Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Base program

• 05-04-2019 6:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I'm a novice runner, currently doing around 25km a week. Tentatively thinking of aiming to do a marathon later on in the year and wondered what's the best / recommended base training plan I could use to build up a better base before embarking on a marathon training plan ?

Currently getting out 3 times a week but plan on increasing this to 4 times. Did a half last month in 2hr 14 mins, so definitely not a fast runner :)

Any recommendations ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭VW 1

Best advice I could give is to join in the marathon thread here, huge numbers of successful marathon completions in the past and support and encouragement from a peer group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

You can have a look at generic marathon training plans on the internet, like that one: https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/novice-1-marathon/

It does give you some general training tips as well as, in addition to the training schedule.

Also, in a few weeks we will start our annual "Mentored Novices" thread for the Dublin marathon, and I would very much recommend to take part in that, even if you are aiming for a different marathon than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ballybog

Great, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for the mentored novices thread, sounds exactly what I am after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ballybog wrote: »
    I'm a novice runner, currently doing around 25km a week. Tentatively thinking of aiming to do a marathon later on in the year and wondered what's the best / recommended base training plan I could use to build up a better base before embarking on a marathon training plan ?

Currently getting out 3 times a week but plan on increasing this to 4 times. Did a half last month in 2hr 14 mins, so definitely not a fast runner :)

Any recommendations ?

Thanks.

Speed is all relative, you're fast compared to some! And you're definitely faster that the lad/lady on the couch ;)

Keep it up. Consistency will reap the most improvement. Getting out 3-4 times per week is a great start. To maintain consistency you need to stay injury free, to do this you need to run sensibly! Most of your runs should be very easy pace, you should be able to hold a conversation while you're running. And increase the distance only very gradually. At the level you're at you will get faster just by running consistently (have i used that word enough times yet :p).

The mentored novice plan usually starts around May, it's hard to believe that's coming around again very soon. It's a fantastic hang-out, you will learn plenty and as a bonus make a great bunch of friends too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ballybog

Thanks Ariana. My current motto is: Slow and Steady :) Increasing the mileage slowly - pace is definitely not increasing just yet though so just going to keep at it.

Can't wait for the mentored novice plan to start - hard to believe we're nearly there already !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Lazare

The mere fact you're asking about a base plan before embarking on a marathon block means you'll do well.

There's a great 10 week base plan in Faster Road Racing, but it's simply just mostly easy running building up the mileage.

Build up to 30 mpw over 10 weeks with easy running, small amount of strides and you'll be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sorbet

Novice runner too who was wondering the same so thanks for posting Ballybog.

Lazare, I've worked up to 23 miles pw and was wondering if I should stop increasing before novice plan so that's helpful to know I should keep going to 30 - basic question but - it's ok at this stage to do 3 four mile runs and one long run that would work up to 18 miles or should I cut the long run at this stage to something lower and extend the 4 milers? After reading a fair bit of last years Novice DCM thread I'm doing all my runs slow at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

There's no need to be going anywhere near an 18 mile run at this point. 10/12 miles is all you need for now for a long run if you find it comfortable and a few 4/5 mile runs thrown in during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

There are a few rules of thumb regarding the long run, one is that the long run should be no more than about 25% or 33% (depending on who you ask) of your weekly mileage, another one is that the long run should be no more than twice as long as your second longest run.

As with all such rules the validity is up for debate, but they definitely agree that for a 30 mile week an 18 mile long run would be WAY too much.

Advertisement