Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speeding... (Motorcycle)

• 18-04-2019 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I was caught today, nobody on the road, clear and open (but no excuse)
    On a learner permit, got 3 points and 80 euro fine, have to produce docs to local guards, will this seriously impact insurance next time?
    Doing test next week for full licence. Guess they will carry over right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

They will carry over.

Hard to say what difference it will make, no doubt there'd be an increase but that would be offset by the fact at next renewal you'll have a full license so that should bring it down some also.

Just don't get caught speeding again.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

They will carry over.

Hard to say what difference it will make, no doubt there'd be an increase but that would be offset by the fact at next renewal you'll have a full license so that should bring it down some also.

It would not be unheard of for people to not inform the Insurer about PP. Just don't get caught speeding again.

I know, f$%ked up, always keep it to the limit, maybe 2/3% over but not what I got caught for this time, anyway lesson learned is one not wasted. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Was that with the gun, where'd you get done?

Sorry to hear that by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would tell your insurer, there is a database of points that they can access and if you are found to have not declared material facts then they are entitled to cancel your insurance, this makes it very hard to get insured again.
    Its up to you but bad decisions can haunt you.

zubair wrote: »
    Was that with the gun, where'd you get done?

Sorry to hear that by the way.

Yep, motorbike guard, chapelizod bypass. Nice guard in fairness, it was my first time ever being spoken to by a guard for anything in my life and was a little shakey. Had all my docs to show when asked. Took details and sent on my way.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I would tell your insurer, there is a database of points that they can access and if you are found to have not declared material facts then they are entitled to cancel your insurance, this makes it very hard to get insured again.
    Its up to you but bad decisions can haunt you.

Would I tell them now or when my insurance is up and I go to renew, that's the time they ask right or is it standard to update them right there and then so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You haven't got the points yet though.

You must inform when they are applied and this will only happen after payment of fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

sirmixalot wrote: »
    Yep, motorbike guard, chapelizod bypass. Nice guard in fairness, it was my first time ever being spoken to by a guard for anything in my life and was a little shakey. Had all my docs to show when asked. Took details and sent on my way.

Fish in a barrel...must have been a right can't or needed to boost his numbers...a simple warning could have been sufficient....

You haven't got the points yet though.

You must inform when they are applied and this will only happen after payment of fine.

Cool, I'll produce docs to guards, they'll issue me with a fine, do I pay there and then or is it sent in the post? And also when they do will they send confirmation of 3 penalty points, how does that go on to your licence though?
    Forgive my ignorance in all this, just never gone through it before...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cool, I'll produce docs to guards, they'll issue me with a fine, do I pay there and then or is it sent in the post? And also when they do will they send confirmation of 3 penalty points, how does that go on to your licence though?
    Forgive my ignorance in all this, just never gone through it before...
    You currently have no points.
    You will receive a fine in the post. Once you pay it, it could be weeks or even a few months before the points are applied to your licence (not physicaklly written on your licence but ono your licence record).

• Advertisement

Warning would of been great but maybe this will stick more with me for the future on the roads. Anyway great start to the BH weekend :)

You currently have no points.
    You will receive a fine in the post. Once you pay it, it could be weeks or even a few months before the points are applied to your licence (not physicaklly written on your licence but ono your licence record).

Thanks for that Seth, not up for renewal until Oct 2019
    Once I receive and pay is it advisable to let my insurer know that this happened? It's not like they could put up my insurance anymore mid way through it, that'd only be the case once I renew right?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Up to you whether you inform them or not, but they will likely put up your premium, even mid way through policy year. If you don't inform them though and you have an accident, I would guess that your insurance could be void.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks for that Seth, not up for renewal until Oct 2019
    Once I receive and pay is it advisable to let my insurer know that this happened? It's not like they could put up my insurance anymore mid way through it, that'd only be the case once I renew right?

Insurance can add charge of they like.

Wait till you receive fine, pay and you can contact RSA to find out if points are active. They usually send out a letter after 3 years to state points are now gone.

Insurance can add charge of they like.

Wait till you receive fine, pay and you can contact RSA to find out if points are active. They usually send out a letter after 3 years to state points are now gone.

Cheers for that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Warning would of been great but maybe this will stick more with me for the future on the roads. Anyway great start to the BH weekend :)
    A warning for what? That there was a speed trap ahead?
    Check your policy documentation.
    If it says that you must inform them if you receive points then tell them. Otherwise I'd wait until renewal.
    The letter from the RSA should contain Effective From and To dates.

A warning for what? That there was a speed trap ahead?

A verbal warning from the Guard, more telling me to cop on, that kinda warning. But will check my policy like you said, Thanks again,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Insurance companies don't impose an increase for your first 3 points, you'll be fine.

The sting is they're on your licence for three years, which is a long time. Then in three years you'll have another heart attack when you get the same headed notice from the fvckers but this time telling you the points are gone, but you'll crap yourself thinking its more points until you read it twice lol.

In hindsight it was the death of a few friends then finally a speeding fine and three penalty points which finally put the brakes on me acting the bollox.

In hindsight it was the death of a few friends then finally a speeding fine and three penalty points which finally put the brakes on me acting the bollox.
    , Cheers Clark Many Bologna, it certainly has me a little rattled.

Also, to throw another level of confusion for me on this then I have a learner IRL licence for my bike, I also have a full UK for the car. How does that stack up points wise? They applied to both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

Also, to throw another level of confusion for me on this then I have a learner IRL licence for my bike, I also have a full UK for the car. How does that stack up points wise? They applied to both?

Just the Irish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

I got points once ever, from the payment of the fine to applying the points took 5 months. The 3 years kicks in from date of application of points, it isn’t backdated to when you were stopped or paid the fine. For the first year I declared the penalty points, it made no difference to the premium but times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

How will that work when you pass the test? You're not supposed to have a licence from more than one EU member state(I know Brexit but UK aren't gone yet). This is why I swapped my Irish licence for UK one up here when doing bike lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Word of warning they are out in force this weekend. Both motorcycle and other traffic orientated groups

They are out to catch people it's a heightened enforcement period.

So take extra care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Were you far over the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

listermint wrote: »
    Word of warning they are out in force this weekend. Both motorcycle and other traffic orientated groups

They are out to catch people it's a heightened enforcement period.

So take extra care

Exactly..fore warned etc....remember, these bike cops are'nt your friend....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭colm_c

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    How will that work when you pass the test? You're not supposed to have a licence from more than one EU member state(I know Brexit but UK aren't gone yet). This is why I swapped my Irish licence for UK one up here when doing bike lessons.

They are two different categories, so you can have both.

PITA, I'd just swap it over when you pass your test.

Advertisement