Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fast and Furious spinoff film (Hobbs & Shaw)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

... and? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Zardoz wrote: »
    It looks like the laws of physics and reality dont apply to this film.

It also looks like a hell of a lot of fun. I want physics and reality i'll watch a documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Heckler wrote: »
    It also looks like a hell of a lot of fun. I want physics and reality i'll watch a documentary.

Its not really fun though when its so ludicrously over the top .
    The best action films need to have some bit of suspense ,this looks like a cartoon ,Hobbs is pulling off manoeuvres Superman would be proud of.

Its not really fun though when its so ludicrously over the top .
    The best action films need to have some bit of suspense ,this looks like a cartoon ,Hobbs is pulling off manoeuvres Superman would be proud of.

Ah stop. Even the best action films usually have a high degree of OTT ludicrous stuff going on. Maybe not to the same degree as this trailer but its there. John McClane and the firehose anyone ? Pretty much all of Speed ? Fantastic action movies but hardly grounded in reality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Speed isn't grounded in reality, but most of its action still consisted of stuntmen throwing themselves between moving vehicles, or prop cars crashing into each other along the road. There were miniature, model buses, invisible wires, empty highways and so on, but ultimately all the action had to obey the basic laws of physics, gravity and all the rest. Pneumatic launchers might make those jumps look more epic but it was still 'real' insofar as it happened and requires precision coordination. People could get hurt (not that that should be required mind you), there was an element of real danger.

As a random example, I remember watching The Mummy 3 (yeah, I know), and a stunt involved a woman jumping out of a crashing car. It was all "real", but the stunt went wrong and you could see the woman had landed on her knees as she leapt. OUCH. They kept it in the final draft but the scene was lifted by reaction to something real happening, albeit as an artifice. George Miller bought old jalopies and crashed them into each other for the original Mad Max (I think he sacrificed a caravan he owned and let a car plough through it). Same happened with Mission Impossible: Fallout, where they kept a scene in which Tom Cruise broke his ankle jumping a gap.

CGI has none of those crunchy elements; no heft, no danger or gravivty to give these scenes any immediacy or sense of visceral threat. It's the same with the MCU and other Hollywood films and why I've become so desensitised to the action. It's all fake, in the laziest sense. The Raid, Fury Road, Mission Impossible films are celebrated because they are "real", those stunts in the above trailer look "fake". It's all fiction, but how they make the action happen counts imo.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Speed isn't grounded in reality, but most of its action still consisted of stuntmen throwing themselves between moving vehicles, or prop cars crashing into each other along the road. There were miniature, model buses, invisible wires, empty highways and so on, but ultimately all the action had to obey the basic laws of physics, gravity and all the rest. Pneumatic launchers might make those jumps look more epic but it was still 'real' insofar as it happened and requires precision coordination. People could get hurt (not that that should be required mind you), there was an element of real danger.

As a random example, I remember watching The Mummy 3 (yeah, I know), and a stunt involved a woman jumping out of a crashing car. It was all "real", but the stunt went wrong and you could see the woman had landed on her knees as she leapt. They kept it in the final draft but the scene was lifted by reaction to something real happening, albeit as an artifice. George Miller bought old jalopies and crashed them into each other for the original Mad Max (I think he sacrificed a caravan he owned and let a car plough through it).

CGI has none of those crunchy elements; no heft, no danger or gravivty to give these scenes any immediacy or sense of visceral threat. It's the same with the MCU and other Hollywood films and why I've become so desensitised to the action. It's all fake, in the laziest sense. The Raid, Fury Road, Mission Impossible films are celebrated because they are "real", those stunts in the above trailer look "fake". It's all fiction, but how they make the action happen counts imo.
    Agree 100%. practical stunts can't be outdone. But well done CGI can be fine too. The Matrix for example. I know there was a lot of practical stunts and effects but there was also a lot of CGI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Agree 100%. practical stunts can't be outdone. But well done CGI can be fine too. The Matrix for example. I know there was a lot of practical stunts and effects but there was also a lot of CGI.

The Matrix started with practical, and used CGI to embellish (I'm ignoring the sequels which went CGI crazy but then that's kinda the point). Jurassic Park famously heralded CGI in blockbusters, yet it had only had a few minutes total, most of the dinosaurs done with puppets and real props.

At the end of the day it's just another tool in the box, but when an entire set piece becomes DRIVEN by CGI, the crunch is totally lost, physics becomes abandoned for something that superficially looks cool. The action in that Hobbes and Shaw trailer - and latter F&F films - is empty calories, so to speak. It doesn't hold a candle to the equivalent chase scenes of Fallout.

I suspect it's a cost thing, contractors in render farms are easier to hire & fire than a huge crew needed to film a car chase down a blocked off highway. Speed could never happen in 2019. It's a minor miracle Fury Road got made ( which itself used CGI,but only for stitching, not the meat of the action).

Ah yeah I agree with you mostly but ya know sometimes I want to see a guy drop his motorcycle under an artic and skid with it and then right himself and the bike and carry on. Escapism and c'mon it looks ****ing badass.

It might be bada$$, if it was a real stuntman (but then who knows, maybe they over airbrushed the scene)

Anyway, any eejit can skid a motorbike under a truck. I present a more impressive stunt, done with real props too! ;)

pixelburp wrote: »
    It might be bada$$, if it was a real stuntman (but then who knows, maybe they over airbrushed the scene)

Anyway, any eejit can skid a motorbike under a truck. I present a more impressive stunt, done with real props too! ;)

Hahaha that was hilarious ! I hope no stuffed horses or bad actors were injured in this scene.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It looks like the laws of physics and reality dont apply to this film.

Well if you've seen the other ones you kinda know what you're getting. They jumped the shark long ago on reality and the public keeping coming back.

furious7gif.gif
    The Matrix wasn't real and bound by physics so it could never have been fully made with practical effects!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Saw this last night and usually I'm on board with the silliness of Fast & Furious, but I really didn't like it. Maybe I didn't turn the brain off in time.

Thought it was 2+ hours of ego massaging for The Rock and Statham (moreso than usual) and inane bro banter/one upmanship. Wasn't surprised to see them pop up in the credits as producers.

🤪

It was an enjoyable enough turn-off-your-brain summer popcorn movie that will never win any awards. I think the funniest bits were in the trailers too (which is never a good thing).

The last half hour was a good payoff though. The helicopter fishing sequence was even more bonkers than it looked in the trailers. Laws of physics my arse. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Mr E wrote: »
    It was an enjoyable enough turn-off-your-brain summer popcorn movie that will never win any awards. I think the funniest bits were in the trailers too (which is never a good thing).

The last half hour was a good payoff though. The helicopter fishing sequence was even more bonkers than it looked in the trailers. Laws of physics my arse. :o

Yeah, that's where I went wrong despite knowing it needed to be done :)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭brevity

Was the teaser trailer for Nolan’s new movies played before this?

We arrived during the trailers so might have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm just back from it, and I thought it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Saw it last night with the two sprogs (13 & 20), we all enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

good laugh, liked the banter, the Hatty Shaw character was pretty cool, some good side characters, basically a comedy Mission Impossible. the only "fk physics" moment i didnt like was Hobbs sliding one handed down a cable on the side of a building no problem ...rope burn?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw it last night. Great fun, enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I mean the plot is ridiculous, venessa kirby is a bit cringe in that you just cant take her seriously as an MI6 agent. And its about 20 minutes longer than it needed to be. But for some reason it all works. I like the rock but I think statham is a better actor than he's given credit for. Looking forward to the next one already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Acosta

I'll watch it when it comes out on streaming or whatever. Heard both of them are not in the next Furious 9 (or whatever it's called). Both were the best characters in the last couple, so that's no good really.

Re-watched some of them recently. Still don't get how the first one was such a big deal as it looks like a TV movie. In fact they're all pretty bad up until 5, which is a brilliant action movie. 6, 7 and 8 all top notch action flicks too. Basically it got a lot better when The Rock came on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

well that was an emotional roller coaster, can't wait for the next installment in the franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Bonkers, OTT and good fun. Statham and The Rock deliver as usual. Thought Idris Elba was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭Homelander

So weird when you think back to the first film, a semi-realistic movie about illegal street racing and police infiltration of a gang. Now we're here. Not really complaining, really enjoy the movies lately, don't think I even saw the 2nd or 3rd movies even.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What was the name on the fake passport given to the rock? Very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭alanc2003

beertons wrote: »
    What was the name on the fake passport given to the rock? Very funny.

Mike Oxmaul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Saw this tonight. So much better than I was expecting. Excellent popcorn movie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seen it in the IMAX. Enjoyable enough popcorn flick I guess.

At the screening we were at there was an Asian woman of maybe 60 or so on her on in the row in front of us and I don't think I can ever recall seeing anyone enjoy a movie as much. She screamed and cheered and howled with laughter throughout. She fcuking loved it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I saw this over the weekend. I haven't seen any of the Fast & Furious movies but I figured that wouldn't matter and I was right. It was ok but very forgettable. It was too long, I'm probably too old for grown men making dick jokes for 2 hours. I probably would have enjoyed it more when I was 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Autecher wrote: »
    ......I probably would have enjoyed it more when I was 15....

Yeah I can relate to that.
    Saw it last night with my girlfriend and it's ok. Good few scenes that are over the top. It's definitely check your brain at the door movie but i dunno... it's certainly not a bad movie and enjoyable in quite a few places. Everyone is great in it. It's just, as you say, i'm not 15 tho. If i was im sure i'd be saying this was the movie of the year :pac:

Advertisement