Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying snow gear for 3 year old

• 28-08-2018 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭

hi all - we're heading to Italy in early March, conveniently visting family who live in a ski resort :D

my son will have just turned 3 and I want to get him a snow suit / pants & jacket, boots, gloves etc. any thoughts on where is best to buy this kind of gear for kids? I've been looking at Amazon and anything half decent seems pricey.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

We went a good few years ago (youngest is now 10)
    Everytime we went we had them in layers of underpants, underarmour type tops and leggings, as well as ski jackets and pants. Everything was bought in lidl and aldi.

It worked out well, as long as we had backups for any accidents that happened.
    The mittens are way better for keeping their hands warm as well as a good hat and neck scarf/warmer.

We found there was no need to buy the best gear for a growing toddler, and they never had any issues except with the cheap goggles (kept fogging up)

Just our experience
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Triangle wrote: »
    We went a good few years ago (youngest is now 10)
    Everytime we went we had them in layers of underpants, underarmour type tops and leggings, as well as ski jackets and pants. Everything was bought in lidl and aldi.

It worked out well, as long as we had backups for any accidents that happened.
    The mittens are way better for keeping their hands warm as well as a good hat and neck scarf/warmer.

We found there was no need to buy the best gear for a growing toddler, and they never had any issues except with the cheap goggles (kept fogging up)

Just our experience
    Brian

thanks for that - I've no interest in buying the best gear for him to get just 1 week out of. I hadn't realised that Lidl or Aldi did gear for kids that small so will keep an eye out for their next offers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Lidl and Aldi gear gets snapped up very quickly. Be there when the shop opens and know exactly what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

I bought jackets and salopettes for our pair last month from dare2b. Jackets are around £20. Not much left now: https://www.dare2b.com/kids/jackets-coats/shop-by/product_types/ski_jackets/

We did the same last year. The jackets double-up as their winter coats for here. Base layers get used for football etc. So we find only the salopettes get minimal use. Tho this year they came in handy with the snow here.

For Goggles I bought a few pairs from amazon warehouse last year. Got them for them about £8 (bolle)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

I would say to bring two pairs of mittens or gloves and salopettes as they can get wet playing in snow and might need to be switched halfway through the day.

Cheap gear is fine, they wouldn't be on cold chairlift at top hill at this stage.

My little one has skied from 3yr, now nearly 7 years old.

This first year she complained about ski boots be uncomfortable, wanted to put on her normal shoe boots all the time.

The next year she got used to them. Then complaint was my skis don't work.

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

We have been skiing twice with the kids (they are all under 5), bought good stuff in TK Maxx to last them a few years and be hand me downs. We have base layers and turtle necks for underneath. You have to dress them for the weather on the day as they can overheat very easily. We didn't find we needed multiple jackets and trousers. One good pair of mittens is worth 10 pairs of bad ones. Waterproof insulated boots and warm socks are important. Ive seen some kids winter boots in Decathlon that looked good and were cheap. For potty trained kids 2 piece (jacket and trousers) for those in nappies a 1 piece is warmer. Don't forget sunglasses for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Decathlon is great for cheap stuff - check both UK & IE sites for full range.

Advertisement