Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Self study Physics for LC

• 08-04-2019 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Looking for opinions on feasibility of self studying Physics for Leaving Cert. My son is interested in college careers with Maths and Physics but his school isn't offering Physics as an option and he doesn't want to move schools. He's bright but not a genius or anything. Could he do it on his own at home ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭RoamingDoc

Physics has a laboratory component that students need to complete.

The syllabus states that records of the experiments must be retained for the duration of the course.

Is there a local school that you could liaise with?

Another though:

A possible compromise would be to take applied maths and sit that.

If he studied physics at home just to keep along with the LC, he'd have a nice understanding without necessarily having to take the exam.

Science at third level is taught from the beginning, so while it might be a lot of learning at the start, it wouldn't rule him out of doing physics and maths at college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

That would be an issue alright. There is a few of them in the same boat. The school might let them use the lab maybe, maybe not. Outside of that I'm just wondering is it a subject that could be learned out of a book or would you definitely need a teacher explaining the various concepts.

RoamingDoc wrote: »
    Another though:

A possible compromise would be to take applied maths and sit that.

If he studied physics at home just to keep along with the LC, he'd have a nice understanding without necessarily having to take the exam.

Science at third level is taught from the beginning, so while it might be a lot of learning at the start, it wouldn't rule him out of doing physics and maths at college.

Thanks for that. More to consider.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Outside of that I'm just wondering is it a subject that could be learned out of a book or would you definitely need a teacher explaining the various concepts.

That's a very good question. To be honest, while I'd hesitate to have one of mine take a LC subject without a teacher for backup, it is very possible to pick these things up with online videos, and asking questions on trusted places.

Use of lab facilities in other schools is quite common but not always a viable option, especially in more rural areas where the number of schools is smaller.

• Advertisement

RoamingDoc wrote: »
    That's a very good question. To be honest, while I'd hesitate to have one of mine take a LC subject without a teacher for backup, it is very possible to pick these things up with online videos, and asking questions on trusted places.

Use of lab facilities in other schools is quite common but not always a viable option, especially in more rural areas where the number of schools is smaller.

Yeah, I'm not loving the idea of doing it without a teacher myself but will research it as much as possible before final decisions. Good point about online videos. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

If he's moderately bright and (more importantly) motivated, then it may be possible. There are other supports possible such as private grinds and revision courses. Maybe borrow a copy of the LC textbook and have him look at a chapter or two, see how he feels about it. If he's doing it, you should make sure someone who knows what they're doing helps him structure his time studying it. Make a plan for what to cover and when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

He'd probably be better off doing Applied Maths as there is no experimental element, and study it using youtube videos and khan academy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Hi what did he choose to do in the end?

If he's self-studying tell him to check out physicsforums.com is a great little website, and he can get homework help too.

Advertisement