Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular places to go on holidays

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Never been. Even when I lived up t'north. It's got a horrid reputation.

Not difficult to see why. It's a real dog turd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Maybe it was just me.

I hated it, the pier itself is a nice walk but that's where it ends.

It's very poor, very run down, pie shops, chippers and cheap amusements.

Very tacky, pubs very rough, numerous fights, men & women, drug dealing is very public, very chavtastic and I've probably never seen as much public oral sex before or since.

It was years ago and might have improved since but I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

A lot of English seaside towns are quite dodgy sadly. That makes sense.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

yagan wrote: »
    As others have said Cambodia was actually great. I think spent nearly two weeks in Siem Riep just exploring the temples of Angkor.

Phnom Penh was seedy, stayed a few days and got out but we really enjoyed chilling at the beach in sihanoukville as it didn't have hawkers and pimps like in Thailand.

Myanmar was a real headreck though. Beautiful and friendly but so sad too. I'd call it a challenging destination, lots to see that will you'll be thinking about for the rest of your life.

I adored Myanmar, went on a TD trip with a lovely guide throughout. Stayed in superb hotels with great varied food and breakfasts. The country produces amazing baked beans. Of course, knowing now what was happening in parts of the country is so sad. For a seriously third world country it is surprisingly tidy. I had to laugh at one of the internal airline online brochures that they were trying to improve their safety record by re recruiting women to train as pilots! So sexist, why not actually *train* all their pilots in the first place. There had been one instance, a non fatal crash in Bagan (very short runway) where the captain did not realise it was his copilot’s very first attempt to land anything bigger than a Cessna, in other words he knew little more about flying than some of his passengers. If I remember right he had never even been on board an ATR in his life before!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Krakow has a torture chamber next to a brothel. I'm not joking.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Plenty of fantastic countries and cities that are not commonly on people's itineries without going to an active conflict zone, depends what you're looking for op.

If you're heading west check out Montevideo or maybe Havana. East, check out Ulaanbaatar or China (not Hong Kong or Macau if you're looking for somewhere less travelled to). Closer to home try the Balkans (non coastal nations like Bosnia, Serbia or Macedonia) or Belarus where visa regulations were relaxed a few years ago to encourage tourism

I'm not long back from Skopje, Macedonia. It's well worth a day. They have some mad modern Greek style buildings they've built there in the last few years (I believe they are/were in dispute with Greece about some points of history). They buildings house the ministry of foreign affairs and a flash museum but the buildings feel a bit like Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas....pretty fake. The Turkish bazaar in town was great to wander around. Had some great Turkish coffee and one of the nicest deserts I've ever had. Think it was called trilece. The place was very cheap. Lunch for 2 was about €10.

The most unusual place I've probably been was Anchorage. It kind of had a frontier feel to it, like you were on the edge of the civilization.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I know I'll get slated for this but Berlin is the most depressing place I have ever visited.

Mustnt have visited an awful lot of places, and I didnt think Berlin was particularly a nice place either

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

wakka12 wrote: »
    Mustnt have visited an awful lot of places, and I didnt think Berlin was particularly a nice place either

Berlin is amazing . The Museum Insel is fascinating , Grunewald forest and Spreewald are wonderful and the sights and history is fantastic .
    Schloss Charlotten Burg , Reichstag, Spandau , take a trip on the Spree
    You need time to see it all and take it in and wander the street steeped in history

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Holyhead has to get a mention.

Following that theme - it has a bedfellow in Larne

albania looks interesting

Albania is great, few UNESCO towns, coastline is beautiful & it's dirt cheap.
    Also, Macedonia or fyrom or whatever they call it now. Great scenery, very different, & cheap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

bubblypop wrote: »
    Albania is great, few UNESCO towns, coastline is beautiful & it's dirt cheap.
    Also, Macedonia or fyrom or whatever they call it now. Great scenery, very different, & cheap.

