Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

cletus wrote: »
    The moment you realise the motor factors gave you the wrong sized rotor...

And the moment after that when you realise it's a brake disc on this side of the Atlantic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

And the moment after that when you realise it's a brake disc on this side of the Atlantic :pac:

I shall continue to use Americansims interchangeably, so you can stick it up your bum, Toyotafanboi :P

Anyway, you'd be better served answering my question in the slide pin thread, especially considering it's a Toyota

There's a good argument about slide pin grease on the previous page, spilling over onto this one, actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

NCT on Friday so as a well organized motorist I finally managed to find a time to open the boot in my s40. And I even managed to fix it at the same time.

476367.jpg

Since it is old I just put the cables back together and isolated it. I could see signs of same cable being fixed in the past so it is very common.

Also replaced the xenons ballast earlier, well the mechanic did, but I managed to source it at 35 for a pair so happy enough.

Front tires to go in tomorrow or in Thursday and should be good to go for another year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

I apologise in advance this is long winded and embedding images isnt my thing :pac::pac:
    Recently the head unit in the car was acting up i was unable to mute turn it up or down or even switch it off common problem on a4's of this age. Sourced a second hand unit from ebay for under 40 euro so decided to take a gamble and have a go putting it in myself.

First off removed the top bezel surrounding the display screen comes off with a quick pull
    Most awkard part next the bloody centre vents didnt have the correct tool so a long phase tester was used Set the vents to the centre position and you can see a hole middle way that you have to pry on to release the vents. Exact same on opposite side When this is removed you now see the top 2 8mm bolts that secure the head unit in place

IMG-20190328-103813.jpg

After that the ac controls at the bottom just pull out revealing the last two 8mm bolts undo them and the unit can be removed after disconnecting the two plugs on the back
    Simple i thought out with the old and in with the newer one, connected all the cable and powered on the unit turned on switched the controls fine great says I but not quite no sound out of the unit.
    Quick google later and im introduced to Audi component Protection the repacemnt is still locked to the old car feck it anyway:(.This can only be reomeved by Audi themselves or someone with Odis software
    IMG-20190323-131006.jpg
    Time for a quick cup of tea before throwing in the towel.
    Took a complete gamble on the next bt
    While inside having the tea i was looking at how the unit was built and assembled so thought to myself
    IMG-20190328-102926.jpg

IMG-20190328-102944.jpg

Two t15's on either side then two locking tabs on top
    IMG-20190328-102953.jpg
    This then releases the head fascia from the double din unit after a small bit of brute force
    IMG-20190328-102650.jpg
    The tiny red ribbon cable is the last thing that holds the fascia to the back piece disconnected that and voila the fascia can be removed .

Did the same on the original unit and swapped the replacement fascia unit to my old unit said a few prayers got out the holy water reassembled and tried it out

Result!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:
    I now have a fully functioning stereo again Well so far anyway

This post took me longer to do than the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

I hope ye are in the mood to read a story, cause I'm in the mood to write one.

Changed my rear brakes last weekend. Shortly after there was a grinding noise on the left side.

Took the disc and pads back off, cleaned the carrier and shims, reseated everything. Drove the car and there was a grinding noise on the left side.

Bought some brake grease. Took the disc, pads and carrier off. Pulled the slide pins, regreased them. Filed all bearing surfaces on the carrier, hub and caliper. Filed tabs on brake pads. Readjusted the handbrake shoes. Copper grease on all metal to metal contact points. Reassembled everything. Drove the car. Grinding on the fücking left side.

Driving to work yesterday morning, I had the passenger window down trying to hear the noise better. It slowly dawns on me the grinding noise is coming from the front...

Turns out the friction surface of one of the front pads was gone completely, looks like it sheared off completely. The other pad was only worn about half way

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

cletus wrote: »
    Driving to work yesterday morning, I had the passenger window down trying to hear the noise better. It slowly dawns on me the grinding noise is coming from the front...

Turns out the friction surface of one of the front pads was gone completely, looks like it sheared off completely. The other pad was only worn about half way

Thats a good result, Easy fix and you know your back brakes are as good as they can be short of a rebuild.
    :D
    There's always a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Just new rear discs and pads for a retest yesterday. Only thing i worried about was handbrake imbalance but i adjusted them by sound ((listening for slightest rub on each side)) so was confident enough.

