Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-05-2019, 23:39   #31
ILoveYourVibes

I am veggie ..i eat vegan sometimes. My mom went veggie when i was twelve ..so i did ...she went back to eat fish ..i stayed veggie...my bro is veggie too.

I will cook meat for friends though etc. I do my best as a veggie to cook steak/fish for a mate etc.

I respect people's choices.
Advertisement
04-05-2019, 23:40   #32
El Tarangu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhpipe View Post
Why do you feel its healthier? Would the same meals just with some grilled chicken not be just as healthy, if not more so? I’m genuinely curious.
I actually had the opposite experience of archer - there isn't really anything that provides you with the protein-to-calorie ratio that is as easy to prepare as chicken breasts; I've probably gained (a little) weight since becoming vegetarian. No regrets about it though, and this will probably be offset when I get up to speed with some additional vegetable protein sources, etc.
Thanks from:
04-05-2019, 23:42   #33
archer22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
Well you can't just sit around eating onion rings and chips all day and not get fat. You're clearly eating only healthy vegetarian stuff.
Correct, I only very rarely eat any junk type foods and have no liking for sugary drinks.
But in my case giving up meats was the key...the results quite surprised me to be honest
04-05-2019, 23:43   #34
Necro

Quote:
Originally Posted by auspicious View Post
Out of interest Necro, what products were they basically?
General supermarket items, fresh fruit and vegetables not sourced from other countries. The stuff in Aldi is absolute kack and we stopped shopping there a while back as it goes off after a few days.

I try and lean away from processed meats as they're the worst of them all but at the same time they're also a cheaper option.

Our budget wouldn't be massive though so sometimes needs must and all.
Thanks from:
04-05-2019, 23:47   #35
JohnnyFlash

I’m a complete mucksavage who considers bacon and cabbage to be the finest meal humanity has ever come up with. Even I realise we need to eat less meat. You can do great things with plenty of salt, butter, herbs, and spices. I couldn’t become a vegan though - cheese is so ridiculously tasty that I wouldn’t want to live in a world where it doesn’t exist.
Advertisement
04-05-2019, 23:50   #36
tatranska

I spent the day in my garden planting veggies.
I used horse manure (a by product of an animal) as fertilizer...does that make me evil.

I'll also have chickens in a few weeks.
04-05-2019, 23:52   #37
Hobosan

Cows always look very peaceful in videos and you only ever hear about the bad things that happen to them, but when the cameras are off they're vicious towards us. It's pure anti-omnivorism.

I overheard a Cow saying "Moooower're going to drive you into the sea", as I walked past a field today.

Yet we're somehow the bad guys for imprisoning and killing them in self defense?
04-05-2019, 23:52   #38
auspicious

Majority of Adli veg is from Spain and Netherlands. I try to avoid them and look for Irish. Irish tomatoes for example are much tastier than elsewhere.
Frozen veg is good I find, cheap and seasoned well it's grand. I'm a big gravy lover and probably have it 4 or 5 times a week with the veg.
Lentils are something I never used to eat but now are a staple part of my diet. Cheap, and cooked with some spices they go with almost anything and are very healthy.
04-05-2019, 23:56   #39
Thelonious Monk

Lentils and pulses cost nothing and lots of calories and protein in there. There are pockets of people living around the world where people live longer than the rest of us and the thing they have in common is diets featuring a lot of pulses. Sardinia, parts of Japan etc.
Advertisement
04-05-2019, 23:58   #40
Hobosan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
I'll also have chickens in a few weeks.
Congratulations!

It's tough going but people always say it is the most rewarding part of their lives.
(2) thanks from:
04-05-2019, 23:59   #41
Necro

Quote:
Lentils and pulses cost nothing and lots of calories and protein in there. There are pockets of people living around the world where people live longer than the rest of us and the thing they have in common is diets featuring a lot of pulses. Sardinia, parts of Japan etc.
Boring though. I like variety in my diet tbh. We change our meals up every week otherwise it would drive me mad.
(2) thanks from:
05-05-2019, 00:01   #42
freshpopcorn

Quote:
I'd rather die younger than eat lentils!
(2) thanks from:
05-05-2019, 00:02   #43
strandroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro View Post
General supermarket items, fresh fruit and vegetables not sourced from other countries. The stuff in Aldi is absolute kack and we stopped shopping there a while back as it goes off after a few days.
One thing that really helps is more frequent grocery shopping. We are transitioning to this American style of weekly or fortnightly shop which promotes processed or frozen foods because fresh food doesn't last that long. For fruit and veg you'd be better off shopping frequently and using it up quickly. Same as with butcher meat really, it wouldn't last a few days it only does when it's processed and sealed in a packet.
Thanks from:
05-05-2019, 00:03   #44
DubInMeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
I’m a complete mucksavage who considers bacon and cabbage to be the finest meal humanity has ever come up with. Even I realise we need to eat less meat. You can do great things with plenty of salt, butter, herbs, and spices. I couldn’t become a vegan though - cheese is so ridiculously tasty that I wouldn’t want to live in a world where it doesn’t exist.
Mate of mine is vegan and lived in France for years and cheese as he put it was the hardest thing to give up, my missus is vegan also and she said the same thing.

Tesco are doing a range of vegan cheeses now and they taste like actual dairy based cheese from any reports I've heard, both from them and our other friends who aren't vegetarian/vegan. Can't personally vouch for them as I don't like cheese anyway.
05-05-2019, 00:05   #45
An Ri rua

Quote:
What's wrong with not wanting to eat animals? I don't get why it annoys people so much. I don't eat much red meat or dairy at all, don't miss it or need it.
I haven't eaten meat or dairy for 26 years now. It was very tough at the start, I was lifting a lot of weights as a young skinny lad, and could never get enough protein.
The jury is out on whether Quorn and such are without side effects but that is what I've eaten for years.
Just like the person quoted, I've always had people attacking my position. I love meat, just like I love sex, but it's not morally correct (in my view) to jump on every young one passing and, in s similar vein, it's not morally correct to take the life of a fellow sentient being got pleasure/meat-lust.
Some will say it's a necessary part of a diet. It's not. Until s year or two ago, I could pump out more Hindu push-ups and chin-ups /pullups than most 40+ year olds.
Meat tastes great. But even apart from the self-love of stuffing your guts with flesh at the expense of another precious life, it's now simply a case of trying to disengage from the disharmonious nature of it's route to market. It's all that's wrong with this dirty ****ing consumerist world.
Hey look, if you're into masturbating endlessly, self-indulgent spending, hedonistic living and individualistic ideology, then stuff your guts. It really doesn't matter. Every wo/man for themselves. If you want to change the world, change yourself. Be you Hitler, Gandhi, Larry Good man or the Op.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion