Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

LIDL Electric chainsaw ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Electric chainsaws can be good, but usually nowhere near a petrol saw.
    They should be powerful enough for small logs smaller than 8"
    Budget for a spare chain, these saws have a hard time when the chain dulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I'd say any of them would be fine for home use, but a note of caution: Chain saws are very dangerous indeed and people have killed themselves with them when they weren't used to them. If it slips or cuts through the workpiece and hits your leg, you will be minus a leg before you can blink. Professionals wear overalls that have thick padding on the legs that will jam the saw if it hits there, and steel toe capped boots to protect their feet. If you haven't used one before, read the instruction manual and do exactly what it says;)

ART6 wrote: »
    I'd say any of them would be fine for home use, but a note of caution: Chain saws are very dangerous indeed and people have killed themselves with them when they weren't used to them. If it slips or cuts through the workpiece and hits your leg, you will be minus a leg before you can blink. Professionals wear overalls that have thick padding on the legs that will jam the saw if it hits there, and steel toe capped boots to protect their feet. If you haven't used one before, read the instruction manual and do exactly what it says;)

Thats one of the issues I have with electric saws, due to the way an electric saw works it has huge torque and chainsaw safety pants which stall petrol saws don't work very well on electric saws.
    It is unlikely that you will cut your leg off, you are far more likely to cut a hole in yourself and bleed out.
    Steel capped boots are a very good idea though.
    I think Lidl had chainsaw boots on offer a while back worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,392 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lidl, on and off, have had the complete works, i.e. boots, kevlar trousers, gloves and helmet available.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

If anyone gets that Lidl chainsaw can they post back here on whether or not it's any good. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

icon4.gif I bought and returned one today for various reasons, the main one being I value my own safety and hands and after a near amputation of 2 of my fingers I boxed it u and sent it back. The torque is dangerous as with the electric motor it is releases by a trigger button making it jump which is far from smooth. The chain left the running belt 3 times so I had it checked by a friend who works for a local tool hire company.He laughed at me but reset it and gave it a few practice saws but with exactle the same effect.

I followed my intuition and his advice and got rid of the thing asap. I am not LIDL bashing because they do have a great range of products for good value products but "DIY'ERS beware this is not a safe item to buy". As Art6 said please use extreme caution with this product. icon4.gificon13.gif

Regards
    Builditwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Thanks Builditwell,

Give the electric one a wide birth.
    However, when the petrol "florabest" chainsaw comes back into stoack and on offer in Lidl - snap it up.
    It's made by Husquevarna and a bargain!
    I'll be keep me eye out for one.

Thanks Builditwell,

Give the electric one a wide birth.
    However, when the petrol "florabest" chainsaw comes back into stoack and on offer in Lidl - snap it up.
    It's made by Husquevarna and a bargain!
    I'll be keep me eye out for one.

It is not made by Husky, it is made in the Italian factory which produces McCulloch and the cheap Husqvarna saws 142 etc.
    It is a reasonable saw but not what I would call a bargain.
    How do you get parts for it? Mail order?

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    It is not made by Husky, it is made in the Italian factory which produces McCulloch and the cheap Husqvarna saws 142 etc.
    It is a reasonable saw but not what I would call a bargain.
    How do you get parts for it? Mail order?

Not what i was told.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Nobody seems to have raised an eyebrow at the 14K price tag on the chainsaw in the linky :eek: Typo or is it Ultra special?

Not what i was told.;)

You were told wrong ;) Have a look at the sticker next time they are in stock.
    Husqvarna is part of the Electrolux group, which also make Partner, McCulloch, and Jonsered.
    The factory is in Valmadrera in Italy.
    They assemble all the consumer saws for Husky.
    Some of the parts might be made in Sweden, but they are assembled in Italy.

You were told wrong ;) Have a look at the sticker next time they are in stock.
    Husqvarna is part of the Electrolux group, which also make Partner, McCulloch, and Jonsered.
    The factory is in Valmadrera in Italy.
    They assemble all the consumer saws for Husky.
    Some of the parts might be made in Sweden, but they are assembled in Italy.

