Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maritime Forum Photo Gallery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,029 ✭✭✭✭neris

Great pics of the sub but why do the dutch need submarines?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

neris wrote: »

well the entire country COULD be underwater if the dykes fail!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

neris wrote: »

Why does anyone need submarines. Its a NATO force, with large dependencies in the Caribbean and elsewhere to protect.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

cool. Was it a planned visit? Are they doing any tours?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Must be for the Naval Festival in Cork this weekend 18th. Looks like a great line up. Flag day on Saturday night.

jamesdiver wrote: »
    cool. Was it a planned visit? Are they doing any tours?

• Advertisement

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Must be for the Naval Festival in Cork this weekend 18th. Looks like a great line up. Flag day on Saturday night.

Doubtful. She is scheduled to leave this afternoon. She may come back of course later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Does anyone have a list of the ships that are coming to Cork for the festival I cant find one anywhere.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a list of the ships that are coming to Cork for the festival I cant find one anywhere.

Not finalised yet.
    RFS Soobrazitelniy will be visiting Cork 18-23 October - See more at: http://www.seawaves.com/portvisits.asp#sthash.6lTLtYxL.dpuf

Thanks Goldie, lovely looking ship, I saw on their website that eleven warships were coming but I cant find which ones they are surely at this stage they know ???

They do, but you don't want the crusties, shinners etc getting advance notice to set up their "anti war" protest, and thus close it down for the public.

Joe public doesn't care, a navy ship is a navy ship, a navy ship open to the public is just that regardless of shape, size or flag.

Hope the Wardroom in Haulbowline stocks up with booze before the budget. It could be empty by Saturday morning.

• Advertisement

Right, details coming in dribs and drabs. Confirmed so far(but only to anchor).

Bns Primula
    BNS Stern
    FS Panthere
    Hms Monmouth
    Soobrasitelny

And L.E. Eithne taking the review as usual.

1385332_532530416829859_136128479_n.jpg

Should look good, depending on weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Thanks for that Goldie. I can’t make it to Cobh because of work, but I could get to Ringaskiddy at that time. I was wondering would there be much of a view from the public slip over by the ferry terminal? You can see everything from Monkstown to half way down the cruise liner berth. Any use? Or any use going to the viewing spot just passed the entrance to the Naval base?

murphym7 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Goldie. I can’t make it to Cobh because of work, but I could get to Ringaskiddy at that time. I was wondering would there be much of a view from the public slip over by the ferry terminal? You can see everything from Monkstown to half way down the cruise liner berth. Any use? Or any use going to the viewing spot just passed the entrance to the Naval base?

Going from Past reviews(one last year, and one in 1996) you'll see nothing from the Ringaskiddy side. The review usually starts at Whitegate and ends in front of the Oil Wharf. The reviewing ship is then going to the Cruise Liner berth in Cobh. Cobh, or in a boat, is the best vantage point.

Goldie you say going to anchor where will that be, also do you know if the Russian ship will be open to the public

Between Whitegate refinery , around the spit bank and along Cobh Roads. Can Only Confirm L.E Aisling going to city quays at the moment.

Between Whitegate refinery , around the spit bank and along Cobh Roads. Can Only Confirm L.E Aisling going to city quays at the moment.

Thanks goldie, not going to much to see so if they are going to be anchored all over the place, their website says they will be all at the quays and lit up etc and synchronized flag lowering at sunset on all the ships. It will be a very poor event if only LE Asling is there and thats not knocking Aisling just want to see the rest of the visitors.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Thanks goldie, not going to much to see so if they are going to be anchored all over the place, their website says they will be all at the quays and lit up etc and synchronized flag lowering at sunset on all the ships. It will be a very poor event if only LE Asling is there and thats not knocking Aisling just want to see the rest of the visitors.

That's after the Review, the Review is on Friday Morning.

Please click the link I provided earlier. That's where I get my info. I know no more than that, so there is no point arguing with me about it.

From Friday until Sunday, 18th to 20th October, Cork Harbour will be a hive of activity, as the Irish Naval Service welcomes visiting foreign naval vessels to Cork for not-to-be-missed Cork Rebel Week Naval festivities.

The international Naval Festival begins on Friday 18th at 11am, when visiting foreign naval ships take part in a spectacular Naval Fleet Review in Lower Cork Harbour, adjacent to Cobh. The Naval Fleet Review is a traditional gathering of ships which is observed by a dignitary from the hosting State.

Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, Mr. Alan Shatter (T.D.) will take the Fleet Review onboard L.É. EITHNE, and will take a salute from each of the ships as they pass. Before embarking onboard L.É. EITHNE for the fleet review, Minister Shatter will review a 50 person Naval Guard of Honour at Cobh at 10.15 a.m.

