Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash Converters

• 03-07-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I've been searching through threads to get an opinion on Cash Converters (Liffey St, Dublin). Was in there yesterday for the first time, and saw a lot of iPods going for a good price, obviously second hand.

Any idea of what kind of standard they pre-test stock at? Ever had or heard of any issues with them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's a secondhand shop, what kind of testing were you expecting them to carry out? As long as the menu comes up and the scroll wheel works they regard the unit as working.

Pot luck, caveat emptor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

coylemj wrote: »
    Pot luck, caveat emptor etc.

Not so much; buying from a retail oulet, which cash convdertors is, you expect that the item should work despite being second hand so there should be a warranty, albeit a limited one.

OP; have you asked in the shop when you were browsing what standards they test to and what gaurantees they give; they should be able to give you a much better idea than asking online.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Fey! wrote: »
    Not so much; buying from a retail oulet, which cash convdertors is, you expect that the item should work despite being second hand so there should be a warranty, albeit a limited one.

OP; have you asked in the shop when you were browsing what standards they test to and what gaurantees they give; they should be able to give you a much better idea than asking online.
    Thanks, i'll definitely be doing that, but it's worth asking the general populus of the board of their experience too.

I would agree, being a retail outlet, they have a standard check that they would have before they pay out money for something to resell, before I'm even able to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

They don't call them Trash Convertors for nothing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I thought, they went bust? Or was it only the shop on Meath Street/Thomas Street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I thought, they went bust? Or was it only the shop on Meath Street/Thomas Street?
    Just the Thomas St one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Would not buy anything out of Cash Converter. Think they are <SNIP> to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Strange. I checked on 'cashconvertersireland.ie', got the message that the 'business is no longer trading'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Strange. I checked on 'cashconvertersireland.ie', got the message that the 'business is no longer trading'

Yes that would be true because the business is actually called Cash Connectors .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Shop around - Cash converts is indeed bust in Ireland.

There is also CeX - very good for testing stuff
    Kit Swap (or something like that on Parnell st)
    and a few others.

TBH you'll find alot of stuff brand new online cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You have rights buying second hand goods which offer almost the same protection as if the goods were new.

http://www.nca.ie/nca/second-hand
    Buying second-hand goods

When you buy a second-hand item from someone who is selling it as part of their business, you have a similar set of rights as when you buy a new item. However, your rights very much depend on what you paid for the item.

Goods must be fit for the purpose for which they are sold. They must be as described to you and must be of a quality as can be expected, given the price paid for it. However, you cannot expect second-hand goods to be of the same standard as new products.

Second-hand goods are “sold as seen”, so there may be some fault, imperfection or wear and tear. You need to examine the goods carefully and ask the seller to point out any imperfections. Where necessary, for example buying a car or antique furniture, get an expert opinion.

If the item turns out to be faulty, you have the right to return it to the shop where you bought it and ask for a replacement, a repair or a refund.

Private sales

If you buy second-hand items through a private sale – like a second-hand car through a newspaper advert - you have no consumer rights as you are not buying from a business.

The goods only have to be owned by the seller and fit their description, so it is very much a case of "buyer beware". You should check the goods carefully and make sure you are happy before you accept them. For example, when buying a second hand car privately, you should consider having a mechanic look at the car first.

These Cash "converter" shops may soon be forced to register as pawnbrokers and subject to the laws and regulations applicable to Pawnbrokers as it has been shown that they are in fact acting in a very similar way to pawnbrokers!

Advertisement