Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Mod Note - 9/10/2012: This thread is for discussing the various aspects of building as they arise. Do not use this thread for "pre-building" queries. Such queries should be posted in their own threads.

interesting to have a "live" list of current self-builds on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Had my stairs fully restored -snip-. Essentially rebuilt from the inside and then everything on the outside put back in place. 16 new balusters turned to match the originals, new treads, noses and risers where required and new sections of handrail. The monkeys tail was also added back in as there was a nasty Victorian newel post where it once stood.

Uovxcai.jpg

[snip]

[snip]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

So... Got the BER rating today.
    A3 we got, happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Carrickbeg

Got 3.1 yday on the air tightness test. Im happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

I was very dissapointed with the 2.9 we got on the AT test as we were aiming for 1. Feel a lot of details were overlooked by the builder even with a very detailed spec. Kinda felt a bit fobbed off (though he himself was delighted).

Also would have loved an A2 but got an A3 last week. With all the insulation, efficient A2W heating, 3G windows, MVHR etc, I'm at a loss as to what more we should have done. BER guy said 'a couple of PV panels would have brought us up to A2' but that wouldn't have been a wise financial investment at this stage imo. Is that really the only difference!?

As they always say, you really need to build 2 houses to get it right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    I was very dissapointed with the 2.9 we got on the AT test as we were aiming for 1. Feel a lot of details were overlooked by the builder even with a very detailed spec. Kinda felt a bit fobbed off (though he himself was delighted).

Also would have loved an A2 but got an A3 last week. With all the insulation, efficient A2W heating, 3G windows, MVHR etc, I'm at a loss as to what more we should have done. BER guy said 'a couple of PV panels would have brought us up to A2' but that wouldn't have been a wise financial investment at this stage imo. Is that really the only difference!?

I got 2.7 A/T
    I was talking with the enginneer, and we were in his office, he showed me the software for calculating BER.
    Its B0llix.
    We simulated our insulation higher, it gave a lower BER.
    Any respect I had for BER went out the (Excuse the A/T pun) window.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

are those number air changes per hour or the other measurement I think its air permeability M3/hr/m2 or something like that?

I saw that 5 M3/hr/m2 was the normal practice and less than 3 was best practice for mech ventilated houses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ Phillip Mammoth Jury

No. Fully detailed and correct construction drawings with a set energy target at the start ensure you get it right first time around.

Lots of people seem to fob this step off saying its too expensive and no need.
    In the end its a guessing game and a game of 'how much does your builder care'

Frogeye wrote: »
    are those number air changes per hour or the other measurement I think its air permeability M3/hr/m2 or something like that?

I saw that 5 M3/hr/m2 was the normal practice and less than 3 was best practice for mech ventilated houses...

Its the rate of air loss/gain measured at a pressure of 50pascals over a set period/hour. Measure in positive pressure as well as negative pressure.

5m3 isnt very good at all.
    3m3 in todays best practice, with todays knowledge isnt great either.

Soon the 0.6m2 Passive standard will be the regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

No. Fully detailed and correct construction drawings with a set energy target at the start ensure you get it right first time around.

I had all of the above. Including an energy consultant and fully spec'd construction drawings. I did everything on my end possible including setting an AT target of 1.

That's why I'm so annoyed tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Its the rate of air loss/gain measured at a pressure of 50pascals over a set period/hour. Measure in positive pressure as well as negative pressure.

5m3 isnt very good at all.
    3m3 in todays best practice, with todays knowledge isnt great either.

Soon the 0.6m2 Passive standard will be the regulation.

The passive standard is german right? and they measure Air changes per hour don't they? This why I'm confused.. the guys earlier weren't clear on which they were using....air changes or rate of loss

How do you compare make a comparison between 0.6 and 3 m3 if they are different standards?

I had all of the above. Including an energy consultant and fully spec'd construction drawings. I did everything on my end possible including setting an AT target of 1.

That's why I'm so annoyed tbh.

What was the set target so? Was this target in the Builders quote? If its stated on the pre contract documents then you have a right to be annoyed and an avenue to chase the builders to rectify for non performance.

Frogeye wrote: »
    The passive standard is german right? and they measure Air changes per hour don't they? This why I'm confused.. the guys earlier weren't clear on which they were using....air changes or rate of loss

How do you compare make a comparison between 0.6 and 3 m3 if they are different standards?

Passive standard is universal and a personal choice. But pretty soon a lot of the Passive parameters will be adopted by Building Regulations. Dun Laoghaire Rathdown have already adopted it in some part.

Air Changes is the term for actual rate of loss of air in a structure.

An Airtight test will give a figure measured as n50 which is an average result of Pressurisation and depressurisation of your envelope(total surface area) at a pressure of 50Pa.

This will read as a figure for example 0.6 ACH@50Pa. ACH being a figure measured as m3/h/m2

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Wartburg

Passive standard is universal and a personal choice. But pretty soon a lot of the Passive parameters will be adopted by Building Regulations. Dun Laoghaire Rathdown have already adopted it in some part.

Air Changes is the term for actual rate of loss of air in a structure.

An Airtight test will give a figure measured as n50 which is an average result of Pressurisation and depressurisation of your envelope(total surface area) at a pressure of 50Pa.

This will read as a figure for example 0.6 ACH@50Pa. ACH being a figure measured as m3/h/m2

Current standard for air tightness testing: ISO 9972
    Air permeability at 50Pa - q(e50), measured in m³/m2*h, means the air leakage rate (q50), measured by the blower door machine, divided through the total building envelope area
    Air changes at 50Pa - n(50), measured in 1/h, means the air leakage rate (q50), measured by the blower door machine again, divided through the total building volume.
    The regulation in Ireland is focused to the air permeability, whilst countries like Germany point out the air changes. A certified air tightness test according to ISO 9972 requires both values as result.
    The passive house level for air tightness with a maximum of 0.6 ACH @ 50Pa has to be achieved with the building preparation method "building in use", which means nothing else than I won´t be allowed to tape openings for the mHRV or cooker hood extractor during my air tightness test.

From next year onwards the required air permeability is maximum 5m³/m²*h and 3m³/m²*h for buildings with mechanical heat recovery ventilation. In my honest oppinion, I wouldn´t be happy with values of more than 2m³/m²*h for a new built or deep retrofit.

So im finished building my house. Whats the correct name of the cert i get off my supervising engineer.?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Carrickbeg wrote: »
    So im finished building my house. Whats the correct name of the cert i get off my supervising engineer.?

Did you out in or opt out?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Did you out in or opt out?

Out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

We are now st the stage of picking out our windows. Have pretty much decided on company but trying to decide on color and design. Is there any software available online to up load your house to compare colors abs design. Like what you see on the car websites when your chiloosing your color and specs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

sea12 wrote: »
    We are now st the stage of picking out our windows. Have pretty much decided on company but trying to decide on color and design. Is there any software available online to up load your house to compare colors abs design. Like what you see on the car websites when your chiloosing your color and specs

Would your architect or engineer be able to throw out a few elevation plans with the differences you want maybe ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Carrickbeg wrote: »

Even if you are on opt out he should at least provide you with Form BR SE 9202. This is a certificate offering an opinion of compliance with the planning permission and the building regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fearmhor18

If anyone has any pictures of RAL green doors it would be greatly appreciated. We are going with Rationel and we wanted like a rich green. Look at moss green but it was too dark. If anyone has a nice green door please share :)

Mod Note - 9/10/2012: This thread is for discussing the various aspects of building as they arise. Do not use this thread for "pre-building" queries. Such queries should be posted in their own threads.

How many people on boards are in the process of building their own homes at the moment, have recently completed or planning to do so in the near future.

I am about 3/4 of the way through a self-build.
    It would be interesting to have a "live" list of current self-builds on the forum.

Some posts removed starting with spammed of topic post. Please note thread rules. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭moldy_sea

Would really appreciate a PM on your window choice and why. We are picking soon; any input welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

Hi Guys,
    Could you tell me the recommended way to repair the DPC radon barrier? Is it just sticking this tape on both sides of the rip? like someone suggested to me? and the same for the small holes?
    I will have level access at these areas, so I'd like the DPC to be as good as possible. (ground level at the top of the DPC, with ACO drains outside)

IMAG3294.jpg?raw=1

IMAG3295.jpg?raw=1

IMAG3299.jpg?raw=1

You could patch that and let it up the inside of the door frame. You could make up a tray to let that door sit into aswell with a new wide piece that would sit under the door and catch any water from it and carry it away under the door and out.
    If you want level access make sure your door supplier gives you a low threshold door and clearly mark your FFL before they are fitted to be sure of having the inside and outside as seemless as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

Consistant advise, DOn't you love it!! So the question is, do I cut the ends off these hangers or not?? One carpenter said it didn't mattter, while another said put 4!! (there is only room for 2) twisted nails in it, because all the weight is hanging on this area?
    So are the tabs important at the top of the hanger?
    Thanks, Keep the advise consistant haha

IMAG3480.jpg?raw=1

magnethead wrote: »
    Consistant advise, DOn't you love it!! So the question is, do I cut the ends off these hangers or not?? One carpenter said it didn't mattter, while another said put 4!! (there is only room for 2) twisted nails in it, because all the weight is hanging on this area?
    So are the tabs important at the top of the hanger?
    Thanks, Keep the advise consistant haha

IMAG3480.jpg?raw=1
    Probably best to bend them over and nail them . Damn near as quick and handy as cutting them really . Is the timber 6x2 ? They might have been to fit 9x2's so that might be why one chippy is saying to just cut them.
    I'd nail the two holes on the bottom of the joist holder aswell , they are all meant to be nailed by design and the bottom two might avoid a crack in the plaster if the joist moves a bit in the holder .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I definitely wouldn't cut them as it possibly could expose them to rusting over time.

Advertisement