Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018/2019 Off-Season Thread

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Nice payday for Harper. Lack of an opt out is odd. I wonder are the Philies looking down the road to the DH being introduced into the NL. Maybe slot Harper in there, if and when he starts to decline.

At least that saga has been finally put to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Great day if your a Philly fan. Be amusing to watch if Harper gets off to a slow start, not the most pleasant and supportive fan base out there.
    Crazy contract, huge money for a long time and players do get hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Igotadose wrote: »
    Great day if your a Philly fan. Be amusing to watch if Harper gets off to a slow start, not the most pleasant and supportive fan base out there.
    Crazy contract, huge money for a long time and players do get hurt.

Not crazy money at all considering the calibre of player the length of time and the value for money.

As a Nationals fan I have to say I'm gutted that he's gone to Philly on that little. I think it's clear he wants to win, gives Philly a clear opportunity to have a run at Trout as well in 2020.

Wish him all the best and think he'll absolutely mash the ball in a park that suits him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The Nats offer included $100m in deferred money with payments lasting until Harper was 60.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1726372

So the Phillies sign Bryce Harper and the Mets sign Carlos Gomez. Sigh......

• Advertisement

gives Philly a clear opportunity to have a run at Trout as well in 2020.

Hopefully the Trout sweepstakes won't be as long and as drawn out as the Harper/Machado ones.

First day nerves for Bryce. "We want to bring a title back to DC"

https://deadspin.com/bryce-harper-at-his-phillies-press-conference-we-want-1833012464

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Yeah shame to see Harper go alright. Not the biggest baseball fan but love going to see the Nats here as the stadium is very fan friendly and accessible. On saturday they had an "exclusive Select-A-Seat Event at Nationals Park" which was great for those of us who are stadia fans!

Got to go onto the pitch, dugouts and clubhouse after a sales event fueled by hot dogs and "sodas":

IMG-4955.jpg

IMG-4956.jpg

IMG-4961.jpg

IMG-4963.jpg

IMG-4964.jpg

IMG-4965.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Yeah shame to see Harper go alright. Not the biggest baseball fan but love going to see the Nats here as the stadium is very fan friendly and accessible. On saturday they had an "exclusive Select-A-Seat Event at Nationals Park" which was great for those of us who are stadia fans!

Got to go onto the pitch, dugouts and clubhouse after a sales event fueled by hot dogs and "sodas":

IMG-4955.jpg

IMG-4956.jpg

IMG-4961.jpg

IMG-4963.jpg

IMG-4964.jpg

IMG-4965.jpg

Thats a really cool experience, been at the stadium a good few times over the last ten years but never made it to the dressing room area. Thanks for sharing!

Bryce Harper took a nasty shot to the ankle today. Being sent for x-ray.

• Advertisement

A few of the new rules are interesting. I like the expanded rosters and everyone having 28 in September as opposed to the free for all it is now and I don't like the 10 day DL so going back to 15 makes senses. The 3 batter minimum will be weird but I suppose we'll get used to it and I'm sure the teams will adapt pretty quickly.

For the day that was in it yesterday, MLB.com had a nice little story about a couple of players with Irish roots in the Mets organisation.

https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/st-patrick-s-day-irish-eyes-on-baseball

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Deadmou5e

For the day that was in it yesterday, MLB.com had a nice little story about a couple of players with Irish roots in the Mets organisation.

https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/st-patrick-s-day-irish-eyes-on-baseball

I enjoyed that, thanks.

Angels close to agreeing 12 year extension for $430m with Trout. Take that Boras!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

surprised at that I thought he would join Harper in philly in a few seasons .

Thread for the regular season as it kicks off tomorrow for Seattle and Oakland.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109722265#post109722265

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

surprised at that I thought he would join Harper in philly in a few seasons .

Didn't see that coming. Thought he would test the waters of Free Agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭boccy23

Bregman is being reported now as having done a 6 year $100M deal as well. If that's true, that's a great deal for the Astros.

Money now for Bregman who was 2 years from FA.

Best day of the year. Start of the 2019 Baseball season. On the spring equinox to boot.

(with another week of spring training to go.)

• Advertisement

5 years, $137.5m for DeGrom (maybe it was the .5 that was causing the delay?)

5 years, $137.5m for DeGrom (maybe it was the .5 that was causing the delay?)

Glad it's done. Syndegaard in my view has to prove himself again this year before commanding such $$. Mets are actually looking good on paper for once, intriguing to see 2 rookie 1B make the team who are kind of clones of each other except lefty/righty batting.

Two more days to go before the Mets & Gnats tee it up. Can't wait, hasn't been any interesting NYC sports since, well, like, a long time. Unless you follow the Nets. Oh, and that other baseball team that plays there.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Glad it's done. Syndegaard in my view has to prove himself again this year before commanding such $$. Mets are actually looking good on paper for once, intriguing to see 2 rookie 1B make the team who are kind of clones of each other except lefty/righty batting.

Two more days to go before the Mets & Gnats tee it up. Can't wait, hasn't been any interesting NYC sports since, well, like, a long time. Unless you follow the Nets. Oh, and that other baseball team that plays there.

I still the Mets are going to lose out because of their depth. Their 1-4 starters and 1-5/6 in the bullpen are up there with the best but you don’t get through a season with only using your 5 opening day starters and 7 relievers. And from what I’ve watched this Spring, the next pitchers in line are a big drop off.

Likewise in the outfield, after Nimmo and Conforto (and McNeill if you count him as an outfielder), the drop off is significant. So when (and it will be when) someone goes down, I can’t se how they make up the production.

Advertisement