Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EMF (Gaussmeter) meter needed

• 19-08-2015 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi,

We are considering to buy a house which is approximately 200 meters away from 110kv electrical pylon and I wonder what's the magnetic field radiation value? Nominal values are around ~0.5mG and according to different statistics and sheets, MF radiation should be less than 0.1mG given the above circumstances.

Does anyone has a decent meter which can measure the emf radiation? I'd love to borrow/rent or if you have time, drive over there and measure.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭phoenix49

I ended up buying one, its a useful tool anyway :)

So if anyone needs one - I can lend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Janulili1

Hi,
    I'm in a similar situation, want to buy a house, which is about 10m away from a substation and also has what looks like micro substation less than 2m from the door and now I'm in 2 minds, go for it or not. Is your offer still valid for a lend of gaussmeter? Of course, I wouldn't expect it for free.

Janulili1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm in a similar situation, want to buy a house, which is about 10m away from a substation and also has what looks like micro substation less than 2m from the door and now I'm in 2 minds, go for it or not. Is your offer still valid for a lend of gaussmeter? Of course, I wouldn't expect it for free.

PMd you

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mcdm

Hey all. Where did you you buy it phoenix49? Looking to buy or rent one myself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

phoenix49 wrote: »
    I ended up buying one, its a useful tool anyway :)

What was the result of the test?

eeguy wrote: »
    What was the result of the test?

Hey, I ordered it online on Amazon US and currently lended to another user. I'll ask them if they still need it.

Result was good for me as the house is far enough from the pylons, but near the 110KV pylons emission rates are quite high, I wouldn't buy ones near then given that i have a 2 year old son. Even if there's a small risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

Hi Phoenix,

I am in the very same situation as you were in when you setup this thread! We are thinking about purchasing a house which located 50metres from sizable 38kv/110kv substation (two transformers/switches & two big sheds).

I would be extremely grateful if I could have a lend of your Gauss Meter for 24 hours or so. Similar to the previous borrower, I would insist on throwing some cash your way too.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Garethcon86

Hi Pheonix and everyone else

I am in the same situation as you guys.I found a great property that I am interested in buying but it is 70- 100 metre from Steel plyon eletric cables.I would be very greatful if I could get the loan of a gaussmeter and some of your advise also.

Thank you in advance
    Gareth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Ignoring the effects of the building, a 110kV line drawing 1kA has about the same field strength at 100m as a microwave does at 4-5 feet - about 0.02 Gauss. The earth's field, for comparison, is about 0.25-0.65 Gauss.

• Advertisement

Sorry guys, I wasn't checking boards.ie for a while, I can lend the meter for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 deborah55

Hi there,

I know this is an old thread but curious to know where these EMF reading metres can be bought/rented? Looking at a house approx 5 metres from sub station and would like to test before signing contracts.

Many thanks!

deborah55 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I know this is an old thread but curious to know where these EMF reading metres can be bought/rented? Looking at a house approx 5 metres from sub station and would like to test before signing contracts.

Many thanks!

Hey there,

I can lend you mine, PM me for details :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TC.223

phoenix49 wrote: »
    So if anyone needs one - I can lend :)[/QUOTE

Hi, I sent you a private message.

Advertisement