Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

What do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Freediving abit like this I wish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQITWbAaDx0 but a lot more like this but I dont spearfish much anymore myself.http://www.youtube.com/user/fcallagy#p/u/6/uwV41qb4Qig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Le Loup

This section is as close as I can find to a new member introduction section, which I can't find.
    I am a woodsman, living historian, historical trekker and a primitive skills instructor for our local Armidale living history group.
    18th century living history and historical trekking covers a vast selection of woodscraft/bushcraft/survival skills and crafts.
    I live in a forest and am off the grid, so woodscraft and woodslore are my lifestyle.
    Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Cool, where are you based Le Loup? I'm getting more and more interested in life off grid as I get older.

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Cool, where are you based Le Loup? I'm getting more and more interested in life off grid as I get older.

About 40klm outside of Armidale NSW, Australia Phil.
    Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

No hill running as an option? Nor does the Other give a space to fill in the 'other details'.

Regular hill runner, occasional hill walker, 1 time (so far) orienteer but loved it and will be back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

Hi, I am pretty new to boards and still looking for interesting forums to post :) Been doing hillwalking all my life and gotten more and more interested in it the older I get.Have also tried my skills on sailing bit too and during winters big on skiing, both cross-country and traditional, tho will be doing less of that with this climate now :D Brilliant forum, good tips on new routes, keep up the good work!

As I understand it I cannot start a new topic here until I have a certain number of posts under my belt. However, due to who and what I am, I find very little I can comment on, so it will take a while to achieve these required posts.
    Just so you know I am not a lurker or armchair woodsman. I will contribute more when I am allowed/able to.
    Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah, I'm understand that the threshold is 25 posts. This is to prevent spam on the forums, you'll clock up 25 pretty quickly if you're active.

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm understand that the threshold is 25 posts. This is to prevent spam on the forums, you'll clock up 25 pretty quickly if you're active.

Thanks Phil, but take a look at the index, nothing there I can comment on. Hopefully someone will add a new post that I can comment on, but I doubt it. What I do is different to what you do, you are asking someone from the 18th century to comment on 21st century topics. All woodscraft I agree, but a totally different outlook, skills and equipment.
    Well that is 8 posts!
    Thanks again Phil.
    Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

le loup there's a bush craft thread on here ,so why not pop along there i think most of the folks there would appreciate your knowledge ,you might even get a free invite over here to Ireland to lecture ;)

Bu**er, I thought this was the bushcraft thread!

no this is what do you do thread:D:D
    check out outdoor persuits the bushcraft thread is there;)

no this is what do you do thread:D:D
    check out outdoor persuits the bushcraft thread is there;)

Thanks. I did go there but it was just club stuff, no questions, no requests. Nothing I can really post there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Le Loup wrote: »
    Thanks. I did go there but it was just club stuff, no questions, no requests. Nothing I can really post there.

Hey, Le Loup, Phil set up a thread for you here. I've a few questions I'll ask you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 vapoci

Hey everyone,

Is there anyone who could suggest a young hiking group from Cork area? I'd appreciate it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 activitymaster

Hay Guys trying to muster a few more heads for a hike of Lug this Sunday any takers. We are meeting at 10 in lara and heading from there. Nice hike and should be a grand day for it. Bring some sambos and we'll have the craic. So far there are 5 or 6 of us who climbed for charity together, and hopefully everyone will muster friends as some are training to hike the 4 peaks in 48 hrs. No one will no everybody just looking to get afew extra for craics sake . Anyone Interested

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

So it begins, signing up to start hillwalking, mountaineering tomorrow.. Gulp...

Used to be very outdoorsy 8 years ago and then my.kids came along, used to kayak, go caving and rock climbing.

Been walking a lot for the past few months and have taken up kickboxing. I was down in Kerry in July and it him me, I would love to climb carrantuohill but I didn't know where to start, I do now though.

I want to to a basic mountaineer course, learn to use a compass and map read so I can go off by myself or bring my kids up with me when they are older.

So looking forward to it. I'm 32 and plan to hit Kilimanjaro before I hit 40.

well about 4 months ago i sold all my cycle touring kit in a moment of feckin madness,:eek: to be honest been out of work and broke doesn't help money matters so it had to go.
    well i ve nearly everything i need to do a bit of cycle touring again except bike :D:D but hopefully by the summer comes around i'll have that sorted.

so just wondering is there anyone in or around drogheda area that does what i do overnighters cycle camping maybe 50 miles a day nice and easy,i've never mat another guy like myseld in my area that does what i do strange but true:D so curious to know if theres any headers like me out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

hey I rock climb :) and sea/river kayak.

18th century Historical Trekking.
    Keith.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 olymoly

What a pitty, one can only answer for one activity… I do bouldering and climbing, mountaineering (and as I don’t live close to high mountains, I regularly do normal hiking), skiing and running. 

I also wanted to add slacklining and ski touring – anyone else into these? 

Even if this one is quite old – what is 18th century historical trekking? :O