Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

ah ive been listening to foley for 3 years now

its light entertainment and about as humerous as anything else on the radio, maybe he could mix it up a bit more but to be fair, 3 meteor awards in a row, he's doing something right when the other DJ's wernt even given a chance by the bookies

I was listening today and other DJ's were saying that foley not so much this year was touting mercilessly to get people to vote. The more seasoned broadcasters were happy to sit back and let it happen. I'n my opinion the awards are given out to who ever shouts the loudest and believe me Foley is not backward in coming forward

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Like the show, except for Fridays! Lazy radio is terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

3 meteor awards in a row, he's doing something right

Yeah, begging for votes. I tuned out long ago for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

This year he didnt do as much shouting as previous years

like any "PUBLIC VOTE" event your going to shout for support, but in this case this year he employed a "ok now" system where if they recieved a load of "ok now's" for a particular segment it showed the fans enjoyed a particular segment and he would play a pre-recorded 5 second ad about vote for Ray foley and then continue with the show.

most shows you only heard the jingle maybe twice which on previous years is a massive step down in shouting

in fact he spent most of his time trying to get KC from Cork RDJ3 to win Regional DJ, because he and JP put 50 euro each down in the bookies at 4/1 (100 @ 4/1 = 400 lids + 100 back) to raise 500 sheets for Haiti and ended up promoting KC more than himself

so this year, he won the meteor, with the merciless shouting, and still was the bookies favourite by an absolute mile. Paddy power had him at 1/7 or 1/8 with his closest rival given odds of 7/1.

He's the only DJ in Today FM who increased his listenership in JNLR this year, every other DJ lost listeners, some in big percents.

I'd like to be able to sit here objectively and moan about the show, but he's an award winning, year on year listenership increasing DJ who still makes me chuckle from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Cerocco wrote: »
    Just a point out but you seem in the minority here??? I guess his taking the piss/having a laught is wearing thin for alot of people - That seems to be the majority so far:eek:

Majority of who? 10 people on a message board or 100000+ who listen every day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Cerocco wrote: »
    Just a point out but you seem in the minority here??? I guess his taking the piss/having a laught is wearing thin for alot of people - That seems to be the majority so far:eek:

The minority?seems to be fairly well balanced. The facts of it are is that he's proven to have a successful lunch time show. He gets flack for ripping off Chris Moyles - i'm so glad that someone has finally started to take influences from a source outside ireland's banal radio and bring it to these shores. He doesn't completely rip off moyles, but takes influences from a hugely successful dj, which happens in every creative environment - music, tv, design, etc.

What percentage of the irish radio-listening population listen,or have the means to listen to uk radio?A very small percentage I would imagine. Foley is taking a successful product, putting an irish twist on it, and applying it successfully within Ireland.No commercial product will have 100% following (believe it or not there are people that don't like using an ipod!),only listenership statistics will prove that. I honestly think these heavily sponsored public voting awards are codswallop, but it does prove listenership ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Heh heh, codswallop! Sounds tasty.

Moyles for President!

*Hungover*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

one things for sure.he's glued to this thread...ain't I right buddy? :)

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

I just turn the radio off when he comes on... Dempsey and Darcy are great....turn off the radio then til Fenton and Cooper come on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

tunguska wrote: »
    Im really suprised theres not already a thread on this show. I'll get one going so. What do you think of him and his show?
    At first I thought he was an asshole, hated him and the show. But he's starting to grow on me, I get his sense of humour a little more now. JP is pretty much his clone and ann Gleeson seems afable enough.
    So what do you think of foley?

If Mr Smugbeard from the Christmas Meteor ad was a radio show it would be the Ray Foley show.

The sound of three people who could not be more pleased with themselves if they tried. I avoid.

Sometimes though if I'm driving I'll turn him on just to see what's going on and it's nearly always the same.

Ray makes crappy joke. Two cronies laugh like hyenas.