CJ - calm down, breath in and out. :)
    I'm saying and stand by what i said "what I was told" - don't shoot the messenger - and regardless of who makes it,its meant ( I'm told,geddit)to be good for the price and I'll take that advice from the person i know in the trade and not a faceless person on an internet forum using a dead politicians name, trying to brow beat me down with a "I know it all and you're wrong styleeeeeeee" End of.;) LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Electric chainsaws.. hmmm..

Ive got a husquvarna chainsaw, petrol - great machine. Having said that we'd have alot of work for it.

PLease be careful with chainsaws, there are very dangerous to work with, but most accidents happen due to complacency or not knowing how to use a cainsaw properly.. Never ever use the tip of the saw for cutting, keep the branch clost to the base of the chain bear the grip teeth

CJ - calm down, breath in and out. :)
    I'm saying and stand by what i said "what I was told" - don't shoot the messenger - and regardless of who makes it,its meant ( I'm told,geddit)to be good for the price and I'll take that advice from the person i know in the trade and not a faceless person on an internet forum using a dead politicians name, trying to brow beat me down with a "I know it all and you're wrong styleeeeeeee" End of.;) LOL

Firstly I am calm.... just taking my medication ;)
    Secondly good man, go and buy the saw, just don't cut your leg and bleed out.
    I couldn't give a monkeys whether you think I am trying to brow beat you or not, what I do care about is accuracy of information.
    You have provided nothing but "a mate told me that this saw is a husky"
    Anyone else reading this thread that thinks the Florabest is a Husqvarna think again, it ain't orange and it ain't a husky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I got the petrol chainsaw in Aldi. Tis a little cracker. I have cut down 4 big trees and stocked my shed with winter heat for next year. .

Its put away now with the cylinder full of two stroke for storage.

Hopefully it will be ready for action next year again.

. I did need to buy a file for sharpening as the one that came with it was no good.

Update

I picked up the electric chainsaw in LIDL and have put it to serious work over the last week. I agree with the great advise not to cut using the tip, keeping the log close to base during cut will increase safety.

The chainsaw itself is great, allot of umph n power (2200W). and its great not to have to mess with topping up on petrol all the time and flooding it the odd time. im afraid my petrol chainsaw will stay in the loft for the time been.

Thumps up for this chainsaw for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Lads, rather than start a new thread was wondering what are peoples opinions of the McCulloch petrol saws:

€149
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/productdetail.aspx?pid=1980&loc=P&catid=102.12
    €199
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/productdetail.aspx?pid=7767&loc=P&catid=102.12
    Same as above but Tenner cheaper
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7303755/Trail/searchtext%3ECHAINSAW.htm

Around €199
    http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=1728044&Trail=searchtext%3ECHAINSAW

Are the McCulloch reliable ?

I had an electric one either Aldi/Lidl up till recently was working fine but ain't working anymore. Might consider the petrol this time due to portability restrictions with electric ones.

Alternatively are Spears and Jackson any good ? I'm not really interested in the more expensive ones (Husq/Stihl) as it's not for heavy use. Bit of log cutting and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Gautama

Lidl are selling their Florabest petrol chainsaw from Monday, €100.
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090831.p.Florabehainsaw
    I was going to get a McC for €175 in B&Q but I think I will get this instead. It's got good HP and a longer blade, and costs less.
    The chain sharpener is €25.
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090831.p.Florabeharpener

Any opinions?

• Advertisement

Alternatively are Spears and Jackson any good ? I'm not really interested in the more expensive ones (Husq/Stihl) as it's not for heavy use. Bit of log cutting and such.

I have a S&J brush-cutter, I wouldn't buy one again.
    It's just a generic tool with the S&J brand on it. S&J make good quality hand tools but their brush-cutter is just a poor re-brand.

