Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Concrete Vs Plastic Water Troughs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Gravelly wrote: »
    It floats half in and half out if you know what I mean. When the water freezes it compresses the ball rather than bursting the trough.

Wouldn't it make more sense to remove the drain plug during winter as you will have to drain the stagnant water after the winter anyway?

Perhaps it would, but in my entire life, I've never seen any farmer around here drain one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Perhaps it would, but in my entire life, I've never seen any farmer around here drain one.

Well if you're milking cows you'll be doing it and during the summer as well. Algae in the trough wouldn't be long hitting milk yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy

Moved a trough yesterday . Tank overfiling as per norm . Went to bend the ball cock to stop it . Bloody thing snapped . And jfc make it so easy to change the ball cock arm .

F**king jfc troughs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Well if you're milking cows you'll be doing it and during the summer as well. Algae in the trough wouldn't be long hitting milk yield.

Mentioned that to my neighbour who milks a large herd. He threw his eyes up to heaven. Not sure what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Troughs forever a problem. Gave a so called "expert " a big job doing the water system in a greenfield site. Promised me no problems with electro fusion joints etc but I had plenty of leaks and freezing where pipe crossed ditches. On another farm I just ran inch hg along the paddock fences with strategic placed quick attach couplings. I use a smallish sized Jfc plastic trough with a long hose and move it when the cattle move paddock. Very handy, easy to find leaks and you can place trough in different place every time to prevent cattle making a bare patch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Mentioned that to my neighbour who milks a large herd. He threw his eyes up to heaven. Not sure what that means.

It means your neighbour is as ignorant as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

So concrete ones are the best. I have to replace a few here and add one or two more.
    Where is the best place in the west to buy them? Oharas have them but don't supply ballcock or fittings. They look a good solid one very heavy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Moved a trough yesterday . Tank overfiling as per norm . Went to bend the ball cock to stop it . Bloody thing snapped . And jfc make it so easy to change the ball cock arm .

F**king jfc troughs

You are just too strong.:D

They need to be heated before bending them.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy

blue5000 wrote: »

F**king jfc troughs

You are just too strong.:D

They need to be heated before bending them.

Too strong or too lazy lol ..no way was I taking it off and bringing into yard to heat it lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭memorystick

nhg wrote: »
    Concrete it is so...

Recommendations on best brands greatly appreciated as we have 5 to buy (thinking along the lines of 140 gallon Top Fill with emptying bung)

Thinking of the same. How much did you pay? I've about 8 to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭nhg

Thinking of the same. How much did you pay? I've about 8 to buy.

Paid €180 each for 150 gallon top fill Spillane Concrete Tanks this didn't include the ballcock etc....

Would those high powered cigarette lighters generate enough heat to bend the brass arm? Teemore water trough in shed always dribbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

A high powered cigarette lighter? What kind of cigarettes are you lighting! You can pick up a small blowtorch with gas canister for small money and always handy to have.

What’s lads opinions on putting concrete bases underneath the troughs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

What’s lads opinions on putting concrete bases underneath the troughs?

That’s what I did with plastic troughs already bought and installed when I realized error of buying plastic ones.

For concrete troughs a flat even base is fine. Think real trick when installing is to get a little fall towards drain holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anfieldrd

What size trough would be sufficient for 100 cow herd? What size pipe are lads using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

anfieldrd wrote: »
    What size trough would be sufficient for 100 cow herd? What size pipe are lads using?

Min 180 gallon and 3/4 inch piping,fast flow ball cock
    Pressure at pump set to at least 50 bar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Mortelaro wrote: »

Maybe 50psi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Yeah ,thought that's what I wrote :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Mortelaro wrote: »
    anfieldrd wrote: »

It would depend on the farm as well. If it was a long narrow farm with some land higher than the water source it might need 1.25 inch for the start of the piping and all 3/4 inch from there on.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Anyone selling them in the midlands the LOW (Laois,Offaly,Westmeath)counties specifically. Concrete ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Lad not to far from me rearing bulls. Put down a few scrapped cattle slats around the troughs. Saves the ground around the troughs in wet weather and stops bulls rooting in the dry weather.

I says wrote: »
    Anyone selling them in the midlands the LOW (Laois,Offaly,Westmeath)counties specifically. Concrete ones

Liffeys or Spillanes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Liffeys or Spillanes

You would have to have Banaghers under bulls. As well did he put mats on them. You need mats under bulls

Slava Ukrainii

You would have to have Banaghers under bulls. As well did he put mats on them. You need mats under bulls

I was talking about concrete water troughs Bass;) not slats. There's been a few disappointed lads around here lately with Banagher slats letting them down, pun intended.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Liffeys or Spillanes

+1 for Spillane's. Fine trough

What would be the best size for 80 bullocks max in the one paddock? Concrete and might put on concrete base as ground can be challenging and sticky. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

What would be the best size for 80 bullocks max in the one paddock? Concrete and might put on concrete base as ground can be challenging and sticky. Thanks

150gls from spillanes around 220€

• Advertisement
Advertisement