Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to bring _ snow virgin

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

BTW, did my first lesson last night... great craic altogether.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Diemos wrote: »
    I would say goggles are a necessity. Thermals are optional, I am warm by default, so I never wear thermals, but my wife does. So you will know yourself if they will be applicable.

Do not skimp on gloves and pants.
    As a beginner you will spend a lot of time on your ass and getting up. Wet gloves and a wet a$$ will ruin your day.
    You don't have to spend big bucks to get good water proof gear but do your home work on your purchases.

Do you mind me asking what you wear under your waterproof pants if not thermals?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

I wouldn't spend a lot on gear for your first ski trip but just get enough to get started: Ski pants, gloves, small back pack with waist strap, STRONG sun cream, lip balm, sun glasses and other warm clothes.

But... sounds like you've geared up already. I choose clothes to take the heat/moisture out, not keep it in. You may find yourself losing layers through the day if you play hard.

I'm hoping your renting the board gear and recommend you get an overnight locker if you can. Handy to have a place to store street shoes while you shred the slopes and again to have a place to store your board gear overnight. A boot drier in the locker is a big +.

Don't forget energy bars for the back pack. It's great to top up on the lifts.

Enjoy and post how you got on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Do you mind me asking what you wear under your waterproof pants if not thermals?

Most ski pants will be lined for warmth. I used thermals the first year, and it was wayyy too much. Haven't bothered for over 10 years. Also, found them very uncomfortable with boots and socks.

Even when I had a pair of pants that weren't lined, I didn't wear thermals. No harm getting a pair of course, you don't have to wear them!

As to your question above, tho not directed at me, I wear what I wear under a pair of jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I think only once have I ever been cold enough to wear thermals on my legs, and even then only really needed them on an exposed lift and was too hot when actually skiing in them

If you think about it you lose very little heat through your legs. Hence why you wear shorts year round when exercising.

A thermal top however is very useful - a good one will wick the sweat off your body so will keep you warm without getting too hot, will have odour resistant qualities as well if you're wearing it a few days in a row. I wore one trekking in nepal once - really hot and exuberant during the day, then freezing as soon as sun went down. Wore it basically the whole time as we were sleeping in huts and after ten days it didn't even smell!

Actually I'm in the market for one or two more thermal tops, can anyone recommend? Tried Aldi merino cycling base layer recently but found it way too itchy. Not sure if that was aldi or merino as I've never worn the latter before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Just boxers, when I was learning I wore impact shorts. Was great to get rid of them though :D
    But my pants are all pretty heavy they are not shell pants.

For thermal tops I use long sleeve northface running tshirts. Changed daily.

a148pro wrote: »
    Actually I'm in the market for one or two more thermal tops, can anyone recommend? Tried Aldi merino cycling base layer recently but found it way too itchy. Not sure if that was aldi or merino as I've never worn the latter before.

My baselayers are all Merino. 2 Icebreakers and 1 Patagonia. I've never had a problem with itching. On the contrary, extremely comfortable. And they've been put through long warm spring ski days, and are pretty darn odour proof too, which is nice!

I tend to favour long sleeve, with a half zip, for venting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I have a few different brands of thermals but my favourite ones were actually the cheapest. They were the Campri ones on sportsdirect, 2 for €15. Have 3 pairs of under armour that I forked out a good bit more for that are going to waste, along with 2 other brands I can't remember off the top of my head. I found the Campri ones the most comfortable, and they're cheap enough to have a pair for everyday.

Also completely agree with leg thermals - waste of money. Even on the cold days they're unnecessary. A decent pair of ski pants are plenty warm.

Was looking at a ski jacket and pants in Outback Jacks today. The brand was Dare2b and the full cost was €200. I think they were 10,000mm and 20000mm waterproof. Are they a good brand for ski gear?

Do people normally buy pants that have the braces attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Was looking at a ski jacket and pants in Outback Jacks today. The brand was Dare2b and the full cost was €200. I think they were 10,000mm and 20000mm waterproof. Are they a good brand for ski gear?

Yeah, they seem good enough! I always think Decathlon are great for starting off. I always buy the pants with the braces attached - otherwise you get snow down your ninnies if you fall :D I find them more comfortable, I have no hips, so it's difficult for me to keep my pants up, without making the waist very tight.

Aldi have their *pro* ski gear in on the 20th. Good option for first timers!

• Advertisement

olaola wrote: »
    Yeah, they seem good enough! I always think Decathlon are great for starting off. I always buy the pants with the braces attached - otherwise you get snow down your ninnies if you fall :D I find them more comfortable, I have no hips, so it's difficult for me to keep my pants up, without making the waist very tight.

Aldi have their *pro* ski gear in on the 20th. Good option for first timers!

Thanks for the Aldi tip!

What about goggles? Any recommendations?

My first ski jacket was Dare2be and was absolutely fine. Those are some decent waterproof ratings too. You'll probably find that if/as you get more into it, you'll be changing/upgrading gear as you progress anyway.

Braces can be handy. I had them on a pair of salopettes and it kept them right in place. I could remove them if I wanted, or just let them hang down when I wasn't skiing.
    My current ski-pants don't have them, but I have velcro waist tighteners. You do see plenty of folk with braces.

Thanks for the Aldi tip!

What about goggles? Any recommendations?

Goggles are something I think you need to spend a few bob on, or it's a bit of a buy cheap buy twice scenario. TBH I've gone whole holidays without putting them on my face, but they're handy to have. You could wait until you get there, and if there's a snowy day on the horizon, pop into an Intersport or something and grab a pair. Otherwise, I'd recommend Decathlon again, you'll get your best value there.

olaola wrote: »
    Goggles are something I think you need to spend a few bob on, or it's a bit of a buy cheap buy twice scenario. TBH I've gone whole holidays without putting them on my face, but they're handy to have. You could wait until you get there, and if there's a snowy day on the horizon, pop into an Intersport or something and grab a pair. Otherwise, I'd recommend Decathlon again, you'll get your best value there.

Silly question probably but if you are not wearing goggles, I presume sunglasses are mandatory? I thought you'd be wearing goggles most of the time.

Silly question probably but if you are not wearing goggles, I presume sunglasses are mandatory? I thought you'd be wearing goggles most of the time.

Not at all! People generally wear sunglasses for a majority of the time (some wear goggles, but it's not usual) You usually only need goggles in certain situations - mainly snow falling or in other weather that might restrict your vision, flat light etc. Goggles (unless you've spent a FORTUNE!) tend to fog up, and they're not as comfortable as glasses. So you might only use them for short bursts of time. So if you're a first-timer and you're not sure if you're going to go back, I'd wait until you're there. It could be bluebird days for the week & your goggles might not get out of their box!
    I sometimes don't wear anything if it's snowing lightly - it all depends on the light tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

For a beginner sun glasses are fine unless its snowing. I wear my goggles all the time, i have 2 lenses for different lights and they never fog up. Any google with a double lens wont fog up (assuming you haven't gotten them very wet). I dd spent a good bit on them to get the 2 lenses but my first pair of oakleys were under 100 euro and were great. With just sun glasses I find too much light and wind leakage around the sides and my face would be freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Rew wrote: »
    For a beginner sun glasses are fine unless its snowing. I wear my goggles all the time, i have 2 lenses for different lights and they never fog up. Any google with a double lens wont fog up (assuming you haven't gotten them very wet). I dd spent a good bit on them to get the 2 lenses but my first pair of oakleys were under 100 euro and were great. With just sun glasses I find too much light and wind leakage around the sides and my face would be freezing.
    Agree with this. Sun glasses are fine starting off but goggles offer a lot more protection from the elements. Wouldn't be much fun hurtling down a run at 75km/h when it's -10c with just sun glasses on your eyes.

My mate creamed himself wearing sunglasses and cut his face

He was lying there on the piste hungover and a brit skier went by and, without checking if he was OK, turned and said to his kid "See, that's why we don't wear sunglasses Nigel" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

+1 to a decent set of snow goggles. There wasn't any set of conditions where the naked eye gave better vision than in the goggles. Spent just over a 100 on mine but they were on half price at the time.

OP if buying goggles go for a pair that is good in low light. Ask the shop this. Goggles are most use when its snowing, that's when you really want them over sunglasses. And if its snowing there's what skiers call flat light, where you can only really see white and can't really see the slope, bumps. A good set of low light goggles can make a bit of a difference in these conditions. Mine are orange, I'm not sure if that's always the best for that but when I bought them they had a little test thing in the shop that you looked at with or without them on and you could see features with them on.

The other thing is not to rub the inside as you'll probably remove the anti fog. Ask the shop how to clean them. I wrote off a pair of goggles this way much to my annoyance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I managed to get a pair of Oakley Flight Decks for just over €60 on Amazon a couple of months ago. Price has gone back to about €130... Great goggles, wide field of view and allow you to see conours in the whiteness of snow (especially in poor visibility)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oakley-Flight-Deck-Snow-Goggles/dp/B017NHONAK/ref=cts_sp_4_vtp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ive found Oakley's Prizm Rose to be the best all round lens Ive ever used

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

I used to wear sunglasses but now always wear goggles while skiing. I've improved over the last 5-6 years so I now ski a lot faster. The sunglasses give me watery eyes and very little wind protection. Even a €40-50 pair of goggles will be a great benefit.
    I always wear a helmet now too and I clip the goggles onto my helmet for the day. Works a treat.

Advertisement