Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

D'Agger wrote: »
    So I did a good deadlift set yesterday (for my standards), I did plenty warm up but the set was essentially:

1x8 60KG
    1x8 80KG
    2x5 120kg
    1x8 80KG
    1x8 60kg

That's a new best for myself weight wise doing 120KG, previously had only hit 110kg but wondering if people think I should perhaps be doing more reps before going to that max weight I can hit, or add one set of 5 at 100kg maybe? My upper back is pretty sore today, from googling this is apparently normal when lifting heavier weights and I'd imagine my problem may be that I wasn't engaging my lats enough, though I do but would be interested to hear what folks here recommend, perhaps I should be sticking do doing 4x8 80KG to get form better before looking to push past the 100KG mark again to get form down, I haven't had this type of upper back pain previously so perhaps my form just let me down on this occasion?

Finally, if I run through the movement, my back is actually sore putting the imaginary weight down, perhaps this may have caused it

When you say upper back, you mean the upper end of your lats? Or your traps? If it's your traps, then you are probably shrugging your shoulders, which you shouldn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

When you say upper back, you mean the upper end of your lats? Or your traps? If it's your traps, then you are probably shrugging your shoulders, which you shouldn't do.
    Thoracic area of my back, fairly central as though its my spine, though my traps are a bit sore, I reckon that's from different exercises from a different session.

I read that with heavier weights you can tend to over extend your thoracic spine when straightening up due to load which may explain it. I'm not in mad pain, just a bit of an ache that I'm aware of all day. I do reckon my form wasn't great for a few of the heavier lifts, hamstrings are a bit sore today but my glutes seem fine which shouldn't really be the case I think

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

One possibility is that you're not externally rotating your shoulders to 'pack' your lats. Which then pulls your shoulders forward and your upper back will round during the lift.

But it could be several things based on what you said.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

shutup wrote: »
    During my last few work outs I have had to stop half way through because I’m getting very heavy, dull head aches centred around forehead and front of head.
    I’m doing body weight circuits and feeling great other wise and had being improving reps etc until the headache kicks in. It feels like I’ve bust a blood vessel and my head is filling up!
    Is this common enough or a sign for anything?
    Thanks

Mod note: this sounds like a medical issue. Please see a doctor.

Can I ask that no one gives advise beyond that please

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I am a woman and my shoulder flexibility is very poor. I am working on it with stretches and mobility exercises.

My overhead press was always very weak. In fact, the first time I overhead pressed I ran out of steam after about 3 reps with 2kg dumbells.

I have improved since then but, Ive been stuck at 17kg for the LONGEST time now (12kg bar with 2.5kg on either side).

Its like my muscles just go weak super quick doing it. The first set (10 reps) is fine, the second is more of a challenge and often in the 3rd set I stop at 7 reps (knackered from it), rest a bit, and then squeeze out 3 more.

I only overhead press once a week. Im not too worried about being able to press loads of weight, but I am curious as to how/why I go to failure so quickly with it compared to other exercises.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    I am a woman and my shoulder flexibility is very poor. I am working on it with stretches and mobility exercises.

My overhead press was always very weak. In fact, the first time I overhead pressed I ran out of steam after about 3 reps with 2kg dumbells.

I have improved since then but, Ive been stuck at 17kg for the LONGEST time now (12kg bar with 2.5kg on either side).

Its like my muscles just go weak super quick doing it. The first set (10 reps) is fine, the second is more of a challenge and often in the 3rd set I stop at 7 reps (knackered from it), rest a bit, and then squeeze out 3 more.

I only overhead press once a week. Im not too worried about being able to press loads of weight, but I am curious as to how/why I go to failure so quickly with it compared to other exercises.

They're small muscles so they will fatigue quicker.

Progress will likely be slow but stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

+1
    I am a female too and can empathise completely - I have done so much work on my OHP and progress is still tiny.

I just looked back on an old thread from 2 years and 8 months ago
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100538307

In August 2016 I just hit 10kg DBs for 4 sets of 6

Last week I just about managed 5 sets of 6 with 15kg DBs (some grinders in there for sure)
    In the intervening period I have been OHP with either DBs or a bar twice most weeks along with a good bit of shoulder accessory work.
    I also find my capacity/performance varies a lot more than other lifts e.g. when I am more tired the reps I can hit suffer a lot so it can be a bit up and down more than other lifts.

Feels like very slow progress but it is still progress! Stick with it :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,035 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Can I just say since I've seen this thread, I've reduced my reps to 8 and I'm lifting more. Thank you.

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    getting shoulder pain on one side when doing chin ups, any thoughts on whats most likely causing it and how to clear it up?

Definitely palms facing you?

It'd be more common on pull ups with palms out and it'd likely be rotator cuff aggravation.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Definitely palms facing you?

It'd be more common on pull ups with palms out and it'd likely be rotator cuff aggravation.

Its actually with a neutral grip. Heavy pull downs or any other pulling movement doesnt cause this, its just something on this movement that my shoulder doesnt like.

• Advertisement

+1
    I am a female too and can empathise completely - I have done so much work on my OHP and progress is still tiny.

Cheers guys.

I might switch to dumbbells for a change. I forgot that I stopped doing OHP for ages last year due to a shoulder injury.

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Its actually with a neutral grip. Heavy pull downs or any other pulling movement doesnt cause this, its just something on this movement that my shoulder doesnt like.

I had the same with dips. A long time shoulder problem and assumed it was down to benching. Eventually worked out it was dips, for whatever reason, and dropped them.