I've been to Macedonia. Great wee spot. Big coffee place and Skopje has a great town centre with loads of great bars and coffee places.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I'm not long back from Skopje, Macedonia. It's well worth a day.

one of the nicest deserts I've ever had. Think it was called trilece. .

OMG, I lived for 18 months in the Balkans, I would kill for trilece cake right now! Mouth is watering. Beautiful, & I am not a desert person.
    Skopje is great, unusual, but great. Also, about an hour away is ochra lake, on the border with Albania, beautiful lake & ochra town is lovely. There is a valley outside Skopje with a river, you can hire a boat & sail into caves for very very little money. Also, you can go to the coast in Greece in two hours.
    Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    It's effectively Romania only much less affluent
    this is wrong, looking at Moldova's demographics: separate countries with separate ethos imo.

I'm not working for Bord Fáilte here but given the 'unpopular' word in the thread title has anybody actually considered holidaying in... their locality for even one holiday? I guarantee you that if you look closely you won't be bored.

It's actually great. The local council in my area has a superb heritage season all summer like this where historic sites, parks, houses, cemeteries, castles, monasteries, mills, etc have guided tours and there are guided walks around the place. It was really an eyeopener to places I pass by on a quotidian basis.

Spend one (or two) of the wet summer days in the local history section of your local library - it's a lovely, peaceful break from the world and you're discovering new things. On the noticeboard there you'll probably come across some interesting cultural/musical/educational/health event on that week that you could take yourself off to. I've a much deeper awareness of how my local area developed over the centuries now. I'm googling everything as I go and finding out loads of new history and making links about this area I had never made. You see a lot more when you know a lot more, if that makes sense.

If you've kids, you have tons of places you've never been to - parks, open farms, beaches or whatever to bring them on adventures - and it's much easier than hauling 10 million bags around some roasting hot country. You could even plan some spontaneous last minute midweek overnight stay if you're getting bored. Or save money and camp overnight next to somewhere with the sound of water running all night.

If you make a point of going to gardens, on river walks (where you'll soon build up enough knowledge to start noticing old mills and evidence of various fishing types over the centuries) and finding some unusual world/trad/baroque/classical/gregorian chant concerts in some old acoustically gorgeous stone building or church you've never been to - Eventbrite seems to be a good resource nowadays for that - you can make a really lovely, memorable break at home, as unpopular as that might be.

I'm not long back from Skopje, Macedonia. It's well worth a day. They have some mad modern Greek style buildings they've built there in the last few years (I believe they are/were in dispute with Greece about some points of history). They buildings house the ministry of foreign affairs and a flash museum but the buildings feel a bit like Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas....pretty fake. The Turkish bazaar in town was great to wander around. Had some great Turkish coffee and one of the nicest deserts I've ever had. Think it was called trilece. The place was very cheap. Lunch for 2 was about €10.

The most unusual place I've probably been was Anchorage. It kind of had a frontier feel to it, like you were on the edge of the civilization.

Skopje on my long bucket list! A lot of the Balkans noted for hipster food. The thing is they kind of kept doing what they have always done, but it’s become very hip now. Food from a particular organic farm on the menu... in a hotel I stayed in Gurana, Albania, all the produce is from their organic farm not far outside the city. The meat, the eggs, the cheese, the vegetables, salad, the home-baked bread, the preserves. They kind of expect you to eat what’s been delivered down from the farm that day. They keep some poultry by the hotel entrance.

They seem to have an obsession with pharmacies in Tirana. It’s the area in the world where the science of pharmacies began, in Dubrovnik not to far away. There are spanking clean chemist shops everywhere, in a city full of dangerous potholes, especially on the pavements. There’s plenty of mafia type stuff there (most recently a robbery of an plane at the airport), but a tourist is very safe walking the streets. People are well dressed in this poor country, and seem to live in decent housing/apartments, and second-hand books are hugely in demand. It’s an interesting country as regards religion. Muslims are in the majority, but I saw not one woman wear the head dress, and it seems that the wealth there lies in Christianity with the opulent modern Catholic and Orthodox churches.

