Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Got my 1st Learner Permit... What next

Options
  • 12-04-2019 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I have just aquired my 1st Learner Permit for bikes. I am 36 years old and want to start riding.

I have experience (about 6 years) riding bikes from my own country.

I would like advice what to do next.

Which bike to buy to start with?
    Which insurance company?
    etc.

Advice will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Have you done your IBT yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

No i have not... what is it and where to do it.
    zubair wrote: »
    Have you done your IBT yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It is Initial Basic Training:
    Initial Basic Training (IBT) is a mandatory training course that teaches basic riding skills to learner motorcyclists.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Initial-basic-training-IBT-for-motorcyclists/

While you have ridden in your home country before, it is a requirement to ride legally here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Can your current licence be exchanged for a full Irish driving licence for the category of bike you want here? If not and you're an experienced biker that just needs to "tick the boxes" for an IBT to get your Irish permit, some training centres provide condensed schedule courses that fit it all into one intensive weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Do you have a foreign licence?
    Exchanging a foreign licence: Details
    It's not just for EU/EEA countries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

OP, best thing to do is to give Mick Finlay a shout, he's a moderator on this forum under the username LookBehindYou. He can answer all your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

Thank you guys. My take is that i have to do IBT. I have licence but it is not exchangeable here in Ireland. I will look for IBT providers now. But perhaps you guys can answer one more question.

In terms of first bike, what should i take. The end goal is to ride a proper bike and get the licence with most categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

iwantthat wrote: »
    Thank you guys. My take is that i have to do IBT. I have licence but it is not exchangeable here in Ireland. I will look for IBT providers now. But perhaps you guys can answer one more question.

In terms of first bike, what should i take. The end goal is to ride a proper bike and get the licence with most categories.

Seeing as you have the 6 years experience, that opens up a lot of bike options to you from the get go, so best advice is to go and try out different bikes.

Most insurance companies will only insure you up to a certain engine size, around 750cc or so and above that the costs are either massive or they won't cover. For example, it's really hard to get insurance on a GS1200 with a Learner licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

This site
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/no-name-yet/
    explains the process for obtaining a motorbike licence in Ireland.

If you're an experuenced bike and over 24 the Direct Access for Category A would be the way to go.

Advertisement