The Fleet Review itself promises to be an impressive spectacle as each of the 11 war ships, both saluting and being saluted, have their decks lined with their respective crews and the ships dressed overall with colourful naval flags. There will be a selection of Irish Naval Service vessels on display, as well as British, Russian, French and Belgian war ships taking part in the review.

Lt. Cdr Brian Fitzgerald of the Irish Naval Service is inviting the general public to come out on Friday morning. He says “We’re inviting the public to come along and witness what promises to be an amazing display on the water. The best vantage point for the Fleet Review is along the waterfront at Cobh, or indeed on the water itself. Private boats and yachts are very welcome, and registration is not essential.”

Once complete, the fleet will weigh anchor and proceed to Cork City and the Port of Cork, where the quays will be accessible to the general public for the remainder of the Naval Festival. The ships will remain dressed overall with colourful naval flags by day and lights by night. Five of the visiting foreign naval ships and two Irish Naval Service ships will be anchored berth alongside on the quays, some of which will be open to the public for tours over the course of the weekend. The Russian ship with berth alongside Cobh for the duration of the Naval Festival.

Public access to ships is as follows:
    Saturday 19th: 12pm – 6pm*
    Sunday 20th: 1pm -5pm
    * - Ships at Custom House Quay will close at 4pm

As part of routine Naval ceremonial, each of the ships will perform a synchronised lowering of its flags at sunset before lighting the ships overall for night hours during the festival. With some many ships in company this promises to be an impressive display each evening.

Timings of Sunset are as follows:
    Friday 18th: 6.32pm
    Saturday 19th: 6.30pm
    Sunday 20th: 6.28pm

To celebrate the Fleet Review, Iarnrod Eireann (Irish Rail) is pleased to offer special rates by train from Cork to Cobh on Friday 18th and for the entire weekend. To avail of 10% discount, simply book rail tickets online using the special discount code CRWR2571.

http://www.corkrebelweek2013.com/viewNews/y/2013/m/10/id/170/

1374048_533730903376477_496627708_n.jpg

What's where, and when. Just noticed, the map in use is old, and inaccurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Not the most pleasant day for it. Weather is brutal, lots of wind, lots of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

In town this afternoon:
    10347451585_86480e1fcf_z.jpg
    IMG_5591 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

10347427196_7cb147f98f_z.jpg
    Lion and Panthere by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

10347402344_e905618f4c_z.jpg
    Lion and Panthere by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

10347390566_b1ac804cb6_z.jpg
    Primula by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

10347554613_3b8baec896_z.jpg
    IMG_5598 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

10347344096_c0cce9a47d_z.jpg
    Working at less height by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

10347245434_1620f0362c_z.jpg
    IMG_5611_stitch by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

10347247156_33046759f2_z.jpg
    IMG_5620_stitch by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

10347320896_55246b8805_z.jpg
    Working at height by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

10347226054_9b16eaef9b_z.jpg
    IMG_5623_stitch by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

10347301226_2086c8f3c5_z.jpg
    Stern by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

10347228846_19a29034f2_z.jpg
    IMG_5627_stitch by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

10347464353_497c21cacd_z.jpg
    LE Eithne by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

10347218376_f4506cac4a_z.jpg
    LE Aisling by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

I'll see if I can add HMS Northumberland and Soobrazitelnyy over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

One and a half minute vid of HMS Northumberland passing Blackrock Castle [yesterday] Friday 18/10/2013

https://myspace.com/gerger7/video/hmsnorth/109452688?mri=112115774

[myspace]109452688[/myspace]

Russian stealth corvette {Frigate} Soobrazitelnyy in Cobh this morning [Saturday 19th Oct 2013]

276638.JPG

276639.JPG

276640.JPG

276641.JPG

Red Nissan wrote: »
    One and a half minute vid of HMS Northumberland passing Blackrock Castle [yesterday] Friday 18/10/2013

https://myspace.com/gerger7/video/hmsnorth/109452688?mri=112115774

[myspace]109452688?mri=112115774[/myspace]

Myspace?????

Not working here. Maybe I need a time machine?

Myspace?????

Not working here. Maybe I need a time machine?

Myspace has better quality with faster uploads.

There is a blocker of some sort on your browser, I can view it from a separate laptop and my iPhone, an we all know how cantankerous that is and through Firefox, Safari and even arch enemy, Google.

https://vimeo.com/77288076

It's lower quality.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Where in the name of God IS that?? :eek::eek::eek:

That's Ryanferries in Russia.

There are new job opportunities in the Irish Health & Safety board as ALL existing employees and policy maker and enforcers have died of heart attack after watching this gun-ho video.

• Advertisement

Red Nissan wrote: »
    https://vimeo.com/77288076

It's lower quality.

Do they know there is a 5kn speed limit there :) Love the sound of the RR Speys there. A nice, powerful, whistle.

Advertisement