Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-07-2008, 19:56   #46
Snowbie

Happy anniversary, we bloody well miss the likes of you.

Last edited by Snowbie; 25-07-2008 at 19:58.
Advertisement
25-07-2008, 22:24   #47

Ditto. I was thinking, why don't we all meet up in some central point, say the Bog of Allen, and do some sort of raindance? It just may work. The gods seem to be asleep at the moment. Thor certainly not around. So should we do it? I know it sounds mad, but madness is relative. I am sick of this non climate, and I feel I am not alone. Or maybe I am, as I could be replying to a post I imagined rather than read. Do we exist outside of my mind, or am I just nuts?
25-07-2008, 22:33   #48
ian_m

It freaked the sh*t out of me at the time. I love thunderstorms now...
25-07-2008, 22:57   #49
Hal1

I'd say a visit to the time travel forum is in order to witness this storm of '85 .

Last edited by Hal1; 25-07-2008 at 23:00.
26-07-2008, 00:06   #50
Snowbie

Just watched the forecast on RTE just there and what a trip back down memory lane. Gerry Fleming done the forecast there, just like he done the forecast on the eve of that infamous night some 23 years ago. By then he was less thin on top ( moreof a perm) and using the magic wand (as my Dad use to call it) stick they used back then pointing at a B&W chart on a wall with a forecast in letter blocks beside it.

I also remember the word Thunderstorm being used several times on that forecast and by God was he right. No GFS, no ECM, no graphics, just a chart and a stick and an experts view on what was going to happen.

Gerry aka wink wink Fleming you Legend.

Useless info i know but thought i share cause she wont't listen to me.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-07-2008, 00:10   #51
dsmythy

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...727/Pg001.html

Can't really see the story unless you pay for it but it's there.
26-07-2008, 00:41   #52
Hal1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmythy View Post
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...727/Pg001.html

Can't really see the story unless you pay for it but it's there.
Well I suggest copy & paste or at least give us the gist of wtf your on about

Last edited by Hal1; 26-07-2008 at 00:55.
27-07-2008, 12:27   #53
maquiladora

Even though I was quite young I remember this event well. I can remember my father showing me the lightning through our old living room window, which is now sealed up. Looking at the forked lightning tearing up the night sky almost constantly was stunned but I don't remember feeling frightened. I vaguely remember my mother shouting at my father to take me back away from the window.

Never seen lightning like that in this country since then.
28-07-2008, 19:13   #54
dsmythy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal1 View Post
Well I suggest copy & paste or at least give us the gist of wtf your on about
You can see a small story towards the bottom of the front page about the weather event.
Advertisement
28-07-2008, 19:46   #55
Hal1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmythy View Post
You can see a small story towards the bottom of the front page about the weather event.
Well I'm not a subscriber of the irish times so can't see the article in question. Maybe you could take a screenshot of an enlarged version of it? thanks.
28-07-2008, 20:02   #56
caz34

I remember a really bad storm but earlier than 85/86 I would guess it was maybe July/August 82 or 83. It started during the night and went on for hours. It could have been localised to north dublin maybe. The pavement outside our house was struck and a watermain burst - in bed with the folks saying decades of the rosary all night. It was discussed in School when we went back after the holidays so it might have been close to back to school time. Does anyone else remember this?
28-07-2008, 20:55   #57
dsmythy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal1 View Post
Well I'm not a subscriber of the irish times so can't see the article in question. Maybe you could take a screenshot of an enlarged version of it? thanks.
Neither am i unfortunately. Just put it up if anyone happened to be one and wanted a look.
29-07-2008, 00:00   #58
Hal1

Hey don't get me wrong dsmythy, I want a look and I am sure others do too. It's just not a good enough report, just 1 headline from that time. We want stats and more details.
30-07-2008, 03:01   #59

Sea Level Pressure Charts for the Severe Thunderstorm Events of July 85 & June 86.

Synoptic overview for July 25th/27th 1985: (without frontal analysis; will have more detailed charts down the line when I consult the vaults)

And for June 26th/29th 1986:

Snowbie, is it possible to save these images as a slideshow? I attempted this on photobucket but failed. If you could help on this I would be grateful as for one, it would save a lot of space, and two, the synoptical flow of each of the events would be easier analysed. Cheers.

Edit: Not sure why some of the images came out smaller than others, but will ammend this later on when my head is given back to me.

Images courtasy of The European Centre of Medium Range Forecasts

Last edited by Deep Easterly; 30-07-2008 at 06:26. Reason: Boards.ie server crashed, again....
(2) thanks from:
30-07-2008, 15:47   #60
djhaxman

Good thread folks. I remember this one well, was 10 and living in Monaghan at the time. It was the first time I'd been awake the whole night, wasn't a chance of sleeping with that racket going on (although my brother who was 7 at the time managed it - never heard a thing ) The storm seemed to come and go, peaked at 1 am, faded away for a few minutes at around 3, and then came back with a vengeance at around 5, I've yet to see a storm to come close to that one. Florida was close, but didnt last anywhere nearly as long and I'm not long back from Croatia and they get some serious light shows there too.

A once in a lifetime thing that one.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion