Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare vegans

• 07-09-2018 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Everyone, we have a vegan meet-up group here in Clare. If you're here or in surrounding counties or visit Clare, join the group (no commitment!) and let us know or message me.

I try to be available at least once a week, usually in Peckish vegan café in Ennis. We also get to do other stuff occasionally - Galway (FaceBook) vegans have a potluck every month, which we try to attend.

Over the last xxxxx years we've had irregular get-togethers at peoples' houses or trips to restaurants and we've had talks and walks, potholing and picnics.

Hope you don't mind me publicising this group, mods.

Does this link work? https://www.meetup.com/Clare-Vegans/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

Thanks for the info. I have heard very positive things about Peckish, I must visit the next time I'm passing through Ennis.

I know there are quite a few health food stores in the town, which one would you recommend or do you get bits and pieces from a few of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Thanks for the info. I have heard very positive things about Peckish, I must visit the next time I'm passing through Ennis.

We've a meet-up this Saturday with some visitors from Switzerland, should be fun.
    I know there are quite a few health food stores in the town, which one would you recommend or do you get bits and pieces from a few of them?

We get stuff mainly from Meanwell, which is Peckish's sister store(s) but there's another good one on The Turnpike, Health Connection, which has a slightly different packaged range to Meanwell but no fresh food or loose.

There's also one in Dunnes' shopping centre which ain't bad.

I can think of at least four more 'health food' shops in Ennis but they're basically supplement shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

What’s the name of the cafe beside the zero waste shop in Ennis? Very nice spot, they let us bring the dog in as long as we sat near the door.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    What’s the name of the cafe beside the zero waste shop in Ennis? Very nice spot, they let us bring the dog in as long as we sat near the door.

'Zero waste shop'? That's a new one for me. Any other landmarks or anything?

Meanwell and Peckish both let you bring the dog in.

'Zero waste shop'? That's a new one for me. Any other landmarks or anything?

Meanwell and Peckish both let you bring the dog in.

There’s a cafe & another shop connected to it. One where I think you bring your own containers to fill up rather than a plastic bag??

It’s Meanwell. Just seen the pictures.

Love that you can bring your dog in. Like being in London.

• Advertisement

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    There’s a cafe & another shop connected to it. One where I think you bring your own containers to fill up rather than a plastic bag??

It’s Meanwell. Just seen the pictures.

Love that you can bring your dog in. Like being in London.

Ah, yes, I see what you mean by 'zero waste'. See attached - a small part of their loose dry goods. They've masses of loose veggies and dried fruit too. You can even bring your own empty Engervita drum and refill it!

The owners are dog lovers.

Hi everyone.

Despite seeming (from a customer point of view) to be very busy, Peckish café has been unable to make a profit.

It closes 29th March 2019.

Hi everyone.

Despite seeming (from a customer point of view) to be very busy, Peckish café has been unable to make a profit.

It closes 29th March 2019.

That really is a shame. Although I did mention it to a girl in work that lives in gort & travels to Ennis a lot. She’d never even heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

There is a cafe above Carraig Donn that is run by folks who used to work in Peckish apparently. It's not a vegan place but they have a good amount of vegan items on the menu and two vegan friends go there quite a bit. Might be an option if Peckish is closed.

ShRT wrote: »
    There is a cafe above Carraig Donn that is run by folks who used to work in Peckish apparently. It's not a vegan place but they have a good amount of vegan items on the menu and two vegan friends go there quite a bit. Might be an option if Peckish is closed.

There’s “Sweet and Green” too, in the friary car park in Ennis. They’ve had several vegan options since they opened but they rely a lot on tofu; fair play to them for trying but more imagination required!

• Advertisement

There’s “Sweet and Green” too, in the friary car park in Ennis. They’ve had several vegan options since they opened but they rely a lot on tofu; fair play to them for trying but more imagination required!

If you’re ever in Galway, try ‘cafe temple’ in town. Loads of vegan stuff on the menu.....always busy.

If peckish had of opened it Galway there’s no way it would of closed.

They talked about Galway but never found suitable premises and anyway were too busy to really follow it through. Maybe now they’ll be taking a breather from that side.

If you know Meanwell/Pecksh, you’d understand my suggestion to them: that they put the packaged shop in the café premises, making one big retail unit. I always thought the size of the café was ambitious.

Advertisement