Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular places to go on holidays

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Detroit.

Gary, Indiana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I know I'll get slated for this but Berlin is the most depressing place I have ever visited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Las Vegas is undoubtedly a popular holiday spot, but I found it a sorry kind of place overall.

Sure, there's admittedly hell of an initial 'wow' factor - the surreal architecture, raucous atmosphere on the strip and the feeling of finding yourself in an adult Disneyland of sorts.

But there's also a palpable undercurrent of desperation, addiction, transience and the all pervasive corporate grubbiness, masquerading as some sort of desert utopia.

Beyond the strip, so much of the city is a shabby, dust-blown assemblage of ramshackle strip malls, liquor stores and dive motels. For me, the place lacked soul, it being sin city, perhaps I shouldn't have expected to find one.

Me no like.

• road_high wrote: »
    Cambodia is getting massively popular- when I was in Vietnam loads of people were combining that as part of their trip, one of the real up and coming places

Cambodia is the most amazing place. History, culture, music, cusine. Very distinctive. The only place I've thought "too much history". It's overwhelming.

It's also a country where you realise how cheap life is. The poverty is abject. Child prostitution in open view and white male adults walking around hand in hand with native girls, not women. Easily the most disturbing place i've ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Brunei had Gay Pride parades to die for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Las Vegas is undoubtedly a popular holiday spot, but I found it a sorry kind of place overall....

But there's also a palpable undercurrent of desperation, addiction, transience and the all pervasive corporate grubbiness, masquerading as some sort of desert utopia.

Beyond the strip, so much of the city is a shabby, dust-blown assemblage of ramshackle strip malls, liquor stores and dive motels. For me, the place lacked soul, it being sin city, perhaps I shouldn't have expected to find one.

That's a pretty good description of the US in general! :D

Anyway, back to the OP's request: how about here - middle-of-nowhere, France. When asked last month what their regional development priorities were, the natives ranked "be more welcoming to visitors" at 6.5% :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I know I'll get slated for this but Berlin is the most depressing place I have ever visited.

i found it a great city to visit, loads of museums, clean, not as crowded as hoofing it around London, good eating.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I love Berlin, yes it can be a bit gritty but to me that just adds to the place. It's crawling in history and landmarks without the tourist hoardes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Holiday in Cambodia ?

It is actually a very nice country, with a recent brutal history, and an amazing older history. Phnom Penh has a nasty dark side that is very obvious when out and about, but once you get away from there it is very charming with friendly locals. The cuisine is super due to the French influence and Siam Reap has some of the world's most astonishing temples. A definite must visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Leitrim is a county of two halves - split in the middle by Lough Allen. Populated by arty/crafty bohemian types.

The Northern half is very scenic and beautiful with gems like Glencar Lough and waterfall and the Dartry and Cuilcagh mountains.

The Southern half is much more boring landscape wise (low lying and drumlins) but has the lovely river Shannon to offer.

My idea of holiday hell would be somewhere like Benidorm or Blackpool.

I really like the southern half of Leitrim- you’ve got buzzing Carrick, the majestic river Shannon, Lough Rynne and lots of sleepy villages and nice drives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Norilsk - considered the most depressing city in Russia

That said you can't go there anyway as it is a designated 'closed city' and does not allow tourists without invitation. It was closed for "strategic reasons".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    A few years ago I went over to England to see my cousin's in (insert sh1tehole medium English Northern town here).

Why would anyone in their right mind go there for a holiday? We had a
    great laugh on the phone for about 5 mins with him absolutely wetting himself before him ending the call with "enjoy the rest of your 'holiday''. It was one of those had to be there moments...so funny��
    Reminds me of those "Survivor" type reality competition programs where people from the first world win prizes by surviving for a few weeks in a place where the locals have been doing it for thousands of years.

