Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Child's Play - Reboot.

• 08-02-2019 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭

No Brad Dourif no Chucky.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This teaser released earlier in the week combined with the above trailer seems to imply the corporation will be a bad guy in a way.

Could they go the super advanced toy gone rogue route?

Speaking of Brad Dourif, still waiting on more info about the tv series.
    And just reading on Wikipedia that Don Mancini didn't want this remake

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think they've found a worthy replacement. Anyone who knows Mark Hamills voice work in cartoons will know he is going to do well here.

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1112163481803849728?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Lots of meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Lots of meh.

Yeah, it looks like an AI and IoT gone wrong thriller... with Chucky pulling the strings. It's far less effective than a straight-up possessed killer doll horror/slasher. This feels much more like what a Lawnmower Man remake would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Solid cast but looks like muck!

Chucky looks terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

My knives never make that metal sound when I pick them up like they do in horror movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Is Chucky fully cgi?? What were they thinking.. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Damnit, that Aubrey Plaza is now playing a mum makes me feel old.

• Advertisement

Surprisingly good. The only thing in common with the original was Chucky, Andy and Karen. Other than that, it was its own story.

Some of the kills were creative and gory. The last 30 minutes were good fun - a bit of a
    Gremlins/Stranger Things
    mashup. Mark Hamill did a great job (although I could have done without the singing). :o

Negatives - Not sure I liked the look of the new Chucky. Part of the fun of the original was that it was an inert doll (with catchphrases) and there was a great build-up to the reveal. In this one, Chucky was walking and talking from the start, so we were robbed of that build-up. And in the last 10 minutes, what happened to
    all the other sentient dolls that woke up
    ?

Still a good horror movie though, worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Garbage, quick cash cow. The story of how the doll turns into chucky was laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought it was surprisingly fun, some decent set pieces and a neat little twist with the tech etc, the kid was good as was Plaza, doubt there will be more of them as it didn't exactly do big money, interested to see what the tv series which don Mancini is doing will be like.
    Some of the acting was poor though, the new bf especially was awful.
    6.5/10

If it wasn't called Child's Play it would be a better film. The comparisons hurt it.
    On its own it's a decent tech gone mad movie.

It did feel very forced in parts, like how Chucky got his name and how he turned bad.
    The stabbing and all was explained from the violent films and being for Tupac but I don't think he had seen any of that when strangling the cat

And for a few days after all that was in my head was
    "You are my buddy until the end"

On another note, why would they want such a creepy doll?
    That bear one was terrifying! Certainly no Teddy Ruxpin

Advertisement