As already mentioned, I got the florabest electric charinsaw 2200W version, a mighty saw i tell ya.
    I've a full shed of timber all cut up and she still going.
    So I would have to recommend the florabest

That that money you cant go wrong

Thanks for the heads up on this - I'll be grabbing one of these too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

For me there is only one brand for a chain saw and thats Stihl. Bought mine occasional-center.gif about 5 years ago, its a MS 180 I use it every year for getting in my winter wood supply. Its starts everytime even if its been lying idle for say 3 months. I use the Stihl file set to keep the chain sharp. Maintainence is easy an basic and if I really have a problem I can go back to the dealer and his workshop to sort it.

I was so happy with Stihl I bought the petrol domestic strimmer plus they're electric hedge trimmer. :):):)

The MS 180 is finished, the new MS181 is a different design with the stratocharged engine.
    I would agree that the MS 180 is a good little machine and was very reasonably priced(in other countries).
    I am hearing good reports about the MS211 also stratocharged,apparently after about 10-11 tanks they start to run very well.
    Stihls strength has always been it's dealer network.
    I wouldn't get one of those electric sharpeners they will reduce the lifetime of your chain considerably, learn to file and you won't look back.
    The chain they use on those saws is either 91VX or 95VP and a loop of it is about €25 ea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I wouldn't get one of those electric sharpeners they will reduce the lifetime of your chain considerably, learn to file and you won't look back.

Good post CJ re the sharpening this a good video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qhwQy8jTHg&feature=related

I think I paid €225 4 years ago here in Belgium and its paid me back many times, very handy kit.

Cutting down trees takes a bit of thinking especially if you're close to electric wires and/or houses but thats another story.

All I can say I'm very happy with my MS 180.:):):)

Gautama wrote: »
    Lidl are selling their Florabest petrol chainsaw from Monday, €100.
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090831.p.Florabehainsaw
    I was going to get a McC for €175 in B&Q but I think I will get this instead. It's got good HP and a longer blade, and costs less.
    The chain sharpener is €25.
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090831.p.Florabeharpener

Any opinions?

After doing a bit of research I've decided that "you pay for quality"! In that case I may give Florabest a skip.

Also, I did some googling and there are a number of posts where people have had trouble finding Florabest parts.

I have an electric McCullock that I haven't used that much and it's given me no problems. However, I need a petrol one so I may buy a Husquvarna or a Stihl.

Where's the best place (in the Dublin area) to buy one? If memory serves I can't recall seeing one in Homebase or B&Q. Am I better off going to Atlantic or Woodies, or a Builders Providers like Brooks?

After doing a bit of research I've decided that "you pay for quality"! In that case I may give Florabest a skip.

Also, I did some googling and there are a number of posts where people have had trouble finding Florabest parts.

I have an electric McCullock that I haven't used that much and it's given me no problems. However, I need a petrol one so I may buy a Husquvarna or a Stihl.

Where's the best place (in the Dublin area) to buy one? If memory serves I can't recall seeing one in Homebase or B&Q. Am I better off going to Atlantic or Woodies, or a Builders Providers like Brooks?

I look at it like this, you probably need a 30-40cc saw for small work nothing bigger than 16" dia. Can you sharpen and maintain your own saw? clean the Airfilter? If you can then buy from Ebay. If you aren't sure and need to be walked through the process, find a good local dealer either Stihl or Husky.
    There are a few good dealers around but also a lot of them are just interested in getting money out of your wallet and into theirs.
    I wouldn't buy from those big stores they will be not much cheaper than a dealer and give as much backup as an Ebay seller.

Stihl look at MS181-211
    Husky 435-440 not the 235 series.

They are much cheaper in the UK.

Well, The Florabest is a Husky, so it is quality and you've missed a trick imho. I bought one today, and its got Husky written on it, a comprehensive manual and 24 month back up by Husky themselves here or in the uk(all the contact details are in the manual)
    I've asembled it, and its working well - and for €99?
    It's near disposable at that price.
    Ohhh, and I picked up some nice croissants whilst in lidl, they'tre in the oven now, Mmmmmmmmmm.:D

• Advertisement

Take it from me ... regardless of whether it says florabest nor not, these chain saws are quality, you'd know it straight away adter using it for a couple of times.
    Mighty kick in it, powerful (and dangerous) and works every time.

Advertisement