Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marian Finucane Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

he wouldn't get a vote north of tipperary , no one ever heard of him , a local cultish figure in Cork and comes across as a bit of a cute whooore.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He sends ppl Christmas cards so he’s wonderful apparently...

No doubt the cards are all paid for by expenses

and he gave me the 'cork person of the month award ' so he's a brilliant politician ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Apparently that makes the well pensioned Crowley the "greatest politician of our time" - with zero backsplash from the phlegmy Marian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I always got the feeling that at least part of his reason for not resigning was so as to stick it to Michael Martin. I don't buy this whole "I don't hold any grudges" nonsense, his behaviour does not ring true with this sentiment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

Serious question - apart from being in a wheelchair, what is this guys Claim to fame ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

RTE are pushing this "change your diet" stuff very hard the last few days. I wonder what is behind it.

RTE are pushing this "change your diet" stuff very hard the last few days. I wonder what is behind it.
    RTE is awash with hipsters who dont live in the real world .

Serious question - apart from being in a wheelchair, what is this guys Claim to fame ?

The last guy with a Mullet in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Whilst not wishing such a plight on anyone, its the entire reason he got elected down the years

He's no FDR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

My Dad supports FF and gets one every year-it’s of excellent quality. It makes me so angry that he has been elected to represent my constituency but been absent in Brussels

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Personally I'm not a big meat eater but I did wonder why this report is getting wall to wall coverage all week ........ who produced the report & even more important who commissioned and paid for it? I'm a wee bit suspicious of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Same thing on Cormac O Hara now. Is there nothing else newsworthy at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Cutting to breaks in the middle of a flow in conversation wrecks the programme

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

honeybear wrote: »
    Cutting to breaks in the middle of a flow in conversation wrecks the programme

Twice today she waffled on for ages without allowing the guests in

And When the guests got a chance to get a word in edgeways she stopped them, apolgised and went to a break !

My highlight of the day was in the Brexit discussion & addressing the possibility of a UK exit without a deal Geraldine Kennedy contributed that "someone, somewhere will have to come up with something" ... as the alternative was too terrible to contemplate. ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I tuned in today for a short time to hear the famous coughing and spluttering. It was during a discussion about the cost of the children's hospital. I couldn't hear any coughing or spluttering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I tuned in today for a short time to hear the famous coughing and spluttering. It was during a discussion about the cost of the children's hospital. I couldn't hear any coughing or spluttering.

I'm sure there's a podcast of yesterday's show if it's coughing and spluttering that floats your boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Dunno, maybe the listening public like predictability. She just keeps churning out the same old views, the same agendas with same the guests popping up again and again. You can pretty much predict what questions she will ask and what she lets slip by.

She was refreshing and good once IMHO but a tired docket these days. Happens to all the best, stay too long.

Try, Marian, ever the voice of Current Affairs in Ireland is a pain in the side of commercial stations, that once tried to pinch her from RTE, but failed. Seems to me, that they haven't yet got over that!

Greenman wrote: »
    She didn't sound great, health wise. She is in the pay of Philip Morris :-( I wonder if she had her time again would she have started? just a thought.

That's her business and has nothing got to do with your guesswork.

The thing that is really frustrating is that nothing ever gets done. Nobody is held to account for the poor performances. And the next time her contract is up for renewal, her agent will walk in to RTE management and convince them that Marion is the best broadcaster in the country and probably get her a pay rise. If it was illness then you could have some sympathy, but the fact that she just keeps on smoking means that she is not treating the high profile and high paid job that she has with the professionalism it should be. Like a professional footballer who goes out drinking before a match.
    Figures (listenship) regularly return some of the best in the country for her programmes. Are you used to listening better. List them please.

She gets the same old listeners like yourself every week, so no need to change.

She also gets the regular 'knockers' on here every week. Never a constructive argument to demonstrate "awful programme", but always full of personal jibes. Bravery behind keyboards.

Just heard a replay of yesterday’s Sat. show.

The lady could hardly talk with the wheezing and throat clearing.

Started right from the off.

Cheerleading the 'moan' crowd again Brendan. Can you manage a 'constructive critique' . Maybe beyond your thought processing power?

TBh i think the Marian show is a bit like the Office. You listen and wonder, is this for real or is it a comedy send off. Her speciality seems to be , those with a serious sense of entitlement and/or Insiders, those who existin the same bubble as her and her like. For example, yesterday mornings opener, a couple of actors, involved with the Abbey. They went on and on, about how vital the Abbey is to irish culture etc. Marian seemed to agree completely with them. No akward questions about how much tax payers moneyhas to go into supporting the place. Personally i have never been in the Abbey and im not sure i know anyone who actually has been to a show there. Im not saying places like this dont have to feature or be supported, but the way marian and friends discuss such things you would think it was a matter of life and death.
    Then she just slips in something about how nasty people burned down the hotel in Roosky to stop asylum seekers moving there. This shows how insulated she is from normal people. You may agree or disagree with what happened in Roosky, but resettling people coming from that difficult background in a small rural town with limited amenities is surely unfair to all concerned and likely to store up problems for the future.
    You can be sure there wont be a direct provision center getting built in Montrose

Thank you. At least you've demonstrated to the rest of us that this programme is outside your comprehension.

I'm talking about Murray as a means of getting her out the door straight away, and using the resources that are already in your employ. I would prefer Brendan O'Connor permanently as well. This whole myth that "well if Marion goes to another station the figures will go through the floor" is just that - a myth. And RTE are never strong enough to actually challenge the presenters on this. How many listeners did they lose when Pat Kenny left? The world did not end, and Sean O'Rourke was just as good as Kenny (slightly better imo as he has a better sense of humour). And the Marion Finucane of 2018 is no Pat Kenny. She wanted to be a contractor for money reasons, and this gives RTE the option of not renewing.

who do we have on today. I'm guessing a plumber, a chippie and a brickie?

Are you asking for a place on the programme?

I'd love to know if the show's ratings drop when Marian isn't on the air. Do people tune in because it's Marian or simply out of habit. My feeling is that Marian's no Gerry Ryan. He had a dedicated fanbase of people who interacted with the show and felt a connection to him because of his broadcasting style. Do people really connect with Marian to this extent? I'd love to hire her agent though - who wouldn't love to earn money like hers for such little time on the air?

Your simply saying that your efforts in radio failed. Mariana record is second to none over (her) lifetime of broadcasting. And then along comes you...

One of the great mysteries of our time U.

Better minds than I have failed to crack that one.

At least you openly admit your (radio) qualification.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    She coughed and spluttered her way through the intro this morning - even worse than usual as she obviously has a dose of something - are there no production standards in RTE where the big names are concerned? When are you unfit to present a show?

Are you now medically diagnosing over airways? How serious is it doc?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement