Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ron Haslam race school

• 11-04-2019 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

How's it going lads?

I'm booked in to the Ron Haslam race school for a day and was just wondering has anyone here done one? Just looking for a bit of info on what to expect etc. I'm doing the Premier session.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

sonic85 wrote: »
    How's it going lads?

I'm booked in to the Ron Haslam race school for a day and was just wondering has anyone here done one? Just looking for a bit of info on what to expect etc. I'm doing the Premier session.

Thanks!

Expect to have a great day...brother in law did it...said it was excellent...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

How's it going lads?

Thanks!

I've brought my (now near 16-yr old) son to it for each of the last two years.

Brilliant.

The instructors (capabilities) are from another planet tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I've brought my (now near 16-yr old) son to it for each of the last two years.

Brilliant.

The instructors (capabilities) are from another planet tbh.

Would yo say you'd need a "Rocket" to get there.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭sonic85

Thanks for the replies lads. Do I need to bring anything with me? I'm thinking of bringing the lid gloves and boots just so I'll be a bit more comfortable.

They have a photographer there - would it be worth getting a few photos? If so how much roughly does it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You're not actually racing, so it'll depend on the rules of the track involved - but they may insist your lid has an ACU gold star on it to be allowed wear it on track

It's more of a tax thing to fund the ACU really, all lids sold in the EU are just as good but only the UK market ones pay the tax.

ACU = Auto Cycle Union = organising body for motorcyle sport in the UK Britain

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies lads. Do I need to bring anything with me? I'm thinking of bringing the lid gloves and boots just so I'll be a bit more comfortable.

They have a photographer there - would it be worth getting a few photos? If so how much roughly does it cost?

You don't need to bring anything - your own helmet is ok, but they'll inspect it.

Well, seeing as it's my annual treat to my lad, I go for the pics - £25 and worth it imho. They give you a goody bag which has vouchers in it as well iirc.

The other thing bringing your own helmet does is make you identifiable in the pics :). Last year I went one better: as all the leather were the same, and the bikes, can be hard to spot your guy out there: so I gave him an armband. Then at least I knew I was cheering on the right person when they went by !!

Next time : 2 armbands, maybe hi-viz, to make it even more obvious.

Jeez, the kids grow like mushrooms these days - on a 125 2017, on a 300 in 2018:

477627.png

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

pics from the pit lane :

477628.png

477629.png

And the instructors.

You think you're quick. You might even know you're quick.

But when you can't catch them on a track-prepped CBR, and they're on a VFR - with road legal gear, and watching you in their mirrors - you know you've Stuff to Learn.........

477630.png

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

If they still do it, get a spin on the back of Haslams bike. I done it years ago, it has to be experienced to believe how good a rider he is.

Some great pics there galwaytt! I'm not worried about speed to be honest I'm dog slow and that won't change after a half day! I'm hoping to get a few tips from them about getting a bit smoother and that might allow me to go quicker. I'm mostly doing it for the craic - the brother is coming with me so we'll have a bit of a laugh if nothing else!

I'm doing the Premier which is on the Cbr650 - I'm wondering if I should've done it on the Cbr300 first. I'm not worried about the engine size - I ride a Street Triple normally but I'm kind of worried ill be holding up others on track

the 300 lesson gets little track time tbh - for some proper laps you need the 600, but you can just state you're a novice. You won't be the first.

Tbh, i do wish they'd do more track time with the smaller bikes, it's over way too quick otherwise.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Do I need to bring anything with me? I'm thinking of bringing the lid gloves and boots just so I'll be a bit more comfortable.

From the FAQ on the website
    Do I need to bring anything with me - kit, licence?
    It's up to you regarding your kit, as long as your helmet is gold stamped and your leathers are either one piece or two-piece zip together - it will be checked by qualified staff before you enter the circuit.

You do not need to provide your licence when signing on.

Echoes675 wrote: »
    From the FAQ on the website

Yeah I seen that - I didn't need to bring gear with me but said I'd try bring some just to be more comfortable.

Just after finishing it anyway and it was absolutely brilliant! Was a bit nervous this morning but neednt have been because everybody involved was amazing. The instructors especially were top notch and sound out! Big thumbs up from me and if anybody is half thinking about going - go for it! I'll definitely be back at some stage

Great...any pic..?

Great...any pic..?

No pics - I have a few of just myself but they're less than impressive! Still buzzing after it!

No pics - I have a few of just myself but they're less than impressive! Still buzzing after it!

did you not tick the box for the track photographer ?

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    did you not tick the box for the track photographer ?

There was no box - you do the track day then at the very end if you want a few pictures you go to the desk and they download them to your phone. I bought some but they're not great or anything - no knee down! :D

Advertisement