Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Tate move point to you guys drafting a QB or trading for Rosen? Don't see why else you'd do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭human 19

A few hours after I start following Markus Golden on twitter, on the off chance of some hints of the possibility... (no hints were given , by the way)

NY Giants to sign Markus Golden, former Cardinals linebacker

https://eu.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/giants/2019/03/14/nfl-free-agency-ny-giants-sign-markus-golden/3168429002/

This was hinted due to the connection with Bettcher. Remains to be seen how close he can get to his 2016 form, after his injuries.

I have to say, I am really starting to get excited now. Still a lot of top draft picks in the bag and what look like very good choices coming into the team. Just need a franchise QB now, and maybe the last few years can be forgotten about, and look to the future

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I may be wrong, as it's definitely early days in the process, but I don't think this franchise is as rudderless as some are making out.

I believe that this time next year we'll be absolutely in a position to compete. Either we'll have the QB (Haskins or Rosen), or we'll have our defensive pieces in order through the draft and will grab one next year.

Odell was one the most exciting players ever to watch in Big Blue, and it hurts, but I understand it. Barkley will continue to bring that spark and joy and I think the development of the likes of BJ Hill, Hernandez and Carter coupled with the additions of Zeitler and Golden will see us in an alright position.

This team lost its stead a long time ago and unfortunately it takes some drastic moves to get it back on track and stop us floundering in the average or worse territories for years.

100m cap space and some promising pieces next year will have us all very optimistic, I'd almost guarantee it.

Knex. wrote: »
    I may be wrong, as it's definitely early days in the process, but I don't think this franchise is as rudderless as some are making out.

I believe that this time next year we'll be absolutely in a position to compete. Either we'll have the QB (Haskins or Rosen), or we'll have our defensive pieces in order through the draft and will grab one next year.

Odell was one the most exciting players ever to watch in Big Blue, and it hurts, but I understand it. Barkley will continue to bring that spark and joy and I think the development of the likes of BJ Hill, Hernandez and Carter coupled with the additions of Zeitler and Golden will see us in an alright position.

This team lost its stead a long time ago and unfortunately it takes some drastic moves to get it back on track and stop us floundering in the average or worse territories for years.

100m cap space and some promising pieces next year will have us all very optimistic, I'd almost guarantee it.

Regarding Odell, I am happy for him that he will be in front of Mayfield,and they will be able to let him out for a gallop, as opposed to being in front of Eli for the next year (or 2?) with his checkdowns.

For next season, I dont expect anythig like a superbowl run.. I just want to be able to enjoy watching them play, as opposed to giving up on the torture after 5 or 6 games.

Ryan Tannehill has gone to the Titans, so I assume the Dolphins have secured Rosen, as he was talking with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭boccy23

Sign of the times, we have 11 1PM start times.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭tgdaly

boccy23 wrote: »
    Sign of the times, we have 11 1PM start times.

On the plus side, at least I'll be able to see more of the games live! But yeah, says a lot about what the NFL thinks of our team at the moment

+1 on what tgdaly said

Suits me better but that shows that it will prob be a long season

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    +1 on what tgdaly said

Suits me better but that shows that it will prob be a long season

Funnily enough I always have more time to sit and watch the 4:25PM games. And there are less fantasy distractions in this window. But at least we have very few late late games.

• Advertisement

Best schedule we've had in a long, long time in all honesty. Shame we have such glaring roster issues and won't be able to capitalise.

Only one team coming off their bye, Dallas in week 9, and not at all demanding in terms of coast to coast travel etc.

Well Giants fans

Potentially huge night upcoming

Time for Gettleman to earn his money

The closer it is to the draft the more I'm convinced that we are not going QB at 6

I really hope we can get two really good players tonight to build around for the next few years

I'm humming and hawing bout staying up for the #6 pick but I def won't be around to see #17

*if we stay where we are trade wise*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So what are we thinking for tonight??

Defence at 6

Oline at 17

is my predictions

Haskins won't be around by 17 as he won't get past Bronocos, Bengals, Dolphins and Redskins

So I was wrong

Huge gamble on Jones at 6

Haskins goes to Redskins

Lawrence NT at 17

Traded back into 1st round for Baker at 30

Gettleman better be right about these guys

Currently we don't pick again until very late in 3rd round

Daniel Jones? Who dat?

Safe to say that pick has not gone down well with majority of pundits and fans

Seems like a huge reach

Safe to say that pick has not gone down well with majority of pundits and fans

Seems like a huge reach

They must think he has some serious talent to develop, I'd only follow college football loosely but I'd look at mock drafts and stuff and I'd never heard his name mentioned before. I mean his measurables look good and he did have a decent year in college last year by the looks of it reading just now he was MVP of the bowl game Duke played in and the Senior Bowl. Poor enough sophomore season before that so I'm not sure what to think

Giants shock NFL draft by going Daniel Jones with No. 6 pick

https://nypost.com/2019/04/25/giants-shock-nfl-draft-by-going-daniel-jones-with-no-6-pick/

At the moment we have traded OBJ for Dexter Lawrence (17), Jabrill Peppers and 95

Baker (30) cost us second-round pick (No. 37 overall), fourth-round pick (No. 132 overall) and a fifth-round pick (No. 142 overall)

Picks left as it stands

No. 95 overall (Round 3)
    No. 108 overall (Round 4)
    No. 143 overall (Round 5)
    No. 171 overall (Round 5)
    No. 180 overall (Round 6)
    No. 232 overall (Round 7)
    No. 245 overall (Round 7)

Whatever about picking Jones, picking him at 6 is insane.

Following up with Lawrence, essentially a 2 down player at 17 is also tough to be happy about.

Trade up for Baker I'm delighted about, but overall that first round has left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Advertisement

Yeah esp with Allen there too

Gettleman has said he couldn't take the chance he would have been there at 17

Jones is very very polarizing prospect

Some reckon he isn't even a 4th rounder and we got him for 6

Our GM though

“He’s just perfect for us,” Gettleman said.

“I walked out there and saw a professional quarterback," Gettleman said of Jones. "After his three series at the Senior Bowl, that was a professional quarterback that I watched.”

If Jones is that good why in hell are we paying Eli to be our starter this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

So we traded snacks Harrison and then OBJ to replace Harrison. I genuinely fear for what gettleman has done and is doing to the roster

Plus we have no pass rushers anymore

This is a scary podcast

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/4/26/18517844/2019-nfl-draft-podcast-dan-and-chris-react-ny-giants-first-round-selections

The more the day is wearing on the more I'm wondering what Gettleman and Co were smoking with the Jones picks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I would have been satisfied to see us Haskins picked at 6, seeing him go to Skins at 15 and us taking Jones at 6 is not any Giants fan could have expected and if doesn't work out for us and works out for the Skins it will be a disaster

I'm not going into meltdown over it, also many teams apparently had Jones rated higher than Haskins, I really do hope if you pick Jones at 6 over Haskins when Jones could have likely ended up at 17 that your scouting department have to be totally convinced that Jones is the man to become our Franchise QB

I don't expect to see Jones throw much in 2019 so we will know where last night will go in 2 years time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

This is a scary podcast

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/4/26/18517844/2019-nfl-draft-podcast-dan-and-chris-react-ny-giants-first-round-selections

The more the day is wearing on the more I'm wondering what Gettleman and Co were smoking with the Jones picks

I think you're getting too caught up in the draft frenzy. Let's wait and see how they play before we condemn DG without a down being played.

Jones is an interesting one because there was no hype about him until his senior year but everyone is getting caught up in value. The reality is that if you think you have a guy that can be the franchise QB then you take him with your first pick. You're not going to risk waiting.

Obviously Gettleman's career with the Giants now will be defined by this pick.

Fair enough

Yes we can wait and see and the draft is not an exact science

Time will tell on DG

I do really hope he works out

However I remain skeptical

Gettleman made the call. Like you said Gettleman's career with the Giants now will be defined by this pick.

So here's the full draft class

6.QB Daniel Jones
    17.DT Dexter Lawrence
    30, 132, 142 CB DeAndre Baker
    3rd round Supplemental CB, Same Beal
    95 EDGE Oshane Ximines
    108 CB Julian Love
    143 LB, Ryan Connelly
    171 WR Darius Slayton
    180 CB Corey Ballentine
    232 OT George Asafo-Adjei
    245 DT Chris Slayton

How do we think we did bar the Jones pick?

So here's the full draft class

6.QB Daniel Jones
    17.DT Dexter Lawrence
    30, 132, 142 CB DeAndre Baker
    3rd round Supplemental CB, Same Beal
    95 EDGE Oshane Ximines
    108 CB Julian Love
    143 LB, Ryan Connelly
    171 WR Darius Slayton
    180 CB Corey Ballentine
    232 OT George Asafo-Adjei
    245 DT Chris Slayton

How do we think we did bar the Jones pick?

Overall, it was extreme on the Defensive side. Shows how Gettleman thinks of his current roster on that side of the ball.

With the Jones pick, it is very hard to evaluate the draft. Should he have taken Allen at 6 and took the chances that we could get Jones later. But that's all conjecture now and we have to live with it.

I personally like the Jones pick. I would have been devastated to have done anything with Rosen as the QB I saw last year in Arizona was not one I wished to give anything up for.

Not sold on the Lawrence pick after giving up on Snacks.

I liked the CB picks, especially the Love pick. Saw him a good bit playing for the Irish last season and I think he can start week 1. We also have Sam Beal to come in to the secondary, so there is definite hope here.

Overall I liked the draft and think we have upgraded the D overall.

The success of this draft and indeed Gettleman's and Shurmur's tenure now rests on Daniel Jones's shoulders.

• Advertisement

I'm quite happy with that. Also like how they stayed true to their board when value in positions such as tackle wasn't there.

Lot of young players to come in and help change the energy and character of the squad. It's a ridiculous turnover from 2017, but I do like the direction we are heading in.

However, if Jones doesn't pan out it will be all for nothing, but time will tell.

Advertisement