Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile phones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

Yup saw that thanks, however it doesn't let me add it into my basket online for checkout. Here's hoping I can just walk into one of their shops and get it for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

I got the Nokia 1616 for €19.99 from Tesco in Arklow and it was definitely sim free because I tried it with O2 and Meteor sims and they both worked fine.

You legend! - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Tesco sell sim free and locked phones.

The sim free ones are in green packaging the tesco ones are in a box with blue on one side and white on the other side, make sure you ask for the right one. You won't get a refund if you open a tesco mobile one and realise your sim won't work in it.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Tesco sell sim free and locked phones.

The sim free ones are in green packaging the tesco ones are in a box with blue on one side and white on the other side, make sure you ask for the right one. You won't get a refund if you open a tesco mobile one and realise your sim won't work in it.

Thanks mate, people have been most helpful. I'll go to Rathfarnham branch and haggle them for 19.99 to match the Arklow store :)

In case people were wondering and wanted one of these phones..

I only saw one type of packaging for the Nokia 1616 in Tesco and clearly it has a

"I'm locked to TescoMobile network" sticker on it.. however my O2 sim worked fine

so in fact the phone is not locked and any sim will work.

not bad for €19.99

cheers again for all the chaps/chapettes who helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

bestie wrote: »
    In case people were wondering and wanted one of these phones..

I only saw one type of packaging for the Nokia 1616 in Tesco and clearly it has a

"I'm locked to TescoMobile network" sticker on it.. however my O2 sim worked fine

so in fact the phone is not locked and any sim will work.

not bad for €19.99

cheers again for all the chaps/chapettes who helped!

Tesco use the O2 network AFAIK, I would imagine were you to put a Voda or Meteor SIM in it, it would not work.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Tesco use the O2 network AFAIK, I would imagine were you to put a Voda or Meteor SIM in it, it would not work.

Yeah I heard that before, they are a Mobile virtual operator etc.. and that putting your Tesco sim into your O2 phone would work but not the other way around, i'll test it if I get a vodafone sim or meteor one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Tesco sims will not work in an o2 locked phone or an o2 sim wont work in a tesco branded phone ive tested it on 3 diff tesco phones and o2 DOES not work with them unless the phone is unlocked then they will work..
    i got a nokia 2330 and a samsung c3050 from tesco and both are locked to tesco sims only and it clearly states it on the box be careful your sim may not work at all if its tesco branded !!

• Advertisement

jay93 wrote: »
    Tesco sims will not work in an o2 locked phone or an o2 sim wont work in a tesco branded phone ive tested it on 3 diff tesco phones and o2 DOES not work with them unless the phone is unlocked then they will work..
    i got a nokia 2330 and a samsung c3050 from tesco and both are locked to tesco sims only and it clearly states it on the box be careful your sim may not work at all if its tesco branded !!

I purchased one earlier on today, stuck my O2 sim in and it worked, even though the sticker on box says "I'm locked to Tesco Mobile network'. And before I went to purchase I emailed tech support at Tesco Mobile and they said it wouldn't work. Well they are wrong.

Phone was a Nokia 1616 which cost me 19.99 in the Nutgrove store in Rathfarnham.

you can ring me on my number if you don't believe me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

I got the 1616 for my older brother a few days ago in the Tralee store, it cost €24.99 and said "I'm locked to the Tesco Mobile network" on it, however my 3 sim & an old Meteor 1 both work in it.
    But stupid Tesco gave a 3g sim card with it, which means the sim only stays connected to the network for a few hours & then "Insert Sim" comes up on it.....this is not a 3g compatible phone - why are they supplying them with 3g sims instead of 2g ones? :confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

I know yeah, but in fairness my 3 USIM was only in it for a few mins so I'm sure it would have stopped working after a while. The Tesco 3g SIM looks exactly like the 3 USIM....I can't think of any other reason for the "Insert SIM" fault though...clearly the 1616 stops recognising the 3g sim after a while, as it's not a 3g phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Was making a call to the US a while ago (Tesco mobile @ 2c per minute) and got cut off after a warning that dosh was running out. Then dead. Screen says TOP UP balance is €0.01 but my BONUS CREDIT balance is €8.44. How come the latter didn't kick in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Spread wrote: »
    Was making a call to the US a while ago (Tesco mobile @ 2c per minute) and got cut off after a warning that dosh was running out. Then dead. Screen says TOP UP balance is €0.01 but my BONUS CREDIT balance is €8.44. How come the latter didn't kick in?

Hi there

Only your main balance can be used for international, premium or roaming calls. For national and mobile calls and texts your bonus credit balance is used first until its used up and then switches to your main balance. This allows you to manage both balances to most benefit.

regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Thanks Paul! Every little helps :D

No problem spread :)

Just to add here as this is a thread on our phones that we are currently extending our range instore and online.

We have also started to move into smart phones with our first two models the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 mini and Nokia C5-03. There are more to come over the coming weeks also. See our website link in my sig.

There is something big coming next week also that I will announce here first...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

No problem spread :)

Just to add here as this is a thread on our phones that we are currently extending our range instore and online.

We have also started to move into smart phones with our first two models the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 mini and Nokia C5-03. There are more to come over the coming weeks also. See our website link in my sig.

There is something big coming next week also that I will announce here first...

ahhh paul. not back to the teasing again, are we:D

• Advertisement

As promised, I am pleased to announce that from this evening, we have reduced from €20 to €10 the amount you need to top-up to get free calls, texts and picture messages to other Tesco Mobile customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ubuntulinux

Nice one Paul,things getting better by the day.:)

Thanks Ubuntu.

We have simplified the process also. Every time you topup by €10 or more you get free calls, texts and picture messages to other Tesco Mobile customers for the next 30 days. We still give you €10 bonus credit every time aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

hi paul, heres a great idea for you. help make tescos even more billions!

why not get the zte blade as an exclusive tesco handset in the republic? you can tell their popularity by the its thread in android. its a mega phone, i got one for my son, and i will have to go back to norn iron to buy another one for my daughter. just saying like.

emo72 wrote: »

why not get the zte blade as an exclusive tesco handset in the republic? you can tell their popularity by the its thread in android. its a mega phone, i got one for my son, and i will have to go back to norn iron to buy another one for my daughter. just saying like.

Tthanks Emo, will take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

emo72 wrote: »

Hi emo72....and TM Paul.

I am a Tesco Mobile customer, as is my OH, but we are light users, so €10p/m is always adequate.

Are you saying I will spend even less p/month?? on the €10 top-up(+€10 bonus).

I have also bought the ZTE Blade(Orange San Fran) recently.

Have you set up the APN for Internet and MMS for this on the Blade for Tesco Network yet?

I am having a problem sending an MMS picture message to my wifes phone, just testing.

It worked OK on my previous Nokia, but I was able to d/l the settings from Tesco.

However, the settings d/l tool does not include the ZTE Blade.

See here for settings I made, are they OK?

95y81t.jpg

2ajnnv9.jpg

Hi irishpancake,

From last night for your €10 topup your calls, texts and picture messages to other Tesco Mobile Customers will now be free for 30 days so your €10 topup should stretch further than before (with not having to pay to call your OH!). You still get the €10 bonus credit also.

On the settings I think you have one setting incorrect

The MMSC should be http://mmc1/servlets/mms you have one e too many in there at the moment

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Hi irishpancake,

From last night for your €10 topup your calls, texts and picture messages to other Tesco Mobile Customers will now be free for 30 days so your €10 topup should stretch further than before (with not having to pay to call your OH!). You still get the €10 bonus credit also.

On the settings I think you have one setting incorrect

The MMSC should be http://mmc1/servlets/mms you have one e too many in there at the moment

regards
    Paul

Thanx Paul,

I've modified the servlet spelling error, but still no joy.....:(

I cannot send a MMS message to Missus Pancake, small pic just 59K.

I was using this Tesco SIM in my previous Nokia Phone with no probs, and now I have this new Android ZTE Blade (Orange unlocked de-branded).

Normal texts are OK, but I cannot either receive or send MMS.

When OH sends to me, I get a notification msg, showing message size and expiry date, and a download button......when tapped this says Currently unable download, try later..

When I send to her, I just get Sending, before that this flashes up:

currently unable to send, will...etc. :

Pic below showing messages....I'm trying to send the famous Beatles Abbey Road pic ;)

2hzu2xl.jpg

Any help appreciated......

BTW, OH can send message to herself here, she has a Nokia 2700 Classic. Same message to me fails, as above.

Mobile Network settings: Data Enabled checked

Network Mode: GSM/WCDMA auto checked

Data Roaming: Unchecked (phone warns may incur significant roaming charges)

Data roaming needs to be on... This is because we roam on O2

There are no extra charges in fact it will be free to you OH on Tesco Mobile if you topped up on last 2 days by 10e or more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

As promised, I am pleased to announce that from this evening, we have reduced from €20 to €10 the amount you need to top-up to get free calls, texts and picture messages to other Tesco Mobile customers.

Paul is this effective yet ?
    Still no info on your site about it.
    But my god this is great all my family and friends will be pleased to hear about this .
    So only 10euro i needed to get free calls txts and picture messages to tesco mobile now am i right there :)

Tesco mobile just keeps getting better and better .:D:D:D

Advertisement