I'm not working for Bord Fáilte here but given the 'unpopular' word in the thread title has anybody actually considered holidaying in... their locality for even one holiday? I guarantee you that if you look closely you won't be bored.

It's actually great. The local council in my area has a superb heritage season all summer like this where historic sites, parks, houses, cemeteries, castles, monasteries, mills, etc have guided tours and there are guided walks around the place. It was really an eyeopener to places I pass by on a quotidian basis.

Spend one (or two) of the wet summer days in the local history section of your local library - it's a lovely, peaceful break from the world and you're discovering new things. On the noticeboard there you'll probably come across some interesting cultural/musical/educational/health event on that week that you could take yourself off to. I've a much deeper awareness of how my local area developed over the centuries now. I'm googling everything as I go and finding out loads of new history and making links about this area I had never made. You see a lot more when you know a lot more, if that makes sense.

If you've kids, you have tons of places you've never been to - parks, open farms, beaches or whatever to bring them on adventures - and it's much easier than hauling 10 million bags around some roasting hot country. You could even plan some spontaneous last minute midweek overnight stay if you're getting bored. Or save money and camp overnight next to somewhere with the sound of water running all night.

If you make a point of going to gardens, on river walks (where you'll soon build up enough knowledge to start noticing old mills and evidence of various fishing types over the centuries) and finding some unusual world/trad/baroque/classical/gregorian chant concerts in some old acoustically gorgeous stone building or church you've never been to - Eventbrite seems to be a good resource nowadays for that - you can make a really lovely, memorable break at home, as unpopular as that might be.

The Barrow Valley /Carlow etc is a most interesting area for exploring all the above. Lots to see, old mills by the river, events etc.

The Barrow Valley /Carlow etc is a most interesting area for exploring all the above. Lots to see, old mills by the river, events etc.

There was a great Abhainn documentary on RTÉ featuring it in 2013, with stunning aerial images. Very well worth watching. Actually this seems to be it:

After I did my Leaving Cert in 1978, my mother brought me to Opatija in Croatia (then Yugoslavia) which was the most beautiful seaside place I’ve e we been since. It was my first ever trip abroad (apart from England/Wales) and my mother’s first trip abroad after marrying my father, who was delighted to have the peace of the house go himself! Times were relatively simple with so little spare money and huge air fares.

I think the fact that I didn’t get going to many places when young has made me absolutely delight in traveling now to the great and unusual in a world where so many still throng to the resorts of the masses.

They seem to have an obsession with pharmacies in Tirana. It’s the area in the world where the science of pharmacies began,

Muslims are in the majority, but I saw not one woman wear the head dress, and it seems that the wealth there lies in Christianity with the opulent modern Catholic and Orthodox churches.

And you don't need a prescription for anything, if you know what you want, just go in & buy it & it is dirt cheap.
    I keep telling people I lived in a Muslim country & they don't believe that it is westernised. I lived In the Balkans for 18 months & seen far less women in burkas then I do in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

After I did my Leaving Cert in 1978, my mother brought me to Opatija in Croatia (then Yugoslavia) which was the most beautiful seaside place I’ve e we been since. It was my first ever trip abroad (apart from England/Wales) and my mother’s first trip abroad after marrying my father, who was delighted to have the peace of the house go himself! Times were relatively simple with so little spare money and huge air fares.

I think the fact that I didn’t get going to many places when young has made me absolutely delight in traveling now to the great and unusual in a world where so many still throng to the resorts of the masses.

We stayed in Rabac a few years ago and travelled the Istrian peninsula . A truely stunning part of this world and a wonderful holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I’ve been to Albania & Serbia (you should see the enormous house you get for 80K), where good organic food takes pride of place.

In 80s I went to Faroe Islands where hotel standards were minimal, and I believe the decor exact same from the websites! In 2020 I went to beautiful Greenland, where I enjoyed fabulous sunshine. Ditto in Svalbard.

