Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I insure a car that has no tax or nct?

• 10-04-2019 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

My car is broken down at the moment and I'm worried it might be a write off. I will have to get another car if it is, but I don't want there to be a break in the insurance even for a few days as I've heard that this can break no claims bonuses etc. I have an old car in my driveway that has no tax or nct that I could insure while I'm looking for a new one. Am I able to do this?
    Note: the car that's in my driveway that I want to insure in the meantime is the car that I had insured on the policy before the one that's broken down at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Why not just keep the insurance on the broken down car? Or m I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Jp1506

idnkph wrote: »
    Why not just keep the insurance on the broken down car? Or m I missing something?

Oh sorry. Because it will be towed to a garage to see how bad the damage is. So if it is wrote off, I'll have nowhere to store it in meantime. Will have to get a 'cash for cars' man to take it from the garage so in order to do that I will have to sell it to him basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bessboroughboy

Continue with insurance on broken car as normal, simply transfer the insurance to the old car if you want to drive it for a while.

Don't ask about NCT or tax, just ask to transfer insurance.

That way, your insurance won't lapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your no-claims bonus remains valid for two years after it was issued. A short break in insurance is not a problem. It would be ridiculous to spend money maintaining insurance on a car you don't drive. Especially when you could also get someone to take that car away and give you cash for it.

That said, most insurance companies won't refund you any premium once you're 6 months or so into the policy, so if you've only a couple of months left to go on your policy, then keep it.

To answer your base question, no the car doesn't need to be taxed or NCTed for you to insure it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

You can suspend your policy if you dont need a car at the moment. Thats basically freezing the insurance. This is advantageous as

1) The bonus you have earned up to this point will stay valid

2) You will be entitled to a pro-rata return once the suspension remains in place for at least 30 consecutive days ie you will get money back for the duration the policy is suspended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

seamus wrote: »
    To answer your base question, no the car doesn't need to be taxed or NCTed for you to insure it.

Not strictly true as some insurers will not cover a car without an NCT and/or tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Not strictly true as some insurers will not cover a car without an NCT and/or tax.

That is true.

The car isnt allowed on the road so they wont insure it if it doesn't have those.

You can still insure the car, just not a driving insurance. They will sell you specific insurance for the car sitting in storage or on your driveway.

Advertisement