Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saracens vs Munster, Sat 20th April, 3pm

• 19-04-2019 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Saracens:
    A. Goode, D. Strettle, A. Lozowski, B. Barritt, L. Williams, O. Farrell, B. Spencer
    M. Vunipola, J. George, T. Lamositele, M. Itoje, G. Kruis, M. Rhodes, J. Wray, B. Vunipola

Replacements
    J. Gray, R. Barrington, V. Koch, W. Skelton, S. Burger, R. Wigglesworth, N. Tompkins, A. Lewington

Munster:
    Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Darren Sweetnam; Tyler Bleyendaal, Conor Murray;
    Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, JJ Hanrahan, Dan Goggin.

Can Munster break what is becoming a tradition of a semi-final exit? The odds are against them as they travel to Coventry to face Saracens.

Ref: Jérome Garcès (France) Assis Ref 1: Romain Poite (France) Assis Ref 2: Mathieu Raynal (France) TMO: Philippe Bonhoure (France)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

KO is 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

KO is 3pm.

Dang. I can't change on my mobile, if a mod could oblige?

• Those are two really disappointing injuries, they've both been brilliant for Munster this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Garces wont do this game any favours thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Darren Sweetnam; Tyler Bleyendaal, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, JJ Hanrahan, Dan Goggin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Honestly after seeing what Bleyendaal did in the quarter, Im happy with that team except for missing Earls, Its a strong team and capable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Saracens

A. Goode, S. Maitland, A. Lozowski, B. Barritt, L. Williams, O. Farrell, B. Spencer
    M. Vunipola, J. George, T. Lamositele, M. Itoje, G. Kruis, M. Rhodes, J. Wray, B. Vunipola

Replacements
    J. Gray, R. Barrington, V. Koch, W. Skelton, S. Burger, R. Wigglesworth, N. Tompkins, D. Strettle

Sweetnam is a good replacement but Munster lose a cutting edge in Earls' absence. He's been playing the best rugby of his career. On the positive side, Jean Kleyn starts despite reports he was injured. He's a vital part of that pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

This is a contradiction in terms Earls is a huge loss but I'm very happy with Sweetnam and Goggin, both have cup experience but they're up against a very good team, a team who must have one eye on winning the Championship again this year.

Nervous but excited.

#SUAF

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭rooney30

That’s a fiercesome looking Saracens pack on paper . Big ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

rooney30 wrote:
    That’s a fiercesome looking Saracens pack on paper . Big ask

If they win, it will be the most impressive and unexpected result in this tournament since beating Leicester in 2003. Saracens are an absolutely formidable side.

Carbery is a loss due to his goal kicking and ability to spark a break but on general play, I think TB is no worse. But Earls is a big game and a big moment player. I like Sweetnam but there's a gulf between Earls and any other Irish winger.

Munster are going to need a huge performance and a little bit of luck today but stranger things have happened. If they get their discipline and tight play right, it could be a very tight game.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 werenotthere

Is this match being shown on virgin? Or is it only bt
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Is this match being shown on virgin? Or is it only bt
    ?

Tournament site only mentions BT/BeIN. I think they get one each, and terrestrial got tomorrow's.

Buer wrote: »
    If they win, it will be the most impressive and unexpected result in this tournament since beating Leicester in 2003. Saracens are an absolutely formidable side.

Carbery is a loss due to his goal kicking and ability to spark a break but on general play, I think TB is no worse. But Earls is a big game and a big moment player. I like Sweetnam but there's a gulf between Earls and any other Irish winger.

Munster are going to need a huge performance and a little bit of luck today but stranger things have happened. If they get their discipline and tight play right, it could be a very tight game.

Serious team, but what happens if the alleged work around with wray to breach the salary cap is confirmed? And saracens go to win the final again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The English side will win with at least twenty to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

twinytwo wrote: »
    Buer wrote: »

Serious team, but what happens if the alleged work around with wray to breach the salary cap is confirmed? And saracens go to win the final again?
    It may not look good but there is no salary cap in the European competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

twinytwo wrote: »

Does that matter for Europe?

The salary cap in France is much higher than in England and there's none at all for the provinces so I don't think it would take away from a European win.

The salary cap in France is much higher than in England and there's none at all for the provinces so I don't think it would take away from a European win.

The provinces have their own restrictions. I think it would, they win with a team they should not have. The salary cap is there for a reason? Maybe they should remove it and watch the clubs spend themselves into collapse?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

bobbyss wrote: »
    The English side will win with at least twenty to spare.

So you're saying that Sarries' South African imports are better than Munster's South African imports?

• Advertisement

Squatter wrote: »
    So you're saying that Sarries' South African imports are better than Munster's South African imports?

The only South African import starting for Sarries is a capped England international?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Come on Munster

Tbh this is a massive ask but no pressure and give it everything

Per Chris Foy, 8,000 Munster supporters are expected to attend versus 4,000 for Saracens.

• Per Chris Foy, 8,000 Munster supporters are expected to attend versus 4,000 for Saracens.

I wonder which dressing room this tweet will be pinned up in...!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Can’t see past a Saracen’s win, their pack is too powerful for Munster to bully. With Earls gone and Carberry out, the Munster backline is going to require Farrell and Conway to have big games. I just see Saracens strangling them up front though, so there won’t be much to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Saracens by 20 but hope I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

If Munster play like they did against Edinburgh, they will get thumped. The forwards need an exceptional day at the office!

stephen_n wrote: »
    Can’t see past a Saracen’s win, their pack is too powerful for Munster to bully. With Earls gone and Carberry out, the Munster backline is going to require Farrell and Conway to have big games. I just see Saracens strangling them up front though, so there won’t be much to work with.

The Munster pack is stronger than the 2017 game. Kleyn and Beirne is an upgrade from Ryan and Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭selassie

Munster are perennial bottlers in european semi finals, today will be no different.

• Advertisement

selassie wrote: »
    Munster are perennial bottlers in european semi finals, today will be no different.

Joint 2nd-most semi-final wins in competition history :pac:

Advertisement