No more pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

I had the same with dips. A long time shoulder problem and assumed it was down to benching. Eventually worked out it was dips, for whatever reason, and dropped them.

No more pain.

Yeah think i will take the same route on these

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Anyone have some upper body only recommendations? No back loading and overhead press is off the table right now.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Anyone have some upper body only recommendations? No back loading and overhead press is off the table right now.

If OHP is an issue, what exactly are the limitations for upper body work?

You seem to have been through the injury wringer...

If OHP is an issue, what exactly are the limitations for upper body work?

You seem to have been through the injury wringer...

Ugh ye tell me about it. And I was just starting to feel back to normal from the initial injury.ah well got my mri now and microsurgery is possibly on the table. Think my powerlifiting days are over :(.

Anyway. Limitations as far as I know is no compression of the spine. I know that's vague and open but I was too busy processing to ask enough questions at the time. Hopefully I'll know more next week.

I guess I'm looking for a good bench routine that might involve some arm and row work. Since that sounds like the only thing I can do right now. With no arch...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,823 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ugh ye tell me about it. And I was just starting to feel back to normal from the initial injury.ah well got my mri now and microsurgery is possibly on the table. Think my powerlifiting days are over :(.

Anyway. Limitations as far as I know is no compression of the spine. I know that's vague and open but I was too busy processing to ask enough questions at the time. Hopefully I'll know more next week.

I guess I'm looking for a good bench routine that might involve some arm and row work. Since that sounds like the only thing I can do right now. With no arch...

what caused the injury?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

So if no spinal compression then look at things where you are lying with your back supported, such as *light* bench pressing, forward facing inclined rows, horizontal shrugs, reverse chest fly and horizontal chest fly, forward facing inclined frontal raises., triceps and biceps while supported too.....

silverharp wrote: »
    what caused the injury?

Deadlifting with a number I shouldn't have been basing my max off. That was the first trigger. Then it's just re-injuring the same spot while slowly trying to work around it. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Do you have access to a belt squat machine?

• Advertisement

Deadlifting with a number I shouldn't have been basing my max off. That was the first trigger. Then it's just re-injuring the same spot while slowly trying to work around it. Very frustrating.

Whereabouts is the injury, lower back or higher up - might help people to advise.

Also lots of cable exercises that you could do.

It would probably be a good idea for you to do a session with a good physical therapist who is familiar with gym injuries who can outline whats safe for you in your current state. I appreciate such a person can be difficult to find - I know one if you are in south dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,823 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Role of cable upper body v dumbbell ? I understand cables are good in that they are better at the ends of range of motion than in this case dumbbells but in very broad terms are cables best seen as a support to dumbbells 1/3 or 1/4 time? Or does alternate workout work?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Role of cable upper body v dumbbell ? I understand cables are good in that they are better at the ends of range of motion than in this case dumbbells but in very broad terms are cables best seen as a support to dumbbells 1/3 or 1/4 time? Or does alternate workout work?

The level of intensities and the types of exercises you can do with both DBs cable are in the realm of isolation type exercises. Much bigger range of exercises you can do with DBs hence they're used a lot more.

It doesn't matter which you use. You're loading a movement, don't over think it.

they/them/theirs

Ive a question.

There are 3 types of grips for pulls ups in my gym.

The outer grips which are the standard horizontal palms facing away type. Then the next ones in are poking towards you, neutral grip palms facing each other.

Then there is a narrow set, these are shaped more like horns, the grip is narrow, with palm facing and they are higher than the other grips (the horns point up).

I can pull up unassisted on the last type. Mostly because the grip is most comfortable, but also because presumably this recruits the biceps more?

Im not too fond of the neutral grip ones - just feel awkward.

I use the wide grip ones but cannot pull up unassisted on them.

So my question is this - should I bother with the narrow grip ones I can pull up unassisted on - will they help me get unassisted on the wide grip ones or is it a completely different movement?

Im female and have never tried pull ups before now. Mid 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

current program has renegade rows in it.
    Never tried them before.
    I just don't see the point after 2 weeks.

Thinking of sub'ing them out.
    Anybody find them of benefit?

program is fun though only this bit.

I did find them good for core stability (anti rotation) and keeping everything aligned while rowing

....... wrote: »
    Ive a question.

There are 3 types of grips for pulls ups in my gym.

The outer grips which are the standard horizontal palms facing away type. Then the next ones in are poking towards you, neutral grip palms facing each other.

Then there is a narrow set, these are shaped more like horns, the grip is narrow, with palm facing and they are higher than the other grips (the horns point up).

I can pull up unassisted on the last type. Mostly because the grip is most comfortable, but also because presumably this recruits the biceps more?

Im not too fond of the neutral grip ones - just feel awkward.

I use the wide grip ones but cannot pull up unassisted on them.

So my question is this - should I bother with the narrow grip ones I can pull up unassisted on - will they help me get unassisted on the wide grip ones or is it a completely different movement?

Im female and have never tried pull ups before now. Mid 40s.

How many pull ups can you do unassisted now?

If you're doing proper full range pull ups, you can slowly work your grip wider moving it out a few inches once you can do 12-15.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Brian? wrote: »
    once you can do 12-15.

Come on Brian. Think about it.
    Female mid 40s, just started pull ups.
    12 to 15!
    Best of luck doing 15 stick pull ups

• Advertisement

shutup wrote: »
    Come on Brian. Think about it.
    Female mid 40s, just started pull ups.
    12 to 15!
    Best of luck doing 15 stick pull ups

Is this a joke?

they/them/theirs

Advertisement