Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pat Ingoldsby

• 12-05-2003 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Can't remember the name of his television show on rte. It had his name in it I think and I think was on before bosco was. I used to love him. Saw him on the galway train one summer and was so afraid to go up and say hello. I was 6, alright!!
    Often see him now selling his books of poetry on westmoreland st. Still a lovely man.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Pat's Chat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Yeah, I remember Pat's Chat. He used to appear on other programmes from time to time too. Watching his programmes was like some weird kind of acid trip for kids, I reckon. Very psychedelic and strange! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

Yeah, I seem to remember him having a telephone on his head! :confused:
    I heard he had a breakdown or something a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

My brother actually received a letter from Pat's Chat.

I think he had a spider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

Probably why he now spends his time on Westmoreland St talking to a stuffed pigeon. Anyone who's seen him knows what I'm on about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

I came runner up in a drawing competition for the Credit Union when I was around 7, Anway's he was presenting the awards in my school and he gave me a kiss, I started roaring crying (dunno why think i got a fright), he was really embarrased.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

Originally posted by Gaffo
    Probably why he now spends his time on Westmoreland St talking to a stuffed pigeon. Anyone who's seen him knows what I'm on about.

He's actually selling his self-published books of poetry.

They're incredibly good.

Ranging from incredibly poignant to hysterically funny, sometimes in the same poem.

Kind of similar in ways to Spike Milligans poetry.

He's a lovely guy to stop and have a chat with as well.

Seemingly nowadays he spends alot of time selling the books in howth down near the seafront, not sure where exactly, finds coming into westmoreland st. too much hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I remember Pat.

If I'd been old enough to know how to swear, I would've said WTF?

Probably why I'm deathly afraid of hippies to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Is he having some dispute with Hoggit Friggit or Waterstones or one of the major bookshops in Dublin?

Last time I saw him on Westmoreland St. I think he had sign saying something to the effect that he was protesting about them not stocking his books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Pat used to come by and 'jam' with us of a Friday night. band i was in had a residency in town and he'd drop in. we'd do a 12-bar behind him while he did a hysterical piece about nightclubs on leeson street.
    in a perfect world he'd be a genius and we'd be the loons.

I'm not sure about the milligan comparison tho' - milligan was more inclined to screw with the language whereas pat is very very observant (is that a real word?)

when I was a young impressionable teenager I asked him for his autograph which he was delighted to do - i thought he was the dogs bollix a real artist (this was the 80s remember when what you wore counted more than what you said)

RTE could've had him do a great adult TV show but nobody with ideas in that organization was allowed to do anything with them. If you think his "kids" stuff is mad you should check out his "grown up" stuff - it's brilliant !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭blahblah

he was in a show before Pats Chat,

in this one he had a saucepan on his head,
    i cant remember the name of this show, he always refered to 'nelly behind the wallpaper'!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I don't know who pat is but can I just say that if even half of what's written in all these posts is true then I'd gladly watch a film about the man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

I will add to this. Pat is cool and a real nice guy. My sister was on his show waaay back in 1979 , it was called PatsHat.. Im sure the 2" videotape was wiped long ago but he should be on tv again. His books are mad, hes another spike milligan alright.. legend..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

i used to love Pat's Chat .... he was presenting awards in my school & i thought i was the dogs when i got an award and even more so when i got his autograph.

i think i saw him on telly not so long ago reading some poetry ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Togmeister

I never thought I would read poetry after school but Ingoldsby's books are worth the money. He makes you laugh and makes you think. Some poems wander on and others are devastatingly succinct.

I think he is a genius and would like to see more of him on the media. His insight is a lot more clever and entertaining than 90% of the bores you see on RTE these days.

I'd like to buy them from in person rather than Easons though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Pat is cool,he was the ideal kids tv presenter because he wasnt talking down to the kids who were his guests,
    i used to love that manky spider that came out of the sky it pre-dated the dove from above by about 15 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Pat's Hat

Pat's Chat

Spindle The Spider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Congoose wrote:

Well that's often the curse for creative people. He's not a "loon", he's an eccentric, more power to him.

he has a site

http://www.patingoldsby.casey-ellis.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He's alive and well and still selling poetry. You can sometimes see him on North Earl St. Wonderfully daft poetry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I always wondered where "in nellys room behind the wallpaper" came from.

I know I remember Pats Chat but I cannot place it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Victor_Meldrew

He was banned from RTÉ around ten years back, after a controversial appearance on Kenny Live, where he read a poem called, "Vagina in the Vatican".

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Savage Cabbage, that was kept in a parrot's cage. The highlight of my day after school when I came home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Talked to him a few weeks ago, when I saw him selling books outside the Central Bank. Nice man and still as mad as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Funnily enough, on Christmas Day I was flicking through the telly channels and on RTE 2 (on The Den, possibly) I happened to come across a really old looking educational-type programme about the making of candles and I could swear it was Pat Ingoldsby doing the voiceover on it. It looked like it was from the early 1980's so it probably was him. Did anybody else happen to see it? In fact, I think I remember seeing it repeated many times over the years when I was growing up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

He was banned from RTÉ around ten years back, after a controversial appearance on Kenny Live, where he read a poem called, "Vagina in the Vatican".

Hehe, I remember that...

Reading a poem on live TV in the 1980's about a vagina that sneaks into the vatican to have tea with the pope (who doesn't know what it is) and the priests (who all know what it is)

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Pat-Ingoldsby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I remember him on TV - the programme was called "Pat's Pals" iirc.

I must cheack out his poetry soon. Great thread this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RedRules5

Ahh, the memories.

Two favourites from Pat's 'Poems So Fresh and So New ...Yahoo!

Not Guilty

This bottle of whiskey
    is accused
    of wrecking my marriage
    alienating me from my family
    losing me all my money
    and completely wrecking my life

That is one hell of a guilt trip
    to lay on a glass bottle

Upstairs Downstairs

Some little girls hold
    their mother's hand
    and adventure around
    the town.
    Some little girls hold
    a tray of lighters
    and shout
    "Five for a pound."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I remember reading one of his stories in front of the class when I was 7 and I pissed (not literally) myself laughing when the knickers were blown all over the house and trees in it. I still have that book stuck away somewhere. Must dig it out and have a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Usedto see him alot around talbot st. selling his books.

have an old tape of Dempsey's Den with Pat's show on it and Kim Wilde's YOu Came video!! Must have a look for that!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Irishboy29

I always wondered where "in nellys room behind the wallpaper" came from.

I know I remember Pats Chat but I cannot place it.

I found it here www.nellysroom.com

Advertisement