Ray says how great he is (but all in a tongue in cheek way of course).

Ray plays the theme song from some old TV programme like Magnum PI or Fraggle Rock.

More witty banter between Ray and two cackling cronies.

Some horrendously irritating jingle is played.

Ray says how great he is (ironically of course).

Ray and cronies shout over each other and show ends.

....and they shall call him, Ray Foley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Fago_25 wrote: »
    Which is why we love him! renember?

<yoink>

I would like you to explain why I shouldn't ban you for this comment...
    giftgrub wrote: »
    one things for sure.he's glued to this thread...ain't I right buddy? :)

Please don't insinuate that anyone on this thread is Ray Foley. Doing so would be breaking the charter which I am sure you have already read..

Slidey wrote: »

Please don't insinuate that anyone on this thread is Ray Foley. Doing so would be breaking the charter which I am sure you have already read..

Apologys Slidey. And apologys to the person it was aimed at. I wasn't saying it to that guy, I actually dunno why I said it. I must have been drunk.

Edit: it was 5 to 12 last night. I was drunk. A lesson not to boards when inebriated.

Slidey wrote: »

Just my two cents worth, but threats of this nature, over something obviously very much tounge in cheek, and in keeping with the Ray Foley theme of the thread are, imo, a bit childish. Is there no banter allowed on boards?

Edit. Even if he was drunk.

Just my two cents worth, but threats of this nature, over something obviously very much tounge in cheek, and in keeping with the Ray Foley theme of the thread are, imo, a bit childish. Is there no banter allowed on boards?

Edit. Even if he was drunk.

Boards has a strict 'No Personal Abuse' policy. Just log on to youtube and look at some of the comments on there to see how a lack of this policy works. If you have any further queries please PM me instead of posting on here.

Thanks.

Back on topic now people please

Yes OT!

He's won three meteor awards, and a few ppi's. Either way if you love or hate him, you gottsa respect that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

His show is pure ****e. I love today FM in general but I turn off when i hear him. Only Matt Cooper is on in the evenings, their is a chance I would never tune back to Today Fm.
    They giggle at stupid things, its like a studio full of dumb blondes.

Since I made this post no one has taken me to task.
    This proves only one thing

I AM 100% RIGHT!!!

Since I made this post no one has taken me to task.
    This proves only one thing

I AM 100% RIGHT!!!

100% right that you don't like the show. Well done, give yourself a gold star.

100% right that you don't like the show. Well done, give yourself a gold star.

I am not alone my friend!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Fago_25 wrote: »
    Yes OT!

He's won three meteor awards, and a few ppi's. Either way if you love or hate him, you gottsa respect that...

In fairness, Westfcukinlife keep winning Meteors. Respect? ....I still want to hang the pricks by the balls !

I am not alone my friend!!

Of course not, 4m+ people living in Ireland. Not all listen to Ray Foley. 2 gold stars.

Of course not, 4m+ people living in Ireland. Not all listen to Ray Foley. 2 gold stars.

Ah! you are good at maths as well!!

Ah! you are goods at maths as well!!

;)

;)
    Time for bed Good night Amigo. Happy banter.

Enough.

This is why Ray Foley threads were banned, because of the snipping between posters.

Closed for now.

Opened again.

Please keep the bickering out of it.

Thanks

Wahoo. Thanks Slidey.

A question for Foley fans - Do you think he was better on the blast or his current show?

I didn't listen to the blast but heard a few clips on youtube. It's kind of different to now. I wish I had clips of old podblasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

A question for Foley fans - Do you think he was better on the blast or his current show?
    Hard to say,he was edgier on the blast,got away with doing and saying alot of things he certainly wouldn't get away with now!

• Advertisement

Hard to say,he was edgier on the blast,got away with doing and saying alot of things he certainly wouldn't get away with now!

Cause it was on at night time.

KC's doing that slot with a similar show.

He'll give Ray a run for his money....

Advertisement