Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-05-2020, 23:43   #61
Danno

Just 24.9mm for April in South Laois, with nearly half of that coming on one day the fifth. Just 0.2mm in May.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-05-2020, 09:26   #62
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzy View Post
Grass roots are related to the plant above ground, so 8f you have a foot of grass you'll have a deep and large root ball, if you cut it back to an inch approx, 90% of the root will die back.
Didn't know this, but thanks. Grass growth is stunted a little around these parts but colour is maintained. We just had enough rain over the last few weeks to keep things from dulling down.

Edit, for what it is worth, here is the latest forecast totals out to midnight Sunday. Does seem to be a bit of a scale back, with no real useful amounts at all for more southern (of which parts has had their fair share of rain recently) and eastern parts.

Last edited by Oneiric 3; 15-05-2020 at 09:37.
Thanks from:
15-05-2020, 13:54   #63
RobertKK

If the weather models verify, the weather is looking better than the previous days, as we may get rain next week.
For me, rain is good weather. We badly need it or things will eventually be bad for everyone where rainfall has been way below normal for months now.
15-05-2020, 17:40   #64
SouthWesterly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Didn't know this, but thanks. Grass growth is stunted a little around these parts but colour is maintained. We just had enough rain over the last few weeks to keep things from dulling down.

Edit, for what it is worth, here is the latest forecast totals out to midnight Sunday. Does seem to be a bit of a scale back, with no real useful amounts at all for more southern (of which parts has had their fair share of rain recently) and eastern parts.

Looks like I'm in line for some rain. Friends a few km away aren't. I'm happy.

Last edited by SouthWesterly; 15-05-2020 at 20:24.
Thanks from:
15-05-2020, 18:40   #65
Danzy

Grass is growing at about a qtr of normal in much of the country.

With the hard wind of the past few weeks sucking moisture out of the ground and keeping things cool well see June be a scorcher and really put the tin hat on it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-05-2020, 08:48   #66
pauldry

A lot of rain between now and the end of the month now showing.

Some relief on the way for farmers but misery for the rest of us. What do I do with the kids now that the 50 day dry spell is over? Previous to that we had a 231 day wet spell.
(2) thanks from:
16-05-2020, 09:02   #67
eon1208

Yes. Some soft rain badly needed. However I want to make a bit of golden hay about the 10th June. Would be bliss to get a bit of northern blocking then and a few days of lovely sunshine. Need the rain now and a dry section in June.
(4) thanks from:
16-05-2020, 17:54   #68
Oneiric 3

Some rainfall stats since April 1st and up to yesterday from all of the reporting Met Eireann stations. Note that 3 days of data is missing for Ballyhaise for the end of April period so data for this station on this table is incomplete.

Source of Data:
https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data
17-05-2020, 11:05   #69
Oneiric 3

0.8mm here since midnight. Floods! Seriously though, even that small amount when combined with the saturated air (which ensures low evaporation rates) is welcome if just for the garden and pots.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-05-2020, 19:48   #70
Captain Snow

Dry weather, Gorse Fire below the Hellfire Club Dublin

Last edited by Captain Snow; 17-05-2020 at 19:57.
(2) thanks from:
18-05-2020, 21:35   #71
Oneiric 3

I mentioned this I think earlier in the thread, but it still bugs me a little.

Here are the daily totals for May so far regarding Casement Aerodrome, as taken from the 'Daily data' page on Met Eireann.

Yet, when one is to refer to their 'monthly data' page, it shows that rainfall totals for this month so far is 3.7mm.

This seems to happen a lot, not just for Casement, but randomly for others stations as well. Does anyone know if there is a different methodology used to obtain these monthly totals as opposed to using the standard sum of daily totals? As there is nothing stated beneath the monthly page to state that there would be.

Last edited by Oneiric 3; 18-05-2020 at 21:40.
Thanks from:
18-05-2020, 21:59   #72
Danno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a different methodology used to obtain these monthly totals as opposed to using the standard sum of daily totals? As there is nothing stated beneath the monthly page to state that there would be.
That is an interesting quirk Oneric 3. Looking at your charts, the 1.6mm (or part of it) from May 1st could actually belong to April!

Climate measurements are taken at 9am UTC (10am Summer Time) and any rainwater in the gauge that morning on May 1st gets "thrown back" into April.

However, upon investigation there was no rain between 00hrs and 10hrs on May 1st at Casement - so this discrepancy leaves me baffled!
(2) thanks from:
19-05-2020, 01:00   #73
watlantic

Collected 4,8 mm during Monday here in SW Mayo. The ground has softened a little bit...
More during the week, esp. Thursday night and Friday, I hope. Never thought I would ever say this during winter, but the garden needs it now.
19-05-2020, 10:21   #74
pauldry

A mighty good storm on Thursday night Friday. Was going to go to garden centre Thursday but the flowers will be destroyed by this.

I dont think this storm will bring huge rainfall though. Maybe 10mm. Then its drier again for another week with a risk of high pressure especially South and East
(2) thanks from:
19-05-2020, 17:32   #75
SouthWesterly

Had 4mm this week in North Kerry
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size