Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any beginners day/weekend courses in Ireland?

• 03-03-2019 1:27am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any day or weekend beginners woodworking courses? Evening classes won't work with my work hours, but a crash course would be good rather than muddling through on my own at home. I might also send the other half on it.
    Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a couple i've heard of, but generally with a more specific than general bent, if it's just going to be for a couple of days.
    e.g. this place who seem to offer courses in how to make specific items (but i suspect there's a lot of pre-fabrication as a beginner is not going to be able to construct every part from scratch in a couple of days)
    https://www.bevelwoodworkingschool.com/courses/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Cheers. They look decent, but they don't have many more courses listed on their website yet. Will drop them an email., thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I have no hesitation in recommending Steve Ramsay's online "weekend woodworker" course (which I have done): https://theweekendwoodworker.com/signup/

You'll need to be able to cope with his highly enthusiastic Californian style but I found it thoroughly worthwhile. As it happens a bench that a built during that course is standing against the wall beside me as I type this!

Detailed, safe, and with a high level of project output. It provides solid fundamentals that can then be taken forward into trickier areas of joinery and hand tools.

Advertisement