Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Mooooo wrote: »
    Was it the same when the herd was larger in the years pre quota? Testing water here very year with bord bia has come back fine. Not saying there are or are not links but prefer whole pictures to be looked at before blaming any particular area, which seems to be lacking in a lot of areas these days.

Probably rivers and lakes more than wells, apparently one of the ingredients of dockspray is turning up in waterways too,
    Anyway something's happening, around 750 cases ecoli this year compared with around 150 last year. we'll be blamed anyway, I wonder is there many inefficient town sewerage works around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

wrangler wrote: »
    Probably rivers and lakes more than wells, apparently one of the ingredients of dockspray is turning up in waterways too,
    Anyway something's happening, around 750 cases ecoli this year compared with around 150 last year. we'll be blamed anyway, I wonder is there many inefficient town sewerage works around now.

River was regularly checked here upstream of the villages on it, amazingly not done downstream of the villages......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭visatorro

Mooooo wrote:
    River was regularly checked here upstream of the villages on it, amazingly not done downstream of the villages......

They have to cover there own arse. Testing the river is one thing, knowing where to test for the right results is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They're doing a lot more testing of waterways than that in this county, council do what they call ''drive by'' inspections of farms as well and the ones flagged are visited during the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭alps

Lots of waving fingers looking for somewhere to point. All of the latest research in the river basements study point to bad weather events raising pollution levels in the rivers. Hence the up coming changes to Nitrates where there will be much greater protection of run off water.

We had none of these rainfall events this summer, as most will have noticed, and to blame dairy farmers for what the quality of water that vegetable farmers use is obscene..

The point of responsibility has to lie with those preparing the food..and it's preservation, which of course may have been quiet difficult on such a hot summer..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's a tributary of the Slaney just entering at enniscorthy.
    Same craic, water tested above a farm and below. But not below an unlined council dump that was in use in the 50's/60's. Everything was dumped in this, asbestos, cars, oil, everything.
    No fines to be gained there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There's a tributary of the Slaney just entering at enniscorthy.
    Same craic, water tested above a farm and below. But not below an unlined council dump that was in use in the 50's/60's. Everything was dumped in this, asbestos, cars, oil, everything.
    No fines to be gained there.

Same in the local waste treatment plant in the local village. Doubled in size during the boom and no increase in treatment. Council sample below the discharge point and it's farm pollution.

Coz urban pollution doesn't warrant headlines...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Same in the local waste treatment plant in the local village. Doubled in size during the boom and no increase in treatment. Council sample below the discharge point and it's farm pollution.

We'll you can hardly expect The Council to catch The Council!

There were more sick at the Fleadh than all the e-coli cases, and not a word about it.
    Instead one headline read "Fleadh: Pubs barely able to keep up supply of beer after marathon Fleadh sessions".

You can't fine yourself though. :pac:

Don't mention houses in the towns plumbing their sewage into the stormwater drains either. Or water from car washing sites full of phosphorus detergent in the storm drains. Oh it's all perfect in the concrete jungle.

Anyone any experience of seaweed foliar spray on grass?
    Even better if anyone has experience with mycorrhizal liquid spray.
    Be the tops if you've used them together.

I'm going trying it out tomorrow.
    (Well just the seaweed spray on silage ground).

It's as on topic as some of the posts here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Daughter likes this pic that she took a few weeks back...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Daughter likes this pic that she took a few weeks back...

Jaysus that horse does a fair bit of damage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭alps

Drought thread closed, but I don't think it's over. Looks like the south and east will miss out on the rain Saturday night. The whole area could badly do with it, growth still extremely sluggish in pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

alps wrote: »
    Drought thread closed, but I don't think it's over. Looks like the south and east will miss out on the rain Saturday night. The whole area could badly do with it, growth still extremely sluggish in pockets.

Water table has dropped again this week....

gozunda wrote: »
    Water table has dropped again this week....

Also anyone any experience of the seaweed granular fertilizer sold by Shamrock that comes from Iceland?

It claims to toughen the grass sod with grass roots growing longer and improved drought resistance.
    200kgs spread in year one will last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Anyone any experience of seaweed foliar spray on grass?
    Even better if anyone has experience with mycorrhizal liquid spray.
    Be the tops if you've used them together.

I'm going trying it out tomorrow.
    (Well just the seaweed spray on silage ground).

It's as on topic as some of the posts here. :)

Local contractor was talking about seaweed spray a few weeks ago. Back 20+ yrs ago they used to spray all their beet with it. Because of the bad spring they used it again this year on the beet and the spring corn. He's after getting great results from it. Very tempted to try it on some paddocks.
    It's costing something like 10€/ acre for the spray?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

alps wrote: »

I think the thread should be reopened. I reported a post in it yesterday. Thought it was below the belt seeing as the poster bring referred to in it had already closed his account. The fodder crisis thread is still open. I understand lads are under pressure and it's good to be able to offload things online that you wouldn't be able to do otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Also anyone any experience of the seaweed granular fertilizer sold by Shamrock that comes from Iceland?

It claims to toughen the grass sod with grass roots growing longer and improved drought resistance.

We spread phisolith here. Supposed to do what you're saying and increases worm activity aswell. Our soil is a lot better since we started using it 5/6 yrs ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

We spread phisolith here. Supposed to do what you're saying and increases worm activity aswell. Our soil is a lot better since we started using it 5/6 yrs ago

Id argue it's the copious amounts of poo in solid rather than liquid form giving the worms a bit of grub when there's not much grass residues to munch on you apply. Like anything if there's not grub there to feed on anything applied is a waste imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Always great when the milk cheque is a few quid more than I was expecting. Every little helps.... unfortunately feed and fert reps will do a lot of harm this month too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No havn't used it tbh. My one concern would be high salt levels. Couldn't find any Info on field trials under Irish conditions.

gozunda wrote: »
    No havn't used it tbh. My one concern would be high salt levels. Couldn't find any Info on field trials under Irish conditions.

The big draw on the like of this stuff is the increase in protein % in grass/silage.

You only have to look at the results of farmers near the coast getting the sky high results to see there must be something in it.
    It something like the increase in biological life from sea based products that makes more natural magnetite that makes more nitrogen.

In the U.S. they'd be big user's of fish emulsions humates.

Local contractor was talking about seaweed spray a few weeks ago. Back 20+ yrs ago they used to spray all their beet with it. Because of the bad spring they used it again this year on the beet and the spring corn. He's after getting great results from it. Very tempted to try it on some paddocks.

I was robbed so! :)
    It's costing me 15/acre.

I was looking for some Croplift and that was out of stock. There was a phosphorus alternative but thought better of it so went looking for the seaweed spray as it should help below ground. The Croplift and the other would have been 5/acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Anyone on here use a hover-board in the parlour? :D

https://youtu.be/I5x1wzgqrUs

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Might be useful this evening busted my shin earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Is this what Ed Sheeran is doing now 😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Anybody get prices on cubicles and mats lately? Need a shot of them soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

The new guy seems pretty clued in, he might get some rein now swing jk etc might be losing interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Used seaweed extract on sbeet for many years. Also used a large amount of micro elements on beet and cereals. Don’t use any now because with all the fym being recycled through the land, I don’t need them...I’d only use sulfur now after a wet winter/spring.
    Having to constantly use micro elements is a consequence of depending too much on artificial fert. and slurry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement