Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ni-Oh (PS4)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What level were you fighting her? In level 6, see graves of level 12 and 13 players around so dunno if I'm under levelled. My last couple of times, I've noticed she misses me a lot when I stick to her alright but she can almost one shot so can be deadly.

Is the demo finished when you beat her?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    What level were you fighting her? In level 6, see graves of level 12 and 13 players around so dunno if I'm under levelled. My last couple of times, I've noticed she misses me a lot when I stick to her alright but she can almost one shot so can be deadly.

Is the demo finished when you beat her?

Could have been level 15 I think.
    There is a NG version of the mission called Twilight mode. There is also a mission where you take on some lad 1 V 1. That is brutal!
    I'm going to try and finish the Twilight mission tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

Is there another bonus for playing this version?

Same items as the last demo I believe.

I'll wait for the full game then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Nah there is one new item in this demo. You gotta clear the mission “Thoughts of the Other Side" to get the Ogress Mask

I'm doing a bit of grinding before the first boss by fighting bloody grave phantoms. I beat a level 28 one, I was around level 12, and it drops a sword that does over 100 point more damage than my current best. I can see this being a handy way to get gear in the release version.

Also, any tips for the boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Evade wrote: »
    Also, any tips for the boss?

I beat her on both regular (lvl 13) and nightmare (level 28) so my advice would be:

Stay close to her, behind as much as possible, stick with a stance that allows you to manage your stamina/ki (make you're you're replenishing and purifying those corrupted areas) so you can dodge effectively. Her attack patterns are pretty obvious and easy to dodge. If you're really having trouble with stamina chug a sacred water during the fight.

I've heard an axe/hammer in heavy stance breaks her very quickly (which would fit with previous bosses) tho I stuck to a medium-stance single katana. Watch your stamina and be patient are IMO the most important tips for her.

If you think you're underlevelled/undergeared farm the revenants a bit. They're a good source of drops. Also make sure you're at max familiarity with your weapon before the fight (this is one people miss AFAICS). Sticking in "green" weight rating (under 70% IIRC) isn't a bad idea either.

Oh, if you're not going to spec for Spirit, I'd also always stick with the bull summon for his extra 200 Life/Health.

Just did it about two minutes before you posted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I beat her with mid sword stance as well.

If you get her to the point where her stamina is gone you can just do 3 slashes - R1 - 3 slashes - R1 - 3 slashes - R1 and completely stun lock her.

• Advertisement

No worries, congrats on the kill. Tips stand for the next mission, he's a real doozy so level as much as you can so you don't lose your amrita.

The demo timed out in the middle of the next mission.

I struggled with the twilight mission. Made a suicide run to the shrine above the little huts but every time i spawned out of it, i was enveloped by 3 or 4 mad baxtards!
    Enjoyed it overall though. Was so much tougher that Souls but I think it was down to the control scheme. It's not as intuitive as Souls and more dexterity is required to balance blocking, dodging & ki re-charging.
    I'll wait on reviews and impressions of the main game before buying it though. I still have The Last Guardian to finish.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

This game is more character action than souls IMO. It's going to require a lot more from people to do well. Souls is sort of happy go lucky compared to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think the demo is after putting me off getting this day 1. I'll see what my game list in Feb is like and decide then but during the demo, even though it was good, I kind of just wanted to turn it off and play Dark Souls 3 DLC which I'm in the middle of. I don't like the stamina R1 regen mechanic as I either want to block or evade after a few hits. I read there is a skill that does a Ki Pulse when you evade after attacks to regain the stamina but I couldn't see it on the skill list. This would sway my decision big time as I'd much prefer to focus on attacking and dodging. The setting is cool but there was just something missing from the whole thing.

I think coming from DaS3, Nioh is a lot more punishing of poor stamina management (it's more like DaS and DaS2 in that regard). You can't just barrage an enemy and then jump back with the last bit of your stamina bar and still roll 3/4 times out of the way of any return fire. Personally I'm not a fan of how lenient DaS3 was with stamina usage (it earned the name Roll Souls 3 honestly) and Nioh is a bit more challenging for forcing you to be efficient/thoughtful.

The skill you've read about lets you ki-pulse while dodging but you still have to get your R1 press in at the right time (and you have to unlock it for each style).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Review embargo is up on Thursday, the game size will be 40GB.

Some good reviews. I've read the eurogamer one. Mainy positive but they've strung out some sections.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-02-nioh-review_4

OpenCritic:
    http://www.opencritic.com/game/3539/nioh?tab=1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some good reviews. I've read the eurogamer one. Mainy positive but they've strung out some sections.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-02-nioh-review_4

OpenCritic:
    http://www.opencritic.com/game/3539/nioh?tab=1

Seems to be quite positive across the board, not a bad review so far, looking forward to playing it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

10/10 from Jim "****ing" Sterling,Son

http://www.thejimquisition.com/nioh-review/

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

bigphil2 wrote: »
    10/10 from Jim "****ing" Sterling,Son

http://www.thejimquisition.com/nioh-review/

The absolute madman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Did the game change the guys nationality to Irish ? He's Irish in the game according to Jim, but historically he was English.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Did the game change the guys nationality to Irish ? He's Irish in the game according to Jim, but historically he was English.
    That