Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome New Members/Old Members - Introduce yourself here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 galtee10

Hi
    Limerick man here.Have spent long while reading here and learning and now decided to join.
    Have small suckler herd and I finish offspring.Busy last few years reseeding and tidying up based on advice posted here.Paddocks starting to look good now .work in public service and mostly enjoy farming.love looking in here in evenings.
    Cattle prices and Limerick hurlers really put years on me but will soldier on with both and continue to suffer more lows than highs I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

Kerry man here, mid thirties with 2 small ones. Spend a good few years off farm working in financial sector in Dublin. Took over in 2010 and was working full time down here until early 2013 when converted from dry cattle to dairy, currently milking 70 cows, build up to about 100 over next few years, just accepted 4 month contract from Sept to Dec in my old industry to have cash to cover super levy next spring.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mick.mcginley

donegal man in mid 30s. help father on suckler/sheep farm. self employed carpenter. my partner has small farm for her/kids 3 horses/ponies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

KCTK wrote: »
    Kerry man here, mid thirties with 2 small ones.

Sorry lad, just to clarify, is that kids or balls?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,908 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

galtee10 wrote: »
    Hi
    Limerick man here.Have spent long while reading here and learning and now decided to join.
    Have small suckler herd and I finish offspring.Busy last few years reseeding and tidying up based on advice posted here.Paddocks starting to look good now .work in public service and mostly enjoy farming.love looking in here in evenings.
    Cattle prices and Limerick hurlers really put years on me but will soldier on with both and continue to suffer more lows than highs I guess.
    welcome to boards

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Sorry lad, just to clarify, is that kids or balls?

Both!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Kerry man here, mid thirties with 2 small ones. Spend a good few years off farm working in financial sector in Dublin. Took over in 2010 and was working full time down here until early 2013 when converted from dry cattle to dairy, currently milking 70 cows, build up to about 100 over next few years, just accepted 4 month contract from Sept to Dec in my old industry to have cash to cover super levy next spring.....

our vet was in the yard a year or two ago and mentioned this lad (never told me the lads name) from over around your direction that was after giving up a great job in finance to go farming.... was it you he was referring to??

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

20 year old apprentice mechanic, nearly finished then going to ag-college.
    In North County Dublin, 150 acres, 100 grain the rest vegetables and spuds, also some poly tunnels, self sufficient machinery wise, fleet of old-modern Massey Fergusons, grain goes for feed, have a farm shop selling our produce as well as supplying wholesale markets, restaurants, and chippers. Currently building a cold store, and hoping to update washing and packhouse facilities.

our vet was in the yard a year or two ago and mentioned this lad (never told me the lads name) from over around your direction that was after giving up a great job in finance to go farming.... was it you he was referring to??

Well suppose it could be, all depends on what his definition of great job was... Caused enough tongue wagging around this area anyway when I did it, told a neighbour on Saturday night that I was going back working in Sept as bank closing in on me and might have to sell up, just between me and him now mind, should be hearing it all over the place within the week!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Well suppose it could be, all depends on what his definition of great job was... Caused enough tongue wagging around this area anyway when I did it, told a neighbour on Saturday night that I was going back working in Sept as bank closing in on me and might have to sell up, just between me and him now mind, should be hearing it all over the place within the week!!!!!

I told a similar bad news story about the father a few weeks ago to two lads in the pub , it only took 3 days for it to get back to him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

moy83 wrote: »
    I told a similar bad news story about the father a few weeks ago to two lads in the pub , it only took 3 days for it to get back to him :D

Nothing like a story to grow legs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭dzer2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Nothing like a story to grow legs

The only thing I miss about going for a pint. Is setting lads straight about how things are:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭piebaldskwbald

Might as well represent the other sex!

Limerick woman here, part time farmer and full time student. Mad into all sorts of animals. Keep sheep and sucklers- mainly Saler crosses. Have milked for a neighbour for the past number of years. Keep an Irish Draught stallion for hunting and jumping. Have spent time working abroad with llamas and camels, as well as grooming dogs and cats...

Probably one of the younger members here but sure, thats no problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Limerick woman here, part time farmer and full time student. Mad into all sorts of animals. Keep sheep and sucklers- mainly Saler crosses. Have milked for a neighbour for the past number of years. Keep an Irish Draught stallion for hunting and jumping. Have spent time working abroad with llamas and camels, as well as grooming dogs and cats...

Welcome aboard

You studying anything interesting?

Reggie. wrote: »
    Welcome aboard

Thank you :) bit of craic if anything! :D

You studying anything interesting?

Depends what you define interesting, but veterinary, so I suppose it's interesting :P

Depends what you define interesting, but veterinary, so I suppose it's interesting :P

Fair play, seeing as you seem to love the farming then veterinary will never seem like work for you:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Interested in 12 weeks work next spring looking after calves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Always good to have another member on the team that knows about animals. Welcome aboard :)

• Advertisement

Fair play, seeing as you seem to love the farming then veterinary will never seem like work for you:-)

Thanks! :) So far so good anyway... Only time I feel like I'm working is if I've to get up at 3am for a calving :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Thanks! :) So far so good anyway... Only time I feel like I'm working is if I've to get up at 3am for a calving :P

Welcome! That's a horse of a username.

Ya need to reorganize your time that you're doin calvings on your way home from socializing :-)

Welcome! That's a horse of a username.

Ya need to reorganize your time that you're doin calvings on your way home from socializing :-)

Enjoying the use of puns there, Genghis Cant. Interesting username yourself.

I'll have to hire a designated driver to collect me from the pub so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Part-time farmer in Tipp. Small holding now, but reared on large suckler farm.
    Hence, no cows, rear calves to beef, mainly AAX.
    Day job is Estate Agent. Had more time to farm between 2009 and 2013 than ever before;), but as things getting busy again, farming time reducing.
    Lucky to have made farm "handy" to work while money was available. Paddocks, roadways, good reseeding program. Next investment, about to start later this month, is slatted feed passage in old shed.
    Love the practical, but also the theoretical side of farm. Measure grass, weigh cattle, try to reconcile figures...
    Lucky to love both day-job and farm. 3 teenage kids and great farming wife lighten the load. Tipp hurling supporter, of course:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Part-time farmer in Tipp. Small holding now, but reared on large suckler farm.
    Hence, no cows, rear calves to beef, mainly AAX.
    Day job is Estate Agent. Had more time to farm between 2009 and 2013 than ever before;), but as things getting busy again, farming time reducing.
    Lucky to have made farm "handy" to work while money was available. Paddocks, roadways, good reseeding program. Next investment, about to start later this month, is slatted feed passage in old shed.
    Love the practical, but also the theoretical side of farm. Measure grass, weigh cattle, try to reconcile figures...
    Lucky to love both day-job and farm. 3 teenage kids and great farming wife lighten the load. Tipp hurling supporter, of course:)

Everything about you was going well but then you went and spoilt it by saying you were a Tip hurling supporter:D:D:D Nothing to do this summer Galway Supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

lillen wrote: »
    23 year old Swedish guy who ended up in Dublin.
    Been living here for just over 2 years now.
    Working with technical support over at IBM in Blanchardstown.
    Love motors, love computer games, love football.
    Living in Dublin 24, supporting Bohemians.

Any questions, don't be shy!

Are ya any gud to milk bulls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

23 year old Swedish guy who ended up in Dublin.
    Been living here for just over 2 years now.
    Working with technical support over at IBM in Blanchardstown.
    Love motors, love computer games, love football.
    Living in Dublin 24, supporting Bohemians.

Any questions, don't be shy!

Do you come from a farming background?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lillen

Willfarman wrote: »
    Do you come from a farming background?

Hahaha, did not realize that this thread was in Farming & Forestry! So sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Ha I was thinking that! Welcome aboard anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Don't rush off, you could learn a lot! :D

Advertisement