Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronan Collins Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Seeing as RTE's last two big name additions to daytime were Ryan Tubridy and Ray D'Arcy, I await their "freshening up" with bated breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I don't have a problem with Ronan as a presenter but I don't listen to the show because of the music. Radio 1 suffers from trying to be all things to all men - what is its target demographic? If there is one.. Would John Creedon's playlists be considered to be too racy for that time of the day?

That used to be his slot until he was moved to Late Date for a while some years back.

I think that shock to the system made a man of John.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Don't know about the bed bit, but the relic bit is definitely true.

Time for a freshen up here.
    I would agree that he is a gent,but Jaysus how long is this show on now?

The same patter, the same general music, the same auld cadence like he doesn’t even have to think about it, just rattle off the few tunes ,shuffle the briefcase, toddle off home to prepare something exactly similar tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after.

Nothing even remotely personal against the lad but this slot needs a good kick in the hole, figuratively speaking.

Needs a change, a freshen up, a shuffle, a spring clean.

Music by numbers gets tiresome no matter how much of a gent the presenter is.
    It’s not really ‘replacing it’ with anything too different, it’s about freshening it up with another voice, another tone, different music, different patter.

It’s about changing the ‘ voice in the dressing room’ as it were.

Opening the window like, letting in the fresh air.
    Aaah yes... they should never have built the M1

I miss the 40 minute delays each time going through Swords, Balbriggan, Drogheda, and the rest.Great towns ,lovely people, lovely scenery, should never have changed anything.... I mean who wants to get to Belfast in just over 90 mins when you could spend 4and a half hours sitting in bolttlenecks.

Block off the frikken M1, I don’t want any change.

No frikken way, stick with what we know, the chipper in Bellingham always had the same Ray an chips going through, always the same, you could have ray and chips or chips and ray....auld lad behind the counter always had the same patter,
    “Aaah will you look who it is, welcome to the chipper, what’ll it be, ray & chips or chips & ray.

I just love the sameness of Ronan, same inflections, same sayings... still holding hands, roundy birthdays, same music......sure lookit, what eeejit would want that to change..... Ronan forever..... I just love the sameness of it all.

So I do.
    Ronan’s cadence and patter hasn’t changed for the last twenty years.

For Jaysus sake it’s time to freshen it up.

Up down up down up down..... .:mad:
    It’s a matter of taste Wheels, I have nothing against Ronan, seems a very good guy, but at 1200hrs ,I either switch off, change the dial, or go out and clean the budgies cage.

You like the patter, the roundy birthdays, the up and down breezy cadence...the feeling that the format will never change from opening line to closing comments

Fine.... different strokes...... not for this listener.
    How do you deduce that......the number of listeners per show really is not a good representation about how “right” someone is doing.

Could it be that the coterie who tune into RTE R1 are too lazy to switch stations or switch off before The News at One.

Lookit..... Ronan is a good guy.....but....the same auld patter, same auld up-down- down -up delivery has, in my opinion gone past its sell by.

Ronan sounds as he could do the show in his sleep, no change, same patter, same content, same format, for the last 20 years!

C’mon dudes.........time to freshen things up.

Say goodbye to the 1970s

C’mon dude.........time to freshen things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Brian Scan wrote: »
    C’mon dude.........time to freshen things up.

Good call Brian. .. put a lot of work into that so you did.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

How do you deduce that......the number of listeners per show really is not a good representation about how “right” someone is doing.

Could it be that the coterie who tune into RTE R1 are too lazy to switch stations or switch off before The News at One.

Lookit..... Ronan is a good guy.....but....the same auld patter, same auld up-down- down -up delivery has, in my opinion gone past its sell by.

Ronan sounds as he could do the show in his sleep, no change, same patter, same content, same format, for the last 20 years!

C’mon dudes.........time to freshen things up.

Say goodbye to the 1970s
    Those that wish to switch the dial have done so by the time he comes on I would imagine. The rest that tune in are there because they know what they want. He plays music that appeals to that demographic, so I do not doubt his popularity. The slot between 12-1 on Radio 1 is meant to be nice and easy. No big changes needed. All it needs is a safe pair of hands. Ronan does that. That's what the listeners want.

I have no idea if Ronan could do the show in his sleep. But the fact you think he could just shows what a good presenter he is. A few decades honing his craft, and to the listener he makes it all sound easy. It takes a lot of practice to get to that point. Every presenter has their own style, and his delivery suits the show.

I don't see it as a bad thing that he has stuck with the same format. In my view, changing things like formats do have a place, but often they are just done for the sake of doing something. Messing around with the format after all this time could actually lose him listeners. It goes back to my earlier point, he has his fanbase, they know what they want, and RTE would be silly to go messing around with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Good call Brian. .. put a lot of work into that so you did.

Not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Until I know what, and who (whom?) "freshening-up" entails I'll opt for the status quo.

We are a deeply conservative People.

We are a deeply conservative People.

Oh, deeply 'cos it's important the country maintains its light-entertainment traditions - and the angelus.
    Maybe adjust your goggles for perspective.

Until I know what, and who (whom?) "freshening-up" entails I'll opt for the status quo.

It’s like getting away from what has been going on for nearly 30 years.

It’s like Aer Lingus giving the planes and general company a new fresh look.

It’s like An Post changing their modus operandi and moving into parcels, home deliverys, more items and more services in their offices.

It’s like the big supermarkets doing home delivery,providing on line services and generally moving into the 21st century.

In other words, common sense.

Get a new presenter, new format,new voice, new way of doing things and presenting a programme.

I mean we can’t still be listening to the Charles Mitchel way of delivering the news in the year 2019.

Time for change, I don’t bother listening to RTE 1 radio between 1200-1300, too predictable, too same as it ever was, time to move the sticks.

Jaysus the Gaa did it with Croke Park, the rugby with Lansdowne Rd, if people here had their way we’d still be pissing up against the back wall on Hill 16.

Time to move on.

• Advertisement

Now steady on guys. It's a bit of a leap to put the national psyche in the dock. Just a daily hour of radio and some radio buffs hoping to at least maintain standards.
    Still unclear what the proposed alternative might be - even its basic format; music, chat, news, clebs? Some poorly conceived re-branding excercise is unlikely to succeed.

Those listening figures, if reliable, seem quite impressive.

Now back to John Kelly. Cheerio.

It’s like getting away from what has been going on for nearly 30 years.

It’s like Aer Lingus giving the planes and general company a new fresh look.

It’s like An Post changing their modus operandi and moving into parcels, home deliverys, more items and more services in their offices.

It’s like the big supermarkets doing home delivery,providing on line services and generally moving into the 21st century.

In other words, common sense.

Get a new presenter, new format,new voice, new way of doing things and presenting a programme.

I mean we can’t still be listening to the Charles Mitchel way of delivering the news in the year 2019.

Time for change, I don’t bother listening to RTE 1 radio between 1200-1300, too predictable, too same as it ever was, time to move the sticks.

Jaysus the Gaa did it with Croke Park, the rugby with Lansdowne Rd, if people here had their way we’d still be pissing up against the back wall on Hill 16.

Time to move on.

Gone a bit "Michael Fitzmaurice TD" I'm afraid there Bren.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Gone a bit "Michael Fitzmaurice TD" I'm afraid there Bren.

How is that Padd.

That’s a terrible insult.

How is that Padd.

That’s a terrible insult.

Bit light on solutions considering the length of diatribe I thought, and what you did offer was a bit on the vague side much in the style of the aforementioned independent parliamentarian.

Apologies if you felt the need to feel insulted, it certainly wasn't my intention.
    I'd have thought a worldly gentleman such as yourself would be well able for the rough and tumble of honest debate without resorting to giving the bottom lip an airing.

A little disappointed I have to say.

Bit light on solutions considering the length of diatribe I thought, and what you did offer was a bit on the vague side much in the style of the aforementioned independent parliamentarian.

Apologies if you felt the need to feel insulted, it certainly wasn't my intention.
    I'd have thought a worldly gentleman such as yourself would be well able for the rough and tumble of honest debate without resorting to giving the bottom lip an airing.

A little disappointed I have to say.

Don’t be so precious mate.

Don’t try to wire up what was an innocuous remark, talk about over reaction.!!

Plenty of solutions bub, change the forkhing pitter patter which is stale as a six day dog****e

Don’t be so precious mate.

Don’t try to wire up what was an innocuous remark, talk about over reaction.!!

Plenty of solutions bub, change the forkhing pitter patter which is stale as a six day dog****e

Nothing precious about me compadre.

Still not sure how changing the pitter patter[sic] will suddenly reinvent an hour long show based on listener requests with a play list of golden oldies.

I mean, how many ways are there of wishing someone a happy birthday/anniversary?

This thread was always likely to founder without some specifics to discuss so I'll offer a few suggestions as my parting post.

Some easy to introduce changes. Nothing to upset any applecarts:
    - move the live music segment from SOR to Ronan's hour. It always seemed an intrusion in SOR. In-studio and external recordings.
    - extend Ronan's musician's anniversary topic to include additional tracks and a potted history or profile of the band/musician. Maybe some archive music or interviews. Extoll the merits of the musician's/band's work or unique influence. And that includes showbands!

Still the same "voice" and the same music so I expect deemed inadequate changes.
    I think Ronan deserves a slot in the schedule and his abilities and professonalism deserves to be acknowledged.
    The music: I don't see that the schedule offers the target audience this musical selection elsewhere so the music stays - at least somewhere on the schedule.

I've thought of a half a dozen different programmes I'd like to listen to at lunchtime. Ideas shamelessly pinched from elswhere.
    But unlikely that any of them would get established: lack of popular appeal, lack of budget, sports fans would object, not locally produced material, overlapping with other progs.

Maybe Ronan's reading this. Maybe he's about to announce his retirement. That would be ironic.

Got to say I'm enjoying the Ireland's Favourite Folk song segment.

I usually wouldn't be a fan of Mary Black (too much of a luvvie), but she's been excellent on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Got to say I'm enjoying the Ireland's Favourite Folk song segment.

I usually wouldn't be a fan of Mary Black (too much of a luvvie), but she's been excellent on this.

Some sort of TV show as well. Not the worst idea, even if the list is inevitably a bit hackneyed. Thought maybe they were pushing Luke Kelly a bit much at the end today, hint hint etc. Nothing against Luke or the songs he's associated with but...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I didn't hear the show. What were today's 5 songs? I know they fished with Luke and Raglan Road yestrerday. Had they more Luke songs today?

I'd be a huge fan of the Pogues but I'd question the inclusion of Rainy Night in Soho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,483 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

sligojoek wrote: »
    I didn't hear the show. What were today's 5 songs? I know they fished with Luke and Raglan Road yestrerday. Had they more Luke songs today?

I'd be a huge fan of the Pogues but I'd question the inclusion of Rainy Night in Soho.

Aon Focal Eile A Rainy Night In Soho
    Only A Woman’s Heart
    The Parting Glass
    The Town I Loved So Well
    The Rocky Road To Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I thought I heard The Drunken Sailor today? Some speel about Padraig Pearse but kids here sing 'oh, oh and up she rises' etc.

Ruth Smith doing a great job sitting in for Ronan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Agreed. Breath of fresh air,not that I don't like Ronan, I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I missed the show on Friday.

In recent times Ronan has been covered by Carol Moran who I had found to play a lovely range of music. Carol had previously been on The Weekend On One for a year. I thought she was excellent.

I wonder if Carol has been dropped or moved on to other things.

Is the Nuacht being read from a portaloo? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

No. Portnoo is in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Ronan has a new Sunday show 'The Collins collection' starting this Sunday morning at 10am.

Is this the first time Ronan has appeared on an RTE Radio weekend schedule?

Ronan has a new Sunday show 'The Collins collection' starting this Sunday morning at 10am.

Is this the first time Ronan has appeared on an RTE Radio weekend schedule?

Rte1.?

I’m sure it will be totally different and ground-breaking.:cool:

Thanks for the warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Michael The Kid Cahill covered for Ronan this week.

Advertisement