Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitamin B12 Deficiency

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bert n ernie

Hi all, diagnosed with B12 deficiency a few months back, doc has said i can inject myself, which is fine, not afraid of needles,have been shown by doc etc. The problem seems to be sourcing the needles ?Pharmacist looked at me like i was mad when i asked did they sell needles. Am i missing something here, is this not the done thing ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi all, diagnosed with B12 deficiency a few months back, doc has said i can inject myself, which is fine, not afraid of needles,have been shown by doc etc. The problem seems to be sourcing the needles ?Pharmacist looked at me like i was mad when i asked did they sell needles. Am i missing something here, is this not the done thing ?

Ask for a pack of Syringes with fine needles, for intramuscular injections.
    They're actually on the script I get from my GP- along with the neocytamen.
    Any pharmacy will have packs of different types.
    A guilty confession from me- is more often than not I use the microfine ones designed for use by diabetics- and aim them straight into muscle- its not very deep- but you don't feel them at all. Do whatever your doc tells you though (and keep in mind these are supposed to be deep intramuscular injections!!!!)

S.

thanks so much !!will so in again tmro and ask for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

Hi people my father has this conditions also has some thing called alfa 1 anti trisapin defencey are these conditions related by any chance. I myself am a carrier of this alfa 1 thing but I also have Sarcidosios am I in danger of getting this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I haven't seen Neocytamen for about a year now, I'm using the Cobalin H now.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you pay for your lot of B12? I'm paying about €30 for 5 little ampules, and a euro or two for syringes and needles. Does anyone know of anywhere where I could group-buy the needles (I guess probably not, but it's no harm in asking!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mugbags

I've been on these injections for about 6 years now, one every three months and although I think sometimes that they aren't doing me much good, by the time the second month has passed I start to feel like crap, exhausted, pins n needles everywhere, headaches etc. I also have M.E. though, often wonder if the two are connected. I do my own injections too, bizarrely they don't hurt so much that way!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've had 8 of 10 B12 injections in the past 6 weeks. Everyone tells me I'll feel great after about 3 months, is that true? My B12 level was 60 and luckily I didn't have any peripheral neuropathy.

Don't expect too much of an improvement, they haven't been much of a miracle cure for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,292 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have just been diagnosed with PA
    i think i'm luckier than most here as i don't have any symptoms, it was picked up on a blood test
    I have just started the injections, maybe it's something i can do myself down the line
    must ask what my level was next time i'm in to compare

• Registered Users Posts: 12,292 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i asked today what it was and he said it was below 60 but doesn't know exactly as they usually don't record it after it goes that low, and he said i was the lowest in the area that he had ever seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Just diagnosed with this, 134 level. My doctor is holding off on the injections for now because I have to have the blood re-tested in six weeks for something else anyway. She's told me to take a multivitamin in the meantime. I'm wondering if I should be taking extra B12 on top of that? Can I get it without a prescription? I'm really hoping not to go back in six weeks and find out I'm still really low and need injections :(

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Just diagnosed with this, 134 level. My doctor is holding off on the injections for now because I have to have the blood re-tested in six weeks for something else anyway. She's told me to take a multivitamin in the meantime. I'm wondering if I should be taking extra B12 on top of that? Can I get it without a prescription? I'm really hoping not to go back in six weeks and find out I'm still really low and need injections :(

You can get B complex vitamins in any pharmacy (as a tablet or syrup) without prescription- the injections are prescription only however. Many common foods (such as cornflakes for example) have added B vitamins. If you're going back to the doc in 6 weeks for a blood check about something else- its as easy to get two blood tests done as it is one, and the doc would be better able to decide an appropriate course of action on the basis of 2 readings in a 6 week window. A B12 deficiency can be related to other issues- so its a good idea to have your doc monitor it.

If you do need B12 injections- its nothing to be scared of, its just like getting the flu jab (only the flu jab probably hurts a little more- as its subcutaneous, whereas a B12 injection is intramuscular).

smccarrick wrote: »
    You can get B complex vitamins in any pharmacy (as a tablet or syrup) without prescription- the injections are prescription only however. Many common foods (such as cornflakes for example) have added B vitamins.

The highest B12 dosage I could find in the pharmacy was 1000 mcg. Is there any OTC supplement that has more? Should I be looking for more? Bearing in mind I also eat cheese and eggs regularly, drink fortified soy milk almost every day and occasionally have real milk in my tea :)
    If you do need B12 injections- its nothing to be scared of, its just like getting the flu jab

Thanks. It's not so much the pain as the thought of having to make it a regular part of my life.

The highest B12 dosage I could find in the pharmacy was 1000 mcg. Is there any OTC supplement that has more? Should I be looking for more? Bearing in mind I also eat cheese and eggs regularly, drink fortified soy milk almost every day and occasionally have real milk in my tea :)

Thanks. It's not so much the pain as the thought of having to make it a regular part of my life.

If it is a regular part of your life- your doc may possibly show you how to give yourself the injections- which will save you having to visit him/her (not to mention the bills!).

Its not so much that you're eating all the right foods- B12 is only absorbed in a very specific part of your gastrointestinal tract- and if there is an absorption problem, it doesn't really matter what you eat- it may be impossible to get it in from dietary sources.

The highest B12 dosage I could find in the pharmacy was 1000 mcg.

Sorry I meant 1000% of the RDA :o Threw away the box so can't remember how many mcgs that is.

Anyway I know it might be an absorption problem but I reckon I may as well try to get as high a dosage as I can just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Beffy

I got checked up at the start of June, yet again i'm anaemic and have a level of 40 in terms of b12 deficiency. I was put on iron tablets and directed to get 10 b12 injections.
    After a few I started to get acne. In the leaflet of my injections it said if you get acne contact your doctor so I did. She was perplexed at this despite it being written as a possible side effect to my injections, also the internet has many written pieces about b12 injections causing acne.
    My doctor prescribed me an acne cream, to put on spots when I get them. Needless to say I wasn't very happy with that however I felt my health was more important than a few spots.
    I've had 8 out of the 10 injections and i've told the nurse I won't be getting anymore. My face is utterly destroyed in boils, particularly under my jaw line. I've the current boils for the last two weeks. I put up with it for months but enough is enough. I never realised how acne could have such a psychological effect on someone until now. i reckon it'll be christmas before my face clears up properly.
    It's hard to tell if they had any effect energy wise as I took up with a personal trainer at the same time so I am doing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Think i'll have to get a blood test done soon. Tired a lot and feeling the weirdness in my fingers. Thought i'd be finished with this for good last time i was told i didnt need injections anymore :(

beffy, the spots, im still plagued with them, my doc also didnt see that it was that much of a problem, and wasnt convinced it was the injections.as far as im concerned it was as i had really clear skin for years and the inections were the only thing that changed!!!!!

i spent most of my teenage years covered in severe acne, and needed steroids and creams for months to get rid, and really the thoughts of having my skin in any way damaged makes me really self conscious. whats the point in having energy with the injections if you dont want to leave the house (ok bit melodramatic :D), but honestly, being a 32 year old with acne is not something im comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Beffy

beffy, the spots, im still plagued with them, my doc also didnt see that it was that much of a problem, and wasnt convinced it was the injections.as far as im concerned it was as i had really clear skin for years and the inections were the only thing that changed!!!!!

i spent most of my teenage years covered in severe acne, and needed steroids and creams for months to get rid, and really the thoughts of having my skin in any way damaged makes me really self conscious. whats the point in having energy with the injections if you dont want to leave the house (ok bit melodramatic :D), but honestly, being a 32 year old with acne is not something im comfortable with.
    I know what you mean, having spots in your early 30's isn't cool! At least being female I can attempt a coverup with makeup. I never had acne before, maybe the odd spot every now and then but that was it. My doctor got her doctor dictionary out when I went to her about it.

Not exactly confidence inspiring!!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I had not realised that acne and boils were a B12 side effect until a friend of mine recently started a course and said that she'd had the same problem. She said she's going to try getting them in the hip now so see if it makes any difference. She also put manuka honey on her face as a topical treatment and it really did the trick. I saw her the other week and her face was clear and she looked great.
    I got absolutely hammered with bad acne when I was on steroids a couple of years ago so I'm hoping that the one that has appeared on my upper arm (where I get my own B12 injections) goes away pretty sharpish and isn't the start of anything else!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Can anyone tell me why you have to go to the hospital to get a B12 shot can it not be done at home ?

Jumboman wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why you have to go to the hospital to get a B12 shot can it not be done at home ?

It can be done at home- you do need training however in how to do it.
    Its an intramuscular injection- same as the flu jab or some other injections (not insulin). Talk to your GP there are little courses they run occasionally on giving injections- you would need demonstrations etc before doing it yourself though.

smccarrick wrote: »
    It can be done at home- you do need training however in how to do it.
    Its an intramuscular injection- same as the flu jab or some other injections (not insulin). Talk to your GP there are little courses they run occasionally on giving injections- you would need demonstrations etc before doing it yourself though.

I got the injections it was very painful I'm not sure if I would be able to do it my self.

Do you know if its possible to cure this condition ?

I do my own at home but never had any training. I get the prescription and always ask for syringes and needles when I'm getting it and have no trouble getting them in my pharmacy. I have a box of sterile antiseptic wipes which i got there once also and find that when I do them myself they don't hurt anywhere near as much as when the nurse at my practice gave them to me. She used to put them in my hip but then changed to upper arm and thats where I put them, nothing complicated about it, just make sure the area is sterile and make sure there are no bubbles in the syringe. Just did mine last night actually, I always use the very fine yellow needles and they really don't hurt at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Hope to be starting these at the Doctor's soon. Am so sick of loadsa different injectons in general at the moment though. :( Personally don't think I'd be able to give myself an injection so am okay with them being administered by someone else rather than myself! I'd bloody hate to have Diabetes poor things they must be black and blue. I feicing hope I haven't Diabetes lol! :O How many of the Vitamin ones do you have to get anyone know? Maybe it differs I must ask next day.

Mine are one every 3 months for life!:eek:

Has anyone tried this stuff ? B12 Liquid, its suppose to work for people who cant digest B12 in the stomach.

http://www.thehealthstore.ie/index.php/solgar-vitamin-b12-liquid-2000ug.html

Jumboman wrote: »
    Do you know if its possible to cure this condition ?

B12 deficiency is a symptom, not a condition. Something causes the B12 deficiency. My deficiency could have a wholly different reason behind it to yours. You may be able to cure your deficiency- I know I can't cure mine.

How many of the Vitamin ones do you have to get anyone know? Maybe it differs I must ask next day.

It depends on you foliate and other blood levels. A regime suitable for one person- will differ for another. You need to discuss this with your GP/Consultant haematologist.

• Advertisement

mugbags wrote: »
    Mine are one every 3 months for life!:eek:

Mine are monthly for life. So be it, its not the end of the world.

Advertisement