Imaging the reverse,
    taking tropical islanders and dumping them in a house in Darndale with nothing but dole money and their ability to create effective hunting weapons out of natural materials to survive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Strumms wrote: »
    Luxembourg, the pure bordom I experienced there is second to none

It's full of Statisticians. (Eurostat HQ)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Neames

The mother in law's place

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Prison

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There was a thread on reddit about the worst place on Google Street View. Lunik IX near Kosice in Slovakia wouldn't be high on my list of places to go.

Hrebendova
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/JPo2ofJTxn4nn99m7

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

branie2 wrote: »
    Iraq

Fraggle Iraq is nice this time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Middlesbrough.

Never go to middlesbrough.EVER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Because of it's pathetic coastline! Smallest of all counties

It has more coastline than many less interesting counties that get slagged less.

Cambodia gets nearly as many tourists as Ireland, and was busy when I was first there eight or nine years ago.

You could go to Yalta in Crimea. My family were there and thought it was lovely. Return in June looks like 450euro.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ, Google.

742ABLY.png

I never watch travel videos. And when I click that video, guess where he's talking about.. Moldova. That's definitely because of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Stoke on Trent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Pakistan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Middlesbrough.

Never go to middlesbrough.EVER.

Never been. Even when I lived up t'north. It's got a horrid reputation.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fraggle Iraq is nice this time of year
    Despite the massive amounts of reconstruction Fraggley Rock is a fun place

Doozers-observed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

jester77 wrote: »
    It is actually a very nice country, with a recent brutal history, and an amazing older history. Phnom Penh has a nasty dark side that is very obvious when out and about, but once you get away from there it is very charming with friendly locals. The cuisine is super due to the French influence and Siam Reap has some of the world's most astonishing temples. A definite must visit.

Hear hear. Angkor is a prime site and the food is lovely.

Laos worth a visit too.

Cienciano wrote: »
    There was a thread on reddit about the worst place on Google Street View. Lunik IX near Kosice in Slovakia wouldn't be high on my list of places to go.

Hrebendova
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/JPo2ofJTxn4nn99m7

that could have been Ballymun not so long ago.

still parts of Dolphin's Barn that wouldn't be dissimilar.

• Holidaying in Israel would make you unpopular with some people, given the strong support for the BDS movement here. I'd love to go to Israel someday but there's always the niggling doubt in my mind about the ethics of it.....then again, people go for holidays to Dubai, China, Russia and countless other places with unethical governments and gross human rights abuses, so I guess you wouldn't end up holidaying anywhere if you were too consistently "ethical"! Jordan and Lebanon are both on my to-do list, just need to make sure I visit the latter before (if) I ever do decide to go Israel!

I've heard Iran is a great country for tourists, that a lot of the people there are more pro-Western than their government would suggest. That's just from reading blog posts and such online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Holidaying in Israel would make you unpopular with some people, given the strong support for the BDS movement here. I'd love to go to Israel someday but there's always the niggling doubt in my mind about the ethics of it.....then again, people go for holidays to Dubai, China, Russia and countless other places with unethical governments and gross human rights abuses, so I guess you wouldn't end up holidaying anywhere if you were too consistently "ethical"! Jordan and Lebanon are both on my to-do list, just need to make sure I visit the latter before (if) I ever do decide to go Israel!

I've heard Iran is a great country for tourists, that a lot of the people there are more pro-Western than their government would suggest. That's just from reading blog posts and such online.

The only civilised country in the middle east if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Holidaying in Israel would make you unpopular with some people, given the strong support for the BDS movement here. I'd love to go to Israel someday but there's always the niggling doubt in my mind about the ethics of it.....then again, people go for holidays to Dubai, China, Russia and countless other places with unethical governments and gross human rights abuses, so I guess you wouldn't end up holidaying anywhere if you were too consistently "ethical"! Jordan and Lebanon are both on my to-do list, just need to make sure I visit the latter before (if) I ever do decide to go Israel!

I'm planning to visit Jordan later this year. Might do Lebanon at some point. I'd love to visit Israel as well.

Iran is doable but be aware that you would lose your right to an ESTA should you desire to go to the US. You'd have to apply for a travel visa which might be difficult.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement