Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All things Mavic Air

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

delly wrote: »
    Hey Peppa Cig, how are you getting on, any videos for us to get excited about?
    A handy app below that you might be interested in, gives an indication of weather for drone flying, as well as other restrictions.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uavforecast&hl=fr

Had to send it back. Kept losing connection with remote at close range :eek:

I suspect someone may have switched remote in this amazon warehouse deal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Ah no, sorry to hear that. I hope it hasn't put you off the drone experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

A handy app below that you might be interested in, gives an indication of weather for drone flying, as well as other restrictions.

Great app that, use it for work myself and very customizable.

Only thing I would say is it sometimes overestimates wind speed when compared to Met Eireann, Accuweather and others, but that's nit picking really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hey so got bitten by the drone bug over christmas when i bought myself a tello, now im already looking at a mavic air to pick up. I plan to practice a bit more with the tello to get the hang of it and a friend has an air id like to test fly first.

Beyond the black Friday sales last year is there likely to be a drop in price anytime soon that i should wait for? Looking specifically at the fly more combo bundle which is around 900-950 cheapest i can find.

Quick question on that app ive seen 2-3 different maps of ireland all with differing restricted airspace info. That one for instance seems to lack some large areas specifically around Dublin that are shown here https://www.flyryte.com/airspace .

Similarly that app seems to then have numerous small airports that don't exist on the above map i linked.

Then looking at https://app.airmap.io/ it seems to display a large swathe of the middle of the country as completely off limits.

Just trying to get an idea of where i should and shouldn't plan on flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

VinLieger wrote: »
    Hey so got bitten by the drone bug over christmas when i bought myself a tello, now im already looking at a mavic air to pick up. I plan to practice a bit more with the tello to get the hang of it and a friend has an air id like to test fly first.

Beyond the black Friday sales last year is there likely to be a drop in price anytime soon that i should wait for? Looking specifically at the fly more combo bundle which is around 900-950 cheapest i can find.

Quick question on that app ive seen 2-3 different maps of ireland all with differing restricted airspace info. That one for instance seems to lack some large areas specifically around Dublin that are shown here https://www.flyryte.com/airspace .

Similarly that app seems to then have numerous small airports that don't exist on the above map i linked.

Then looking at https://app.airmap.io/ it seems to display a large swathe of the middle of the country as completely off limits.

Just trying to get an idea of where i should and shouldn't plan on flying.

Just my own opinion here V, but if you got 900+ budget, you should really have a look at the mavic pro second hand market.

I recently sold a fly more combo pack with the drone having only had 12 hrs flying time on it for 850.

There was lots of similarly priced on done deal at the same time.

• Advertisement

Just my own opinion here V, but if you got 900+ budget, you should really have a look at the mavic pro second hand market.

I recently sold a fly more combo pack with the drone having only had 12 hrs flying time on it for 850.

There was lots of similarly priced on done deal at the same time.

Thanks for the tip, ive looked at them both and theres a few options on the air that the pro doesnt have that i think i prefer like the directional sensors in the rear, the follow options and its more compact size

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Thanks for the tip, ive looked at them both and theres a few options on the air that the pro doesnt have that i think i prefer like the directional sensors in the rear, the follow options and its more compact size

No problem, your call obviously, but apart from the directional rear sensors (I'm not sure how less compact the air is over the mavic, but the pro is extremely compact tbh) you will get considerable more range with the pro, and it also has the follow mode (if it's the same one I'm thinking of)

In saying that , and to be completely fair, 800+ is a lot of cash to be dropping on something that almost certainly won't have a warranty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

I went for the air the range is more than enough, its compact design is ideal, and the footage is amazing, get the fly more pack and ull have more than enough flight time..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Quick flight earlier, perfect day for droning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

hey all,

Ok so I started off thinking about potentially buying the Parrot Anafi then the Hubsan and to be honest the more and more I didn’t look at DJI products the more people told me that DJI are the way to go. I hate that kinda fanboyism like apple products so I was more adamant about going the other product direction, *however* the more and more I look at the Mavic Air the more im leaning this way. Fly More combo is coming in about 1049e but I see that people selling these on adverts for around 800-900 euro which is better value but I am apprehensive to buy second hand. Like they might be people who crashed them or just someone who splurged on it and then it got put in a press.

What should I be looking out for from adverts.ie sellers etc. Is there something I can look for off the app for flight time or possible problems with the drone that can’t be faked?

Couple things that are Mavic Air specific, I have picked these up from the countless reviews I have watched.

Noise: People saying it’s the props are louder side of mildly annoying. Whats it like in real life? Do people hear it and get bothered by it when out and about flying? Has anyone used different props that reduce noise?

GPS restrictions: I live near an airport and I know where are the no fly spots are and will abide by that but the difference in the EU and the FCC flying regulations ? What does it mean for me unboxing and trying to fly it in Dublin…

Flight time, in typical irish weather , what are we looking at?

Flight ability in typical irish weather, winds etc. , I know you have to make a call but bar a nice summers calm day, can you put these drones up in a normal windy day?

If I operate off an android phone is there any spec phone that is requirement? As in not off the dji official site, as in “Oh I bought a mavic air and never realised my Oneplus 3T phone wasn’t enough to run the DJI go software…”

Im a photographer enthusiast so do spend a few bob on camera / lenses and equipment, I just don’t have to have complete buyers remorse after spending this wedge and it for it to be a bit MEH where I could have bought a L series lens …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

BKWDR -> they are not that noisy - 80m or so up and you probably wouldnt notice it. 1050 sounds a bit expensive for a mavic air - check out gearbest, banggood, amazon etc..
    If you are into Lens’ in a big way maybe consider also the hasselblad mavic pro 2 or the zoom- more expensive but you might get away with just the one battery for that one. I think dji anounced something this week about getting more precise boundaries around airports so might want to read up on that also.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    1050 sounds a bit expensive for a mavic air - check out gearbest, banggood, amazon etc..

1050 is about right for the fly more combo from what ive seen

VinLieger wrote:
    1050 is about right for the fly more combo from what ive seen

No, it was 949e in Harvey Norman in Jan and there was 899e offers over Christmas. I would aim to pay around 850 at this stage.

tedpan wrote: »
    No, it was 949e in Harvey Norman in Jan and there was 899e offers over Christmas. I would aim to pay around 850 at this stage.

While that is true ive been looking for it at lower than 950 since christmas and haven't spotted it once beyond what look like very unreliable sites.
    The only place you will see it lower than 1050 is when its on sale prices.
    Best price on Amazon right now is 960 and it hasn't been that low in weeks.

I meant it's over a year old, it's value has definitely been reduced since the Mavic 2s were released, I love the air, but it's not worth over 850e.

It's 999e in Currys if you wanted to buy locally..

I meant it's over a year old, it's value has definitely been reduced since the Mavic 2s were released, I love the air, but it's not worth over 850e.

It's 999e in Currys if you wanted to buy locally..

I agree, id pay about 900 for it but nobody has it for that who id happy buying it from.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've retired my Parrot Disco drone and been looking at the anafi and mavic air, but the price went down to £460 today on Amazon for the anafi and that sealed the deal. While the air is a great piece of kit, the price is just to high imho.

One thing to consider on whatever you do decide, is the Amazon warehouse. The products can be hit or miss in terms quality, but you can send it back no questions asked within 30 days. Think of it as a trial before you buy so to speak.

Just got a notification about Mavic air being reduced to 860 on a finnish site

https://www.hobbylinna.fi/tuote/dji-mavic-air-fly-more-combo-onyx-black/B480406/?&language=en&valid_country=IE

Still checking out the site before buying it myself but this is the best price its been in months

Got a flight in this morning, just before the rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

excellent video!
    Been 4 months since I last flew :( even upgraded my PC so actually stand a chance to edit the 1080 footage.

• Advertisement

jogdish wrote:
    excellent video! Been 4 months since I last flew even upgraded my PC so actually stand a chance to edit the 1080 footage.

Cheers! The weather has been pretty poor for ages now, it's rare you can get a flight in..

A quick flight from this morning :)

A quick flight from this morning :)

I was there myself this morning, but left the drone at home. It looks just as good up high as it did down below, roll on the summer!

899 euro in Ireland isn't too bad..

899 euro in Ireland isn't too bad..

decent alright! Still have yet to get back flying :((

jogdish wrote:
    decent alright! Still have yet to get back flying (

Today would have been perfect!

I know, did some DIY stuff was looking at the clear blue skies. I am in a city area, so am always nervous even putting it up 10 or so metres, not to mention annoying neighbors.

When I think about taking the car, I always get into the same cycle of is it worth going all that way for 2x15min of flying or is there any interesting place to fly.

You're telling me. First time flying in a month and the light was great today. I'll be looking for my next point of interest for something interesting over the rest of the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Hi guys,
    a few days ago got my Fly More combo on Amazon UK...Its my first drone and I'm surprised how easy to flight it is :)

• Advertisement

Hi guys, a few days ago got my Fly More combo on Amazon UK...Its my first drone and I'm surprised how easy to flight it is

Yep, a child could fly it! Have you got any footage to share? :)

Advertisement