical Register. I find ten Kings – a large number for a republic like our Confraternity. I find ten Sextons – enough to bury us all. But these are rare names. Take the letter K. There are 39 Kellys, 35 Kennedys, besides 12 Kennys and 8 Kennellys. What a confusion when these names are called out in a vast church in the midst of movement! Then the Macs and the MacNamaras! It seems that some Celts nowadays drop their Macs or their O altogether and are contented to be called simple Sheahan instead of Mac Sheahan and Doherty rather than O’Doherty. But, on the other hand, there are some who drop the clan or family name and cling to Mac; so that ‘Paddy Mac’ or ‘Biddy Mac’ is in Limerick a common abbreviation for Patrick MacNamara or Bridget MacMahon.

However I find in our first Index Book 99 MacNamaras written full. Now imagine the scene on these first nights when I was trying to get men into their places. I want to put a certain MacNamara into the Section of St. Brendan. I begin to read in a loud voice: ' MacNamara!’ One hundred voices cry out: ‘Here, Father’ and two hundred legs stand erect. I go on: ‘MacNamara, Patrick’. Fifty men sit down disappointed and fifty say: ‘Here, Father’. Once more ‘Patrick MacNamara, Tailor’ Twenty-five sit down
    and twenty-five cry: ‘Here, Father’. At last: ‘Patrick MacNamara, No 5 Pump Lane, Boherbuoy’ – and so I get my man, and he fights his way through the crowd, amidst considerable laughter, to the vacant place. Or just as likely I did not get him. He was not there that night and I had all my trouble for nothing.

But suppose I did get him into his place – was all over? Not at all. Next week he had forgotten the name of his section or the exact part of the church where I had placed him, and how could I find out? I could not search through 1,500 names and 50 books till I found one that would suit him. So I found it necessary to have an alphabetical Register, and when a man forgot his section or had been absent when his name was called, we looked him up in the register and wrote for him on a paper the name of his section and of his prefect, and sent him off to make his acquaintance. This first classification was so difficult that I remained in the pulpit till nearly 11 o’clock at night on the first three or four meetings.

Source Golden Jubilee Book 1868-1918 (Limerick City Library)

I believe they had 10.000 members and more which makes their register books an invaluable resource for genealogy purposes. I wonder can one access them today? It would make an interesting project for the Limerick Archives to research.

Agreed - or perhaps the people in IARC could take on the job? Have they yet filled the CEO/GM role?
    The following........... describes the same problems we have today when researching records from that time.
    I want to put a certain MacNamara into the Section ...... I begin to read in a loud voice: ' MacNamara!’ One hundred voices cry out: ‘Here, Father’ and two hundred legs stand erect. I go on: ‘MacNamara, Patrick’. Fifty men sit down disappointed and fifty say: ‘Here, Father’. Once more ‘Patrick MacNamara, Tailor’ Twenty-five sit down and twenty-five cry: ‘Here, Father’. At last: ‘Patrick MacNamara, No 5 Pump Lane, Boherbuoy’ – and so I get my man, ...... Or just as likely I did not get him. He was not there that night and I had all my trouble for nothing.

How I empathise with that! I have some good clues to help find my 2nd great-grandfather Thomas McNamara but on Familysearch using appropriate filters I’m down to just under 250 possibles.

Agreed - or perhaps the people in IARC could take on the job? Have they yet filled the CEO/GM role?
    Maybe they could both do a bit of collaboration together, but I would personally prefer if the Limerick Archives would become the custodians of these registers, if the Redemporists ever decide to pass them on.

It would mean free and total access for anybody wishing to research their Limerick roots.

The Sexton C.B.S. School Registers (1856-1925) is one example where a religious body passed part of their archives onto the Limerick Archives.

Looking at IARC's Team page it seems that they have now a solid CEO.

I also see a fellow boardsie on their Research Associate page too. ;)

• Advertisement

Limerick bids for the location of the new National Diaspora Centre (Limerick Leader)

The Government is shortly to look for expressions of interest from different groups around the country who wish to house the Diaspora Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

70,000 Limerick Cemetery Burial Records Go Online (Limerick Archives)

Used it in late August to locate the grave of my great-grandmother - she was buried with her parents, which means it was also the grave of my great great-grandparents! It was only about 20 headstones or less away from the main family grave. I never knew.

A fantastic facility.

Tracing your Limerick Ancestors (Second Edition) by Margaret Franklin has just been launched.

Limerick Genealogy Day 2014 takes place again this year at the Christ Church Building, 51a O’Connell Street, on Saturday 15th of March (10AM – 4PM). Free event, all welcome. See link.

Genealogy Day will be building upon the success of the first Genealogy & Family History Day last year. Thanks to Limerick City of Culture funding we are planning to bring together all the available Church Registers and School Roll Books for various religious communities in Limerick and the surrounding areas. These will include Church of Ireland, Methodists, Presbyterians, Baptists, the Irish Jewish Genealogical Society and Roman Catholics. Genealogy Day will take place on Saturday the 15th of March for anyone, from complete novice up to experienced genealogist, to review. This year will have a special emphasis on Limerick's military history as it's the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War. We shall be joined on the day by representatives of the Royal Munster Fusiliers Association and Trinity College Dublin's Letters 1916 project.

Due to the relatively small Protestant Community in Limerick, it is understandable that over the centuries there have been significant inter-denomination marriages and community interactions. Consequently, for family history enthusiasts and novices alike, the opportunity to review all these documents together is significant.

For the novice genealogist or someone who just wants to find out more about their own family we will have volunteers on hand to assist them to find their family records and help them to commence building their own family tree. To make the search as rewarding as possible we would advise anyone, who is intending to come on the day, to have done a little family research beforehand. e.g. Find out all the names of your grandparents, any significant dates and where they were from. Obscure Christian Names are particularly useful in helping to confirm connections. We also intend to have internet access available in the Church on the day to allow people to commence initial searches on some of the very useful internet sites that are available on-line.

For the more experienced genealogist with particular connections in the Limerick area the opportunity to review these records in the one location should be very exciting. We expect to have available on the day:- Limerick Methodist Registers from 1842, Limerick Presbyterian Registers from 1829, Christ Church Limerick Minute Books, Adare/ Ballingrane registers, Limerick Church of Ireland registers, Limerick Baptist Church registers, map of Quaker burial ground and records, St. Michael’s National School Roll books, Villiers School roll books, &co. Also for viewing will be the Registers of Electorates and Rate Valuation Books from the Limerick City Archives which are currently not digitally available.

Seems to be an American (NYC) organised genealogy event with the support of IARC (Irish Ancestry Research Centre) to be held at the Strand Hotel in Limerick.

There are no details regarding the feature sessions, exhibitor tables etc, apart from the social events (BBQ, Night out at the Dogs, Georgian Style Party ;)).

Unlike the free Genealogy Day planned for March, this is an all ticket event.

Anyone with more information on this????

There are details, just not so obvious.

http://www.thegenealogyevent.com/#!schedule---day-1-limerick/c20kl

And day 2 is underneath the same header.

Personally, I feel it's a lot of money and I've heard some of those particular lectures given by the same people before.

We were discussing on this thread the other day:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057141560

Genealogy Forum Mod

@pinkypinky Thanks for the event details as I totally oversaw the other discussion thread. :o

Thanks to Shanew for highlighting the Irish Lives Remembered - Free eMagazine.

I came across the September 2012 edition, which covers a lot of interesting stuff regarding Limerick.

See link.

I'm not surprised by the US connection for the Limerick event given the backing/promoters. There also is one week conference in Cork programmed for July here (€500-700 depending on age & accomodation)

Yes, I'd be interested if it wasn't the price of an overseas holiday!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Yes, I'd be interested if it wasn't the price of an overseas holiday!

Agreed, it’s an easy choice to make when funds are tight but in fairness to the promoters that cost is more than good for a week-long event, outings, etc,. It also is below the norm for even a single day at a ‘business’ type conference.

Advertisement