Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nocturnal Nerds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

SDooM wrote: »
    Suuuuuuuurrrre.

There are 10 types of people in this world: People who understand binary, and people who dont.

If you understood that you are a nerd.

not really if you understand this then you really are a nerd.

Why do nerds think Halloween and Christmas are the same?

Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I’d consider myself to have nerdy traits but I think if people meet me it’d take a while for that to come out.

Firstly, boards. I spend a lot of time here and have lots of online friends. When I tell my real life friends I’m going to boards beers they think I’m mad.

I like computer games and spend a bit of time playing them.

I have a degree in Chemistry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

animan wrote: »
    Well it's all farms anywhere other than dublin so there cant be more than 10 houses between tralle and dingle.
    there are thousands buddy :p good look trying to find mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Suuuuuuuurrrre.

There are 10 types of people in this world: People who understand binary, and people who dont.

If you understood that you are a nerd.

Quiet you :mad:
    Just cos i am really good at maths means nothing Mr. Doom :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

If what you're all saying is correct.. then it would appear that I am not a nerd.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm a member of a very nerdy online forum called boards.ie :D

I'm studying Physics & Maths @ college :o

When I was in 2nd Year, I won our school's chess competition.

I love watching Countdown.

I regain some cool points because I have a bass :cool: And lose them again because I can't actually play it :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

BrynW wrote: »
    Quiet you :mad:
    Just cos i am really good at maths means nothing Mr. Doom :mad:

I'm not the one who thinks being a nerd is an insult. :)

I'm not the one who thinks being a nerd is an insult. :)

Ssshhh :p

MizzLolly wrote: »
    If what you're all saying is correct.. then it would appear that I am not a nerd.:cool:

You got that pocket goth thing going, instant cool points (I know you take exception at goth, but again it's not an insult!)

I regain some cool points because I have a bass :cool: And lose them again because I can't actually play it :(

i'm the opposite, can play but no bass.

• Advertisement

You got that pocket goth thing going, instant cool points (I know you take exception at goth, but again it's not an insult!)

Awww..... Thank you Doomy! :D

So nice!! :)

Awww..... Thank you Doomy! :D

So nice!! :)

Also nerdy! :)

To be honest is being called a nerd such a bad thing?
    basicly the other person is calling you smart! WTF? not much of an insult!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

It also implies a certain degree of social ineptitude

Teutorix wrote: »
    To be honest is being called a nerd such a bad thing?
    basicly the other person is calling you smart! WTF? not much of an insult!

No one here (besides Bryn :) )thinks it's an insult!

raah! wrote: »
    Well at least your not the one going around calling people idiotic names, hows that for social ineptitude? they cant have a civil conversation!

I'd prefer any social issues I have (which I don't :P) to manifest itself as nerdish/geekiness rather than juvenile and skanger-like anyday!

When I called you all nerdish it was not an insult. Nerds are cool :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

No one here (besides Bryn :) )thinks it's an insult!

Ah i'm only messin! I've never actually been called a nerd before though, been called plenty of other things though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I like to think I'm a nerd but I can't think of anything really - I'm not much of a gamer or the like :(.. hrmm, lemme see..

science olympiad type stuff - I even have the medals to prove it.. ;_;

I do maths for the sake of it at times - no idea why I'm not doing it in college!

I can't think of anything else but I know there's more.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I'd prefer any social issues I have (which I don't :P) to manifest itself as nerdish/geekiness rather than juvenile and skanger-like anyday!

When I called you all nerdish it was not an insult. Nerds are cool :pac:
    You can call me anything you want :pac:

Get back in your box you :P

Teutorix wrote: »
    Well at least your not the one going around calling people idiotic names, hows that for social ineptitude? they cant have a civil conversation!

Heh, yeah. I think really the word can be offensive or not depending the intention of the person calling you it. The definition smarter child gives seems a bit off.... not very nice tbh

*nerd*:NounSlang 1. A foolish, inept, or unattractive person. 2. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.EtymologyPerhaps after Nerd, a character in If I Ran the Zoo, by Theodor Seuss Geisel.

humm, I don't think any modern intepretation has "foolish" in it.

... it seems my text has gone blue

Actually I disagree. A nerd to me is someone who's interests fall outside the parameters of what society considers an acceptable pursuit. The social side comes into it because this can make them something of a pariah.

Someone who knows everything about LFC doesn't suffer the way some one who knows, say, everything about linux distributions would. One considered normal, the other nerdy.

Heh, yeah. I think really the word can be offensive or not depending the intention of the person calling you it. The definition smarter child gives seems a bit off.... not very nice tbh

*nerd*:NounSlang 1. A foolish, inept, or unattractive person. 2. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.EtymologyPerhaps after Nerd, a character in If I Ran the Zoo, by Theodor Seuss Geisel.

humm, I don't think any modern intepretation has "foolish" in it.

... it seems my text has gone blue

the foolish inept unattractive sounds more reminiscent of the modern use of geek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

I'm not a nerd but then again I'm not really on this forum.

Though I do read Harry Potter and hav me ECDL.

Is that nerdy?

it actually used to annoy me back in secondary school, i used to be called a nerd for liking computers. but now i just realise they were just hypocrites as they all have their faces plastered all over bebo and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

hunter164 wrote: »
    I'm not a nerd but then again I'm not really on this forum.

Though I do read Harry Potter and hav me ECDL.

Is that nerdy?
    no :)

Actually I disagree. A nerd to me is someone who's interests fall outside the parameters of what society considers an acceptable pursuit. The social side comes into it because this can make them something of a pariah.

Someone who knows everything about LFC doesn't suffer the way some one who knows, say, everything about linux distributions would. One considered normal, the other nerdy.

Well I have certainly never meant it when I used the word. But people who use it as an insult would. And people do seem to use it as an insult. What's LFC :) ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

CuLT already does :p

Advertisement