Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Instrumentation college course for non-electrician

• 19-04-2019 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm currently thinking about doing a Level 7 instrumentation course part time over two years in IT Blanchardtown. I have already completed a level 6 in the same subject.

Before I make any decisions I want to be certain it is the right course for me to do. First of all I am not a qualified electrician, will this leave me at a big disadvantages when applying for instrumentation technician jobs when I complete the course?

I have a City and Guilds Electrical diploma and hands on apprenticeship experience in mechanical & lifting equipment but I am not a time served electrician.

Any advice from people with knowledge in instrumentation maintenance or commisioning preferably in power generation, oil & gas, pharmaceutical, manufacturing industries. Or anyone who has done the course in IT Blanchardtown would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'm currently thinking about doing a Level 7 instrumentation course part time over two years in IT Blanchardtown. I have already completed a level 6 in the same subject.

You already have sufficient qualifications. Most instrument technicians don’t have qualifications beyond level 6. Why not just try and get a job with what you have? There are plenty of opportunities. All will provide on the job training.
    First of all I am not a qualified electrician, will this leave me at a big disadvantages when applying for instrumentation technician jobs when I complete the course?

Most instrument technicians are not qualified electricians. It is a different trade. A few have the combined E & I apprenticeship (which is great), but not that many. As you have already completed an apprenticeship and have a level 6 in instrumentation I can’t see why you would want to do a level 7 unless you wanted to get off your tools which does not seem to be the case.
    Any advice from people with knowledge in instrumentation maintenance or commisioning preferably in power generation, oil & gas, pharmaceutical, manufacturing industries.

All of the above, that’s me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A good area for instrument technicians that plan to work in oil / gas or pharmaceutical industries to focus on is Atex. Completing recognised Compex training in this area would dramatically increase employment prospects as well as being a good tool when negotiating wages.

That is my 2c worth.

Advertisement