Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance for 22 year old car

Options
  • 06-04-2019 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I drive a 1997 Starlet that has been a great car and always gets though the NCT no problem but my insurance quotes are starting to get a bit expensive.

Renewal with Liberty is €925(6 years no claim bonus)

I got a quote for a 2012 octavia with BOI online for €450 but they won't insure a car over 16 years old.
    I rang chill and they don't cover cars over 15 years old.

I'm just trying to find out if liberty's quote is fair. If anyone knows insurance companies that will take on new policys for cars 20+ years old, could you post and I will add to a list and call them all on Monday.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Odd Chill won't cover your car because of age, because they covered my 98 and mine is a heavily loaded model(Jap import and Type R) and they covered it fully comp for just over 800. I was a new policy on their books too. My previous insurer had been at the drinks cabinet and came out with an insane number to reinsure it. Now I'm 50 and have never once had a claim ever in 30 odd years of driving and no points either, so maybe that's it? Then again as I have long found with the insurance industry in Ireland it's extremely dependent on the day you ring, the weather outside, the phases of the moon, or the flip of a coin.

A year back I did the usual long winded ring around before renewal and went down the list of insurers. Because of the volume of calls spread out in between doing other stuff, by mistake I rang the same company twice and even though surely they had my details from the first call, when I looked at my notes the quote varied by nearly a third within a week. Like I say T, sometimes it's flip a bloody coin.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I got a renewal quote for my xtrail (2004) of 1,325. No accidents no claims full no claims bonus bla bla bla and they still send me a quote like that. Starting giving me all this crap about diesel vs petrol and how insurance can be affected by that. Utter bull sh!t.

I rung around and am now getting lower quotes of 650. It seems some companies just quote whatever they feel like quoting at the time of a phonecall. It is scandalous what they are allowed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Wibbs wrote: »
    Odd Chill won't cover your car because of age, because they covered my 98 and mine is a heavily loaded model(Jap import and Type R) and they covered it fully comp for just over 800.

When did your policy start? There's a thread on the insurance forum where many people got good quotes from chill on old cars but that was last year and I have no example of people getting quoted with them this year.
    I'm 36 with 6 years no claims so I would think I'm fairly average liability.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FWIW T Mine started in Feb of this year. Rang them in January.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

tuxy wrote: »
    I drive a 1997 Starlet that has been a great car and always gets though the NCT no problem but my insurance quotes are starting to get a bit expensive.

Renewal with Liberty is €925(6 years no claim bonus)

I got a quote for a 2012 octavia with BOI online for €450 but they won't insure a car over 16 years old.
    I rang chill and they don't cover cars over 15 years old.

I'm just trying to find out if liberty's quote is fair. If anyone knows insurance companies that will take on new policys for cars 20+ years old, could you post and I will add to a list and call them all on Monday.

Op what milage do you do a year and is it the only car in the house ?

• Advertisement

Just to add for full info, mine's a daily, don't have another car, in Dublin, parked outside, alarmed to feck. No open drive was about the only difference between Chill and last years insurer. Oh and last year I was only third party fire and theft at over double the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

https://www.iveta.ie/index.php/insurance

They will insure a car vintage at 20 years old at 220 euro.
    Mileage is limited.
    Im not sure if you need another car in the family though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

9935452 wrote: »
    https://www.iveta.ie/index.php/insurance

They will insure a car vintage at 20 years old at 220 euro.
    Mileage is limited.
    Im not sure if you need another car in the family though

That link might be useful in the future but if you check the proposal form
    https://www.iveta.ie/downloads/IVETA_Insurance_Proposal_Form.pdf
    You need to give them details of your main motor policy so it's the same as all classic and vintage policies where you need to have another more modern car insured.

Advertisement