Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the importance of stretching?

• 06-04-2019 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭

i happened to catch this video, the basic point being that there is no scientific evidence that stretching reduces injuries, only useful if trying to correct an imbalance, mobility training being a different thing. Is this a consensus opinion? any "yes but.."it depends?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A couple of good videos by Quinn Henoch on why stretching often isn't the answer and another about mobility myths.

From memory, the thrust is that 'tightness' is often more neurological.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

silverharp wrote: »
    i happened to catch this video, the basic point being that there is no scientific evidence that stretching reduces injuries, only useful if trying to correct an imbalance, mobility training being a different thing. Is this a consensus opinion? any "yes but.."it depends?

Doctor Whatever, a chiropractor, look at all my certificates on the wall, I'm being controversial so that I can get YouTube hits.

This guy is a chiropractor, a dangerous, hocus-pocus line of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Doctor Whatever, a chiropractor, look at all my certificates on the wall, I'm being controversial so that I can get YouTube hits.

This guy is a chiropractor, a dangerous, hocus-pocus line of work.

its good to distrust everything, but if you google the idea there seem to be a lot on it. if studies cant find any benefits though , thats factual and not based on his personal musings.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

A couple of good videos by Quinn Henoch on why stretching often isn't the answer and another about mobility myths.

From memory, the thrust is that 'tightness' is often more neurological.

i liked this video, main point seemed to be controlled eccentric loading more useful than static stretching

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

People talk about the importance of stretching in the same way people talk about drinking ten glasses of water or how you'll 'catch a cold' if you go out in bad weather. Which is to say that it's accepted as common wisdom and perpetuated endlessly despite not being based on anything.

I read years ago about a study done with military recruits: one group would do a stretching programme before workouts, the other group did not, and they had identical injury rates. I've been dubious about the stretching doctrine ever since.

"Warming down" is another one. I hear people talking about needing to warm down after exercise. Just stop exercising, Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Zillah wrote: »
    People talk about the importance of stretching in the same way people talk about drinking ten glasses of water or how you'll 'catch a cold' if you go out in bad weather. Which is to say that it's accepted as common wisdom and perpetuated endlessly despite not being based on anything.

I read years ago about a study done with military recruits: one group would do a stretching programme before workouts, the other group did not, and they had identical injury rates. I've been dubious about the stretching doctrine ever since.

"Warming down" is another one. I hear people talking about needing to warm down after exercise. Just stop exercising, Jesus.

Professional athletes with multi million pound state of the art facilities and coach's all stretch and warm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

silverharp wrote: »
    its good to distrust everything, but if you google the idea there seem to be a lot on it. if studies cant find any benefits though , thats factual and not based on his personal musings.

Every week “studies” find something and the next week other “studies” find the opposite. Just throwing the word science in doesn’t make anything factual.
    How many times have we heard in the little light news section at the end of the main news, how scientists have found chocolate can help weight loss, wine helps you live longer, coffee cures cancer etc

shutup wrote: »
    Every week “studies” find something and the next week other “studies” find the opposite. Just throwing the word science in doesn’t make anything factual.
    How many times have we heard in the little light news section at the end of the main news, how scientists have found chocolate can help weight loss, wine helps you live longer, coffee cures cancer etc

too many variables , and next to zero proper clinical studies when it comes to nutrition so no argument there. i'd imagine its at least possible for activity studies to be designed and run reasonably well even if some individual studies are flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Every professional sports team or man/woman stretch before and after competition.

So they are all wrong are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The thread title is misleading - the OP is more specific about injury prevention as opposed to preparation for performance, which is why athletes stretch, mostly dynamic stretching, before an event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Saying something like "stretching is not effective" is like saying "working out" is not effective. There are countless methods of stretching with numerous variables, end goals and levels of affects.

The level of scientific study that has been put into stretching and mobility is a tiny fraction of what has been put into other fields such as cardio and strength training. It is also a very difficult field to study accurately as it is not as measurable and linear as weight added to a bar. While you can measure increased range the methods, persons response and many other variables make it very difficult to study as well as most people not being familiar with various methods.

The types and levels of stretching an individual requires is entirely dependent on what their need is eg a powerlifter and a gymnast are going to require very different levels of what they need.

As was mentioned early tightness and flexibility is an entirely neurological response you can youtube elderly hip surgery and see doctors placing peoples legs behind their heads who are 70+ and are scarcely mobile enough to touch their knees.

The issue is that most people have no idea what they are doing in relation to flexibility / mobility training and what the purpose and end goal of it is. Lets say you take the classic toe touch there are lots of ways to go about doing it from classic standing passive stretching for 60 seconds to, PNF (contract relax), jefferson curls or even using barbell goodmornings to improve hamstring mobility. Even if you are simply bending forward to touch your toes your still placing two thirds of your body weight out in front to stretch your hamstrings. The thing is that this is end range strength its the ability to use your full range of motion.

So yes unfounded click bait title. While some methods of stretching are not effective for some people or are less effective than others then yes I would agree but to make a blanket statement like that is very misleading. how would a dancer or gymnast achieve their splits without some level of stretching?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

My totally unqualified two cents is that is it not imperative to stretch before exercising to prevent injury. Stretching though, is its own thing and hugely beneficial for flexibility, general well being etc.

I think there was definitely a myth years ago that if you didn't stretch first, you'd definitely pull a hamstring or something. We wouldn't have made it to where we are today if that was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Professional athletes with multi million pound state of the art facilities and coach's all stretch and warm down.

Some of them were wearing magic hologram badges to balance their auras too, so I wouldn't be too quick to conflate athletic culture with verifiable fact. Athletes are notorious for ritualisation. It's as much a mental process as physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The first question I'd as k is why do they do those things. I'd highly doubt many of the top coaches/facilities believe it's for injury prevention in the current session.

The video is clickbait though. Stretching doesn't appear to prevent short term injury prevention. Ok, lets say that's true.
    There are still other reasons to stretch...
    ...and some of those reasons will contribute to injury prevention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

When i was 21 and training occasionally stretching didnt do much.

Now im older, train 1.5 hrs 5 days a week stretching makes a huge difference in terms of mobility and just warming up.
    As for injury prevention im sure running with tight hammies is a bad idea

Advertisement