Antarctica was the most gobsmacking place I’ve ever seen. I swam there on 2C water. The air is absolutely crystal clear, but the stench of dead animals (nature, no disaster) and penguin dung on the shores is revolting!

Am doing the Scottish Islands bit by bit over the years. Have a great fondness for Orkney and it’s megalithic sited.

80 K in Albania or Serbia for a good house? Wayyy less than that. For 80 K you get a good house in Italy. I bought a good apartment there near Milan for nealy half of that price. In the south you can get one near the beach for less than 20.000 (https://www.idealista.it/immobile/16692367/). In Albania or Serbia you can buy a town for 80 K, if someone did offer you something for that price they were probably taking advantage becaude you a foreigner.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't buy a house in Serbia if they gave me 50000!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    You mean other than those many counties with no coastline at all?

Yes, clearly I do! :o

I’m quite random in the fashion I choose trips. The yearn to book a break away comes upon me, I might go to, eg, Ryanair website, put in to and from dates and cycle through the destinations on offer just to see what might be affordable. I might then just click and book wherever I hit upon!

Other times I might use an online travel agency (I find gohop has a terrific human backup service) and looking around Google Earth fairly randomly, might try booking a destination I hit upon. Once, whilst. Pining over the Indian Ocean I came upon Réunion Island, and a bit of googling informed me it was actually a very remote part of France. I made and booking and travelled to this safe tropical island where I could spend my euro and drink the tap water. What I loved best was taking to the air in both a helicopter and microlight, flying through the most spectacular volcanic landscapes, rather like a French Hawaii.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

You could try this place.....

Its in Saudi Arabia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Krakow has a torture chamber next to a brothel. I'm not joking.

Are you thinking of the movie HOSTEL?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Tipperary is great.

Just back from a walk at The Vee - lovely spots for canoeing, walking, cycling, lovely place.

Kildare is much worse

Kildare is in my top five counties ( for livability)

Tipperary folk are the surliest in the land and all of the towns are a letdown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

LirW wrote: »
    My dad had to travel to the autonomous region of Kurdistan in Iraq for work very recently and he said he was blown away by how beautiful it was and how welcoming and friendly people were.

Same for Northern Syria. Gorgeous landscape. Or what's left of it. :(

Good friend of mine is a Syrian Kurdish refugee and he's the kindest, most genuine person I've ever met. Kurdish people are wonderful. And brave as hell. I hope one day when it's safe enough I can visit my friend's homeland Rojava- one of the three Cantons in the great Democratic Confederalist region in Syria that's a model for women’s rights, ecological awareness, and grassroots democracy in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Maybe it was just me.

I hated it, the pier itself is a nice walk but that's where it ends.

It's very poor, very run down, pie shops, chippers and cheap amusements.

Very tacky, pubs very rough, numerous fights, men & women, drug dealing is very public, very chavtastic and I've probably never seen as much public oral sex before or since.

It was years ago and might have improved since but I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

I'm in Tramore at the moment and it's nowhere near as bad as that, but it's certainly a bit run down. Ireland's answer to Blackpool.

Cheaptastic 90s style holiday homes on the sea front- filthy upvc windows, metal work rusting from the sea air and the whole thing a sad reminder of poorly built Section 23 holiday homes thrown up for maximum profit and no consideration to local environment or heritage. Tacky amusement park and arcades in full swing.

Much of the town centre is not great either-unoccupied shops, badly needs a facelift. All a bit sad, neglected and low rent. It's a long way from it's genteel Victorian bathing days.
    The Blue Flag beach is gorgeous though, the surf school is great and the Copper coast from Tramore is beautiful. Lovely cliff walks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Leaseissues

Utah for some hiking and sight seeing and skiing.
    Brno is Czech Republic.cheap as ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Blud

Kashmir is beautiful, really beautiful.

Advertisement