Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-06-2020, 08:53   #1
osarusan

Data on temperature from times in the past.

Hi,

hope this is the right place for this.

If I wanted to find out what the temperature was in a particular place on a particular day (for example, Dublin on February 1st), is there a way I can find that?

I've looked at Met Eireann's Historical Data, but it seems to only cover rainfall.
Advertisement
19-06-2020, 08:57   #2
cml387

How about this.

Obviously the data will be for the met station nearest the location you are looking for. And only goes back to 2015.
(2) thanks from:
19-06-2020, 09:14   #3
osarusan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cml387 View Post
How about this.

Obviously the data will be for the met station nearest the location you are looking for. And only goes back to 2015.
Thanks, that'll do nicely.
19-06-2020, 09:16   #4
drunkmonkey

The dark sky app has a time machine feature that lets you go back and see what the weather was like on any date.
19-06-2020, 23:24   #5
Danno

I find: https://www.met.ie/climate/available...istorical-data much better as it allows you to download excel files from there.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-06-2020, 08:21   #6
pauldry

That isnt much good for the phone though. What's the best one for the phone. I remember in the past when looking before I found a resource on UK Met Office Site and printed pages and pages of data and you could see the months were gradually getting warmer and warmer over the decades except some months like May I think it was.

Is there somewhere I could see records like that for Sligo for the past 100 years. Joanna had a website also on the weather the other day where she spoke about climate change and showed bars of temperatures for past 100 years. When I looked at Ireland there was constant warmer than normal for past 9 years. Of course wasnt 2010 the year I had to drive to work in -18 on country roads on ice every day
20-06-2020, 16:02   #7
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post
That isnt much good for the phone though. What's the best one for the phone. I remember in the past when looking before I found a resource on UK Met Office Site and printed pages and pages of data and you could see the months were gradually getting warmer and warmer over the decades except some months like May I think it was.

Is there somewhere I could see records like that for Sligo for the past 100 years. Joanna had a website also on the weather the other day where she spoke about climate change and showed bars of temperatures for past 100 years. When I looked at Ireland there was constant warmer than normal for past 9 years. Of course wasnt 2010 the year I had to drive to work in -18 on country roads on ice every day
I have found this site to have some very good detailed day-by-day station data.

https://www.tutiempo.net/amp-en/climate/ireland.html
Thanks from:
20-06-2020, 16:32   #8
pauldry

Your a genius.thanks
20-06-2020, 17:26   #9
Nabber

Might not be relevant to your needs osarusan, but depending on the dates, you can find 2 measurements, raw data and adjusted data.
Historical data is typically adjusted to account for multiple factors, urban heat island as one such example.
Advertisement
20-06-2020, 21:15   #10
sryanbruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post

I tried collating Markree monthly mean temperatures from 1850 onwards using data from met.ie but there's a lot of missing data between 1964 and the early 1990s that I left the record up to November 1963 (December 1963's daily max and daily mins are totally incorrect with the data available - reflecting off of the synoptics and other stations - so left that out too).

I did the year and seasonal mean temperatures as well for those applicable.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Markree Castle mean temp record.xlsx (23.3 KB, 4 views)
(2) thanks from:
30-06-2020, 21:33   #11
echat

The CSO has keyed Met Eireann daily data for Markree Castle for 1869-1940.

Last edited by echat; 30-06-2020 at 21:43.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion