Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Eoin wrote: »
    Also, what if the club doesn't even have a lower team in a league that the player would be eligible for? e.g. someone dropping down from J1 to a div 7 J4 team.

When you mention that, there was a Metro J 4 club who had an ex international playing for them some years back. While the lad in question was not capped by a major nation he had still played to a very high level in a top tier national club some years ago before the professional game arrived. He moved here to work and had given up playing through injury and apathy before returning at J 4 level, albeit in his late 30's and was loving it again. Numerous big clubs approached him but he stayed put for several years; I reckon he was well retired by now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

When you mention that, there was a Metro J 4 club who had an ex international playing for them some years back. While the lad in question was not capped by a major nation he had still played to a very high level in a top tier national club some years ago before the professional game arrived. He moved here to work and had given up playing through injury and apathy before returning at J 4 level, albeit in his late 30's and was loving it again. Numerous big clubs approached him but he stayed put for several years; I reckon he was well retired by now :)

If nearly every J4 team there are players who either have played at a way higher level or could. In the last few seasons I remember seeing a super 10 playing for Barnhall and some body builder dude playing for Tallaght. The Tallaght lad has the physicality to play at a much higher level - super tackler.

If nearly every J4 team there are players who either have played at a way higher level or could. In the last few seasons I remember seeing a super 10 playing for Barnhall and some body builder dude playing for Tallaght. The Tallaght lad has the physicality to play at a much higher level - super tackler.

I saw the body builder guy play before; he wasn't up to much when I saw him though he sure was strong.

The super 10 guy; I can't remember his name but wasn't the deal with him was that he was limited to junior leagues as couldn't get clearance to play AIL or some such complication?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I saw the body builder guy play before; he wasn't up to much when I saw him though he sure was strong.

The super 10 guy; I can't remember his name but wasn't the deal with him was that he was limited to junior leagues as couldn't get clearance to play AIL or some such complication?

The "bodybuilder" guy has moved on to a higher level with a different club, but at the time he was in our strongest team in Tallaght. He could only play about 20mins at full pelt when I played with him, his aerobic fitness lacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Eoin wrote: »
    That sounds a bit drastic. What would you consider a high level? J1?
    .ak wrote: »
    Yeah, and who'd rate the players?

J1 or senior players

Not rated on ability but on the highest standard achieved i.e. regularly playing at J1 or above

It's not ban they could still play but just at a more suitable level. The practice is unfair both to the players in these clubs who turn out all year and the smaller cubs who don't have ability to call on these players. My first yera at senior level, coming off the 19's I played in the then J8 cup our team had two ex internationals in it, admittedly they were in their 40's at that stage but the gulf in class was silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 phil devlin

love to get back playing again. Anyone on any teams that are recruiting new players.

love to get back playing again. Anyone on any teams that are recruiting new players.

They all are, Phil and that not's being smart :) Where are you based and what level of rugby are you capable of playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Wanderers fc ( the current j4 cup holders who only had members of their j4 squad playing in the cup!) are meeting up on saturday at merrion road at 11:30 for some social tip. Afterwards the plan is to have a few pints and watch the seniors play.

Itll be a mix of the j3 and j4 squads so the standard should be fine for anyone to take part. New recruits will be warmly welcomed so dont hesitate to come down. It should be a good laugh and a nice introduction to a few lads you'll be training with.

the grounds are off the Merrion roadin ballsbridge between the bewleys hotel and the merrion shopping center. Any questions let me know.

Itll

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Gonna have to wait til payday to get a custom gumshield made, but in the meantime can anyone recommend any decent cheap gumshields to buy around town? Need it by Monday...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Gonna have to wait til payday to get a custom gumshield made, but in the meantime can anyone recommend any decent cheap gumshields to buy around town? Need it by Monday...
    Elvery's have Shock Doctor gumshields.

I have used these in the past and found them great. Just need to be careful during the moulding process.

• Advertisement

Yep, I bought a cheap opro gumshield and messed up the moulding process! Left it a wee bit too long in the hot water and bit right through it! :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Any measure to control player movements between levels must include photo ID, which shouldn't be too hard in this day and age.

Any player can tell the ref another player's name - the ref won't know any better without a list of players with photos beside names.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 phil devlin

They all are, Phil and that not's being smart :) Where are you based and what level of rugby are you capable of playing?

played j3 a few years ago, based in south west dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

dregin wrote: »
    Any measure to control player movements between levels must include photo ID, which shouldn't be too hard in this day and age.

Any player can tell the ref another player's name - the ref won't know any better without a list of players with photos beside names.

Agree with this, don't know why this hasn't been brought in before.
    Everybody in this day and age has some form of ID, doesn't have to be official rugby club cards, just need all players to be registered and a quick check of id's before hand... wouldn't take more than a minute.

To the poster wondering about clontarf social rugby. It starts back this Monday, and will be monday's and wedensdays from 7.

Generally both teams train together, possibly splitting up on the Thursday to do team runs etc. Would imagine the first few weeks will be fitness work and not too much physical contact.
    I'm absolutely dreading it as I am about as unfit as I've ever been!

played j3 a few years ago, based in south west dublin

South West Dublin - I'd suggest Tallaght or Clondalkin. Both have decent teams at junior levels.

dregin wrote: »

Referees are told to just referee the game on the day; no more no less. Who plays for what team on a given day isn't our business to sort out, that's for teams to deal with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The "bodybuilder" guy has moved on to a higher level with a different club, but at the time he was in our strongest team in Tallaght. He could only play about 20mins at full pelt when I played with him, his aerobic fitness lacked.

He wouldn't happened to have moved to Clondalkin by any chance.. They have someone that mat hes thia description..

Referees are told to just referee the game on the day; no more no less. Who plays for what team on a given day isn't our business to sort out, that's for teams to deal with themselves.

Am I right in saying most clubs now have to submit teamsheets online before games?? If so, why not have a player profile pic beside the names..

ColmH81 wrote: »
    He wouldn't happened to have moved to Clondalkin by any chance.. They have someone that mat hes thia description..

Nah think he's with the guards man.

Looking forward to breaking my J4/5 cherry with training on monday. Should be good! What's training like on the first few sessions?

• Advertisement

Looking forward to breaking my J4/5 cherry with training on monday. Should be good! What's training like on the first few sessions?

Depends on the club, but tallaght are currently making us drag tyres around the field and running us into the ground :pac:

Clontarf.

That sounds delightful... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Clontarf.

That sounds delightful... :D

Word in the club today was circuit training no contact for two to three weeks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

We've been working cardio mostly for the last few weeks. After half a year out it's been pretty hellish >_<

ColmH81 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying most clubs now have to submit teamsheets online before games?? If so, why not have a player profile pic beside the names..

Not sure, man. ARLB's pre season seminar is tomorrow so it may get a mention; if it does I'll report back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MeTV

Full pre-season training for Wanderers FC's Juniors (J3/J4) gets underway tonight at half 7 in Merrion Road (serviced by both buses and DARTs going to & from town).

New players -whether transferring from another club, taking rugby up again after a break or completely new to the game - are more than welcome to come down and get involved.

If you've any questions, feel free to PM me.

I'll see you up there!
    I'll be the one puking after five minutes. I've never been so unfit and am still recovering after the weekend....

Great, I won't be alone in the unfit category then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bort Ort

On the suggested format of the leagues, it mentioned only 1 team up and down from each league with that one team decided by a play-off. Presumably this is seriously open to abuse - perhaps more so than stacking a team for a cup run...

Would prefer simple league format with no play-offs. Also, think two up two down would be better for teams to find their level quicker, leagues to settle down and maintain interest of all teams right to the end.

• Advertisement

Bort Ort wrote: »
    On the suggested format of the leagues, it mentioned only 1 team up and down from each league with that one team decided by a play-off. Presumably this is seriously open to abuse - perhaps more so than stacking a team for a cup run...

Would prefer simple league format with no play-offs. Also, think two up two down would be better for teams to find their level quicker, leagues to settle down and maintain interest of all teams right to the end.

This is true.. A well put together team could end up finishing second in the league and become disinterested the next season.. No play off would be fairer..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement