Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irexit Freedom Party

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Maybe not in the short-term, but as a longer-term strategy it could be viable.

e.g. Move to a Greek Island, do any menial low-paid work just to get by, once you qualify for welfare benefits (certain timeframe), develop a 'bad back' and relax on the beach.

Obvs not Greece as they don't offer 200notes per week inc the Chrissy bonus..
    That's a bit unrealistic though isn't it? You're required to show you have sufficient resources not to be a drain on the State - I doubt some Eastern Europeans are sitting there eyeing up a minimum wage job at €382/week with the plan to do that for a few years and then finally retire on that sweet sweet €198/week dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

That's a bit unrealistic though isn't it? You're required to show you have sufficient resources not to be a drain on the State - I doubt some Eastern Europeans are sitting there eyeing up a minimum wage job at €382/week with the plan to do that for a few years and then finally retire on that sweet sweet €198/week dole.

It's not only realistic in some cases, but perfectly viable. Not certain, but think the residency qualifcation term may only be 2yrs, part-time work might even suffice (20hrs+ p/wk).

Some of the more poverished states in Europe might even be keen to export any earnings back to their relatives, where they have multiplied buying power. Childwelfare payments would also be better in many cases than would otherwise be. Six kids and you can't be expected to work full-time.

The UK already suffers from health tourism, and workers who export earnings out of the economy. Romania has recently overtaken decades upon decades of Irish migrants in the UK, all within a very short time span.

The Exodus means Romania will loose about 15% of its population by 2050. Which actually won't help their own country improve.

The next countries likely to join the EU in Western Balkans all have average GDP PP about half that of Germany.

Sure the vast majority of migrants will find work, but in the next decade only 'highly-skilled migrants' (not bulk migration for the sake of it), will fulfill any real need in developed nations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The UK already suffers from health tourism, and workers who export earnings out of the economy.

The last figures I saw for fraudulent NHS claims came it at well below 1% of its budget. Hardly suffering.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

EU Citizens cannot move to another Member State to avail of social welfare benefits - let's nip that nonsense in the bud right away.

And if I had claimed that you might have a point to make, but as I have not you do not. I made a specific claim pertaining to the migration of EU citizens who in the course of their residence might elect to avail of such social insurance measures as they are entitled to. This is a world away from the caricature of an argument you have ascribed to me about people 'moving for welfare'.

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Mass Immigration of any kind is bad for Ireland.

In what sense? I mean we are straight into the question of definitions here, namely about what is 'mass' migration and what is 'bad' for Ireland. I would humbly submit that given the historical decline in the island's population from about 1/3rd of the total of the British Isles to less than 1/10th, we still have plenty of scope to increase our population and benefit from the economies of scale which arise from a larger population. I would further submit that when the bulk of that migration is from nations reasonably close to our own in terms of language, religious traditions and cultures, that this mass migration is less onerous than a similar movement from a more distant set of nations.

Now, one might be inclined to make the judgement that at a certain point the strain on resources (be the land, capital or social fabric) might warrant a reduction or cessation in inward migration. That may well be the case, but it does not strike me that Ireland has done badly out of the migration boom since 2004 (with some exceptions), rather we have done quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The last figures I saw for fraudulent NHS claims came it at well below 1% of its budget. Hardly suffering.

There's nothing fraudulant about Europeans receiving free emergency healthcare across Europe, that's what the EHIC type cards are for.

Their fraudulent claims most likely come via folks outside of Europe. Even if that was around 1%, that's still £1.247 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

In what sense? I mean we are straight into the question of definitions here, namely about what is 'mass' migration and what is 'bad' for Ireland. I would humbly submit that given the historical decline in the island's population from about 1/3rd of the total of the British Isles to less than 1/10th, we still have plenty of scope to increase our population and benefit from the economies of scale which arise from a larger population. I would further submit that when the bulk of that migration is from nations reasonably close to our own in terms of language, religious traditions and cultures, that this mass migration is less onerous than a similar movement from a more distant set of nations.

Now, one might be inclined to make the judgement that at a certain point the strain on resources (be the land, capital or social fabric) might warrant a reduction or cessation in inward migration. That may well be the case, but it does not strike me that Ireland has done badly out of the migration boom since 2004 (with some exceptions), rather we have done quite well.

The last time we had Mass Immigration into Ireland was the plantation of Ulster and we are still dealing with the consequences of it today.

Anyone who says that Mass Immigration is good for Ireland or any other country is ignorant in the extreme.

You only have to look at the UK or mainland Europe to see the "benefits" of Mass Immigration in terms of terrorism and crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

You should check your history Ireland was actually booming in the 1960s before we even joined the EU.

But if Ireland had joined the EU in 1960s the Europhiles would have claimed the growth of the economy was because of the EU.

I also look forward to the Irexit party getting air-time because they will blow many of the pro EU arguments out of the water.

Like the claim the EU "gave us money" when in reality they took far more money from us in terms of our fishing industry then they ever gave us.

But Irish politicians we never talk about this because they want to get on the EU gravy train just like Pádraig Flynn and others.

The only reason the Irish love the EU so much is because of the pro EU Propaganda that is pumped through the Irish media and the "education" system. When I was in school we use to have a class called "civics" which was nothing but EU Propaganda.

Every single fact you have given is a widely debunked lie. Debunked many times on boards even.

The Irish Punt was directly linked to Sterling before 1978. Only under the European Exchange Rate mechanism did we get fiscal independence (not that that is meaningful for a small currency like the Punt).

The fact of the matter is that you are a fake republican/nationalist who wants to put Ireland under the yoke of the English again. You have no interest in facts but parrot English Nationalist propaganda & lies with zero evidence for any of your opinions.

We need to view Irexitors as useful idiots and a fifth column for the English elite who want a poor Ireland under their thumb as they build empire 2.0 in their minds. Luckily it will not happen with an incredible 90% of Irish voters seeing through these lies. Mainly because we remember the same propaganda being used about us as close as the eighties.

The last time we had Mass Immigration into Ireland was the plantation of Ulster and we are still dealing with the consequences of it today.

Anyone who says that Mass Immigration is good for Ireland or any other country is ignorant in the extreme.

You only have to look at the UK or mainland Europe to see the "benefits" of Mass Immigration in terms of terrorism and crime.

With respect, I've made clear the specific distinctions I would see between the kind of mass migration which we have seen in the UK and Europe, versus what we have seen here in Ireland. In Europe, they have seen a scale of mass migration from former Imperial colonies, largely with little in common in terms of religion or culture. Our migration has been largely from fellow European states, with fairly similar democratic and liberal traditions (I mean that in the international sense) who are not just from a similar religious tradition, but are in-fact largely Catholic and English speaking. I fail to see how in a generation or two they will be distinguishable from the rest of the population in anything but surnames, perhaps you can make the case for that.

Now if you want to make the case that non-EU migration brings problems and is a greater challenge, that's fine, chances are I would probably agree with you on limiting that kind of movement. But I am not simply going to go down the hole of 'all mass migration is bad' simply because it's an easy argument to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Herman Kelly on The Tonight Show this evening. I don't think we need to worry about him swaying anyone with a brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,795 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hurrache wrote: »
    Herman Kelly on The Tonight Show this evening. I don't think we need to worry about him swaying anyone with a brain.

Very enjoyable the way both presenters and the rest of the panellists just dismissed him for the fool he is.

Hermann: "How is it Iceland have way more trade deals than the EU??"

Yates "Cos they only sell fish....." moves on to Terry Prone..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He was given short shrift because of his rudeness anyway. When he shouted over other guests, I noticed it was only women guests he'd try to shout down, he was told to be quite and they'd come back to him. They often didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Hermann: "How is it Iceland have way more trade deals than the EU??"
    Honestly, I was thinking about this (first mistake) but what does this even mean? What point is he trying to make here exactly!?

Honestly, I was thinking about this (first mistake) but what does this even mean? What point is he trying to make here exactly!?

His aim of course is obfuscation, by making it sound like a deficiency. However, its only logical Iceland has way more trade deals than the EU, it has to negotiate with each nation or block separately, the EU is a block of 28 and deals with other big nations and blocks as a priority to maximise benefits for its Member states.

Value of Icelandic exports - 4.45 billion dollars

Value of EU exports - 2.1 Trillion..

Dont think the EU is suffering from inflexibility.

They should have Hermann on weekly for a good bashing, especially as Brexit turns more and more to shyte, hes great entertainment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They should have Hermann on weekly for a good bashing, especially as Brexit turns more and more to shyte, hes great entertainment.

Dangerous - "lets bring on the fruitcake to laugh at him" is what got nutters to vote for Farage, "lets bring on the antique to laugh at him" is what got people to like Mogg, "lets bring on the buffoon to laugh at him" is what keeps Boris going.

L1011 wrote: »
    Dangerous - "lets bring on the fruitcake to laugh at him" is what got nutters to vote for Farage, "lets bring on the antique to laugh at him" is what got people to like Mogg, "lets bring on the buffoon to laugh at him" is what keeps Boris going.

Fair enough, but there isn't a simmering hard right or relic of ascendancy in Ireland as there was in the UK to bring them to this point. We dont have their despicable print media either. We'd be safe enough to lampoon Hermann, its what nasty pieces like him and Irexit Freedom warrant.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Ah...

This is kate Bopp's (AKA Kate lawlor) new venture i see...

dsc02297.jpg?w=1000

kbopp.jpg

irish-lgbt-community-claps-back-at-anti-choice-and-anti-gay-twitter-user-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,096 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

they havn't applied to be a political party yet have they? not on register

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
    Signifying nothing.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

they havn't applied to be a political party yet have they? not on register

It doesnt look like they have no

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

still not a party #stillnotregsitered https://www.irisoifigiuil.ie/currentissues/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

still not a party #stillnotregsitered https://www.irisoifigiuil.ie/currentissues/

I thought they were going to register last week? They'll have candidates running for Europe, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

dulpit wrote: »
    I thought they were going to register last week? They'll have candidates running for Europe, no?

Presumably running them as Independents (under an Irexit banner) and hope than no-one asks where the funding is coming from. :rolleyes:

Proposal to register Irish Freedom Party as a political party https://www.irisoifigiuil.ie/currentissues/Ir210519.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose"

Seems appropriate

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

There's going to be a shake up when the results come out on Sunday across Europe.

The EU is anti democracy. This is becoming more and more evident. Ireland needs to align with post brexit UK and the USA before Europe collapses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

There's going to be a shake up when the results come out on Sunday across Europe.

The EU is anti democracy. This is becoming more and more evident. Ireland needs to align with post brexit UK and the USA before Europe collapses.

The EU is anti democracy. You'll see, after all of the voting that happens this weekend. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The EU is anti democracy. This is becoming more and more evident.
    In what way exactly is it anti-democratic?
    Given that it is becoming more and more evident, I'm looking forwards to you posting your evidence.
    Ireland needs to align with post brexit UK and the USA before Europe collapses.
    Why will Europe collapse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

In what way exactly is it anti-democratic?
    Given that it is becoming more and more evident, I'm looking forwards to you posting your evidence.

Why will Europe collapse?

Ireland is woefully underrepresented in the EU. The european parliament is supposed to be the democratic check on the EC but they currently pass EC law without scrutiny.

EU law is above national law, the EC churns out this law from the obscurity of Brussels

Advertisement