Turns out i had a 40% imbalance. Luckily this is under the 50% limit. And as a bonus / i was expexring a 6 month cert seeing as it was expired but got one till May 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not much but I changed the rubber on the rear wiper blade.
    Cost a fiver for new rubber I had to cut to size.
    The old rubber was hanging off in parts so really needed it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I put my 01 Yaris into test 2 weeks ago & it failed dangerous on tyres. I'd a sidewall cut I'd completely missed on walkaround in the morning.

It also needed few bits, couldn't even get the wheels off because my brace was starting to round the nuts, so I had to go to HomeBase and get a spanner. In the end she got:
    1. PSR spring
    2. Front Drop links & ARB bushes
    3. New battery (kept dying during the test)
    4. Two front tyres
    5. Oil, filter, pollen & air filter (while I was in the shop) :o

After doing all that it passed 2nd time & I was delighted. I just passed emissions which increased by 18% in 1 year, and the exhaust is blowing from just above the catalytic converter (in between heat shield and converter).

That's when I got cocky with the DIY, decided to take a look at the cooling system. Car's been overheating going from motorway traffic into city traffic just in the summertime. Light came on and I pulled over, happened 3 times. I noticed fan was never coming on and when I hotwired, fan ran straight up off battery.

Decided to get a new thermostat and switch.The guy in shop gave me a bigger one despite me giving him reg (same gift who told me "there are no anti-roll bar bushes in a 2001 yaris :rolleyes: ). Now remember, this was more of a nice to have, car had passed NCT. Coolant was drained, with a sliver of oil, no doubt due to my overheating the poor head gasket. I put water back in and hoses and plugs and got the right thermostat this morning.

I told myself, FionnK86, this is the day you fix the coolant issues & look forward to a year of motoring without hassle. Everything was done. I decided i'd fill coolant slowly and check for leaks.

Then I spotted it, the reason that earlier on I was hearing 'tink' noises when tightening the thermostat housing. My lovely new bright pink coolant was dripping onto the ground. I panicked and lo and behold, a lovely silver streak was dripping pink coolant from the thermostat housing. I'd just overtorqued it and caused the hairline crack. :mad:

Does anyone have a box of matches? :(

RjeOS5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well I guess I can't complain with the timing of this given my NCT pass on Friday! But my engine warning light came on this afternoon. Nothing really wrong as far as I could tell with the running of the engine. Read the codes, and there are three... lovely. 2 are lean codes, seemingly the cause is vacuum leaks somewhere, this could be anything from easy to major pain in the arse stuff. So obviously hoping it's on the easy end of things. The other code is for the thermostat, something electronic in the thermostat has failed, not overly worried for now. There's no symptoms of a failed thermostat thus far.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Today (Saturday) I put my car up for sale. It's been a great 7 years, but it's time to say goodbye.

9k on fuel, 2.5k on tax, 4k on insurance, and 4k in serviceable parts (tyres, services, brakes, discs, timing belt).
    Few quid too on upgrading it to somewhere near highline.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-vw-passat-cc-low-mileage-full-of-extras/21647967

Loving the Volkswagen life now lads. I had a bit of an issue, very minor in the scheme of things but something I've had to do to no car before.

After driving on a rainy day, the inner tail lights would be full of condensation. Made the car look kind of crap but it'd dry out after a day or two.

I popped off the lamps, removed the little flaps on the inner boot lid cover and undid the two "tenmil sohkets", actually 8mm,

20190421-110745.jpg

20190421-110854.jpg

Less than perfect foam gaskets on the back of the lamps,

20190421-111713.jpg

Cleaned out the lamp housing,

20190421-111745.jpg

20190421-112153.jpg

New gaskets for the lamps,

20190421-110821.jpg

Found this little knub on the corner of the lamp hand been chaifing the body on both corners, so touched up the damage while I was there,

20190421-112850.jpg

Chaifed corner (same on both sides),

20190421-112157.jpg

And touched up,

20190421-112543.jpg

And if you want to see an after pic, just look at the before :)

Standard stuff on European cars, I'm sure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

So my E92 has gotten a bit of an overhaul recently from Valdis for the big stuff and small annoyances by me.
    • Injectors no. 5 & 6 replaced & coded
    • Faults cleared
    • 6 x spark plugs
    • Engine oil
    • Oil Filter
    • Air Filter
    • Fluid Top up
    • Front Shocks replaced x 2
    • Top mounts x 2
    • Bump stops & covers x 4
    • Rear shocks x 2
    • Lower Mounts x 4
    • Top mounts x 2
    • Bump stops & dust covers x 4
    • Handbrake adjust
    • 2 x rear bulbs replaced
    • Brake fluid change
    • Front control arm bushes x 2
    • Camber bolts released
    • Track rods released
    • Suspension arms x 4
    • 2 rear ball joints
    • Wheel alignment

It's driving like a new car :cool:

I also had an intermittent fault with the radio that was driving me crazy. When driving along, the radio would stop and "Telephone Active" would show on the head unit. As with all great electrical faults, a well placed bang on the side of the headunit would fix the fault temporarily. It was driving me nuts, especially after enabling wire-free bluetooth streaming (Link) and a very discreet phone mount (Link) in the car recently. I went at it this morning.

Culprit was a €1 coin that someone had put in the CD slot. It was rattling around in there and shorting out something. Hopefully that's the end of it! Puts me in mind of The Streets

JcSxZJa.jpg?1dc3GXYC.jpgDp7YWeX.jpgu7Xerr3.jpgktWTQVm.jpg

Also had an issue where the washer jets were clogged. Apparently getting at the tank to remove it involves dropping the wheel arch liner and I'm awful at putting fiddly bits like that back on so wen't with a low tech solution to drain the tank....:D

LtAGz3Z.jpg?1

Final niggly fix was the driver's cup holder not retracting properly. A tiny plastic piece keeping tension on a spring had broken off and could be replaced by another low tech solution in the form of a cable tie. :D

d5PKPgO.jpg?1

Last "problem" that I'm choosing to ignore for a while is the totally useless seatbelt butler system. In two minds whether or not to fix it or disable it. Answers on a postcard please....

Hopefully that'll keep her happy for a while.....

W3iJqva.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Fitted new front brake pads on 09 focus. Old ones weren't too bad just squeaking alot and wrecking my head.

Changed a leaking coolant hose from heater matrix to oil cooler,was alot easier than I taught.

Also changed air filter and pollen filter,pollen filter was about of a pain to change.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So my E92 has gotten a bit of an overhaul recently from Valdis for the big stuff and small annoyances by me.
    • Injectors no. 5 & 6 replaced & coded
    • Faults cleared
    • 6 x spark plugs
    • Engine oil
    • Oil Filter
    • Air Filter
    • Fluid Top up
    • Front Shocks replaced x 2
    • Top mounts x 2
    • Bump stops & covers x 4
    • Rear shocks x 2
    • Lower Mounts x 4
    • Top mounts x 2
    • Bump stops & dust covers x 4
    • Handbrake adjust
    • 2 x rear bulbs replaced
    • Brake fluid change
    • Front control arm bushes x 2
    • Camber bolts released
    • Track rods released
    • Suspension arms x 4
    • 2 rear ball joints
    • Wheel alignment

It's driving like a new car :cool:

That is some work! Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The seatbelt butler is easily fixed by buying new units (about €40 each). The old ones just pull out and you can push the new ones in. Also note that when the seatbelts themselves get old they get less stiff. You can solve this by applying starch and ironing them where the handover thing meets them.

Today's job, oil and filter change on the other car in the family, a 1.6 petrol Nissan Note. So so easy to service, just parked it half on the kerb and was able to access everything I needed. I'd say it took all of 40 minutes, with a cup of coffee while the oil drained. Oil and oil filter for now, didn't have the air filter but going to order that with spark plugs for next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Managed to get the roof on my mk1 mx5
    I'd been putting it off for weeks because bolts were sheared and coming out from the body (so I couldn't easily take them out).

Took my father and I about 3 hours, we had to grind down the bolts we could.. drill them out and then try and fit a bolt from the inside through whatever gap was nearby.
    We ended up using bits of wire to pull the bolts into place so we could get a vice grips onto it to finally stick the bolts on.

I don't know if that even makes sense but the roof is now on.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Oil and filter change today.
    1.4 mk1 focus.
    Old oil and filter out and off clean as a whistle.
    New filter on, 3l of new oil in, start the car to level it out and top up the oil, oil pressure light didn't go out as expected, new oil all over the drive way :mad:
    Had sand in the shed so threw that out over the spill and cleaned it up, will power wash tomorrow.

The new filter looks like it has a dodgy thread and didn't seal properly. Had to put the old one back on, and it went on no problem. Car takes about 3.5 l so had to buy another 1l in a local petrol station to bring it up to a reasonable level.

So today, I did a basic oil change on my car and spilled a load of new oil on my drive :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oil and filter change today.
    1.4 mk1 focus.
    Old oil and filter out and off clean as a whistle.
    New filter on, 3l of new oil in, start the car to level it out and top up the oil, oil pressure light didn't go out as expected, new oil all over the drive way :mad:
    Had sand in the shed so threw that out over the spill and cleaned it up, will power wash tomorrow.

The new filter looks like it has a dodgy thread and didn't seal properly. Had to put the old one back on, and it went on no problem. Car takes about 3.5 l so had to buy another 1l in a local petrol station to bring it up to a reasonable level.

So today, I did a basic oil change on my car and spilled a load of new oil on my drive :o

So you will have to do it all again once you get more oil and another filter....

Oh how BB as that must have felt....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Today (Saturday) I put my car up for sale. It's been a great 7 years, but it's time to say goodbye.

9k on fuel, 2.5k on tax, 4k on insurance, and 4k in serviceable parts (tyres, services, brakes, discs, timing belt).
    Few quid too on upgrading it to somewhere near highline.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-vw-passat-cc-low-mileage-full-of-extras/21647967

Best of luck with the sale! That's a great length of time to own a daily, out of interest what was on the clock when you bought it and how much did it cost you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,914 ✭✭✭dodzy

This was annoying me...

478883.JPG

So found the culprit and replaced it. (Lear TMS module). BMW charge €500 for the part. Ebay for 80€. Others would advise that you need to remove either bumper or inner arch liner. In effect, you don't even have to remove the wheel. Just jack her up and its a 10min job. No coding required. Plug & play.

478884.JPG

Also, didn't like the start-up animation on the iDrive screen so change it to this with Bimmercode, along with changing start/stop to OFF as a default.

478885.JPG

One final thing, no pics, but the boot was an issue opening up from the rear. Fob and button inside car worked fine. Disconnected the mechanism from the boot and noticed that the contact with the microswitch was gapped a little too much, resulting in failed contact - 2 minute fix inserting a small filler piece to reduce the travel distance.

Bought it a few weeks ago. M-Sport with paddle shift and widescreen.

478886.JPG

478887.JPG

BimmerCode is superb isn't it? I also have BimmerLink which is very handy for viewing/clearing codes, requesting and monitoring DPF regens etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Handy thing to use on a new car alright. Biggest thing for me was setting the start/stop to remember what setting it is in rather than defaulting to on each journey.

Small gimmicky stuff then I put on too then was digital speedo, door LEDs on in reverse, folding mirrors on lock. The car came with folding mirrors on lock so presume previous owner coded it. It was useful for me to disable this in winter with frost etc and have it back on now. Also enabled closing the boot from the button in the cabin, factory default is to only open. Probably health and safety reason for that.

Coding the stop/start to permanently off was a big thing for me although my routine when getting into the car is belt, start, sport mode. It was the same only with stop/start off after sport mode even though sport mode disables it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

You drive in sport mode all the time? I never touch that mode.
    Occasionally, and maybe before an overtake I'll knock the gear stick to the left to put the box in sport.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    You drive in sport mode all the time? I never touch that mode.
    Occasionally, and maybe before an overtake I'll knock the gear stick to the left to put the box in sport.

Yep, always sport mode with the gearbox in sport also. I might use comfort on a bad road and ECOPro on the motorway but apart from that it's always sport.

Yep, always sport mode with the gearbox in sport also. I might use comfort on a bad road and ECOPro on the motorway but apart from that it's always sport.

Sport mode all the way. Did you code in the M Sport animation ? Looks very nice indeed. Also, rather than disable stop/start, I just have It defaulting to off at startup. Must look into the bimmerlink app. He should really give purchasers a discount for getting both!

• Advertisement

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Handy thing to use on a new car alright. Biggest thing for me was setting the start/stop to remember what setting it is in rather than defaulting to on each journey.

Small gimmicky stuff then I put on too then was digital speedo, door LEDs on in reverse, folding mirrors on lock. The car came with folding mirrors on lock so presume previous owner coded it. It was useful for me to disable this in winter with frost etc and have it back on now. Also enabled closing the boot from the button in the cabin, factory default is to only open. Probably health and safety reason for that.

Sounds like you got a fully loaded motor. It has the power close on the boot also? Nice 👍

Advertisement