Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-04-2020, 10:29   #16
Oneiric 3

Cumulative rainfall total (national mean) for April so far compared with the average for the previous 10 years. Despite some moderate totals in the south of the country over last weekend, we are still running well below normal broadly speaking:

Current national total stands at 15.7mm. Dry weather is expected to continue up to about Thursday but the risk of some rain or showers in places at times increases again towards the coming weekend.

Data C/O Met Eireann.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-04-2020, 13:30   #17
pauldry

Ridiculous having a drought thread after 7 straight months of floods. Surely theres no concerns yet.

Maybe by June if still low it might be an issue but we are owed 210 dry days after that Autumn and Winter
Thanks from:
14-04-2020, 14:46   #18
RobertKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post
Ridiculous having a drought thread after 7 straight months of floods. Surely theres no concerns yet.

Maybe by June if still low it might be an issue but we are owed 210 dry days after that Autumn and Winter
Land can dry out very fast this time of year.

There is a saying for next month: 'A wet and windy May fills the barns with corn and hay'.
15-04-2020, 09:20   #19
pauldry

Theres another saying

"Once you worry about rain in Ireland itl piss for 6 months on end"

So let's pretend it's raining
Thanks from:
15-04-2020, 14:21   #20
Oneiric 3

Running 28 day national % total running at just 37% as of yesterday, which is the lowest figure since January 20th, 2019.

Thought I'd post that gif just to piss off Pauldry some more.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-04-2020, 18:13   #21
Oneiric 3

Updated rainfall chart for April up to yesterday:

Still running well below normal broadly speaking. A few showers around this evening, and maybe at times over the coming week, but a lot of dry weather still on the cards for most places for the next five days or so. This morning's model projections regarding rainfall totals for the coming week:

Not to be taken literally, but give a good indication that rainfall amounts will be scant at best this week.

Data above is c/o Met Eireann.
20-04-2020, 11:24   #22
pauldry

Was surprised to see the lake 1.9km from my home so low yesterday

Jesus in this country it pi$$es rain for 7 months with floods and in a couple of weeks it's all gone.

Probably the constant wind

Desert days may not be far
(3) thanks from:
23-04-2020, 14:10   #23
Oneiric 3

Rainfall totals from all of the reporting Met Eireann stations for this April thus far:

Broadly speaking, the Greater Dublin region has seen the least amount of rain, while parts of the south and southwest have seen the most.

Note that these values are taken from a combination of data from the 'Yesterday's Weather and 'Daily data' from the Met Eireann website, so may conflict a little with the values as shown on their actual monthly totals page. I don't know why that is, but it is what it is.

But as already stated, data is c/o Met Eireann.
(4) thanks from:
26-04-2020, 16:59   #24
Oneiric 3

Met Eireann map showing rainfall totals over the last 7 days:

Completely dry in most places with only spits and spots in the wetter regions. Taken an a nationwide whole, only around 3 to 4% of average rainfall has fallen in the last week.

Latest model outlook for the next 3 days showing the forecast 24 hr running totals (in one hour increments). Increasing chance of some scattered showers breaking out from about here on in up to Tuesday, with the chance of something a bit more substantial from Wednesday onwards.

As always, forecast distribution of rainfall and totals not to be taken at face value as details will change with each passing run.
Advertisement
26-04-2020, 21:45   #25
Danno

Just 18.5mm in south Laois this April. Only a passing misty-drizzle shower for a few minutes here this evening.
26-04-2020, 23:56   #26
SleetAndSnow

51.45mm or so here in cork city. Less then the last two years, more then 2017! Had a heavy shower today and a long period of drizzle
28-04-2020, 00:54   #27
Neddyusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Just 18.5mm in south Laois this April. Only a passing misty-drizzle shower for a few minutes here this evening.
Someone just turned off the tap here on Paddys Day. Only 13mm since. Some turnaround after what went before!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200428-005125_Sencrop.jpg (170.1 KB, 73 views)
(2) thanks from:
28-04-2020, 09:37   #28
ednwireland

SW donegal i have 9.6mm registered for april, unheard of. a bit of very light rain yesterday thats it
30-04-2020, 10:16   #29
pauldry

"Up" to 15.4mm of rain for April in Sligo after 235mm in February. Today's the last day so barely 20mm will be our lot.

Why is April always so dry and August ALWAYS wet?

I guess August is monsoon season now after heat builds in June and July or whatever youd call heat. I think the only way to get a dry August is a washout in June and July.

April has been extremely Sunny in Sligo too.
Thanks from:
03-05-2020, 13:51   #30
BrianD3

Is it possible to get daily data/updates/estimates on soil moisture deficits? The only place I've seen these figures quoted is on Sunday's farming forecast on RTE. I presume that SMD is a complex enough thing and affected not only by rainfall, but also temperature, wind, humidity etc.

The reason I ask is, I have lawns to cut at my properties and this is apparently non essential travel. Grass growth has been very slow in April presumably due to the soil moisture deficit so from my POV I hope this continues. And yes, I realise that this is a selfish hope and farmers will be adversely affected if their grass growth is restricted by dry soils.

Last edited by BrianD3; 03-05-2020 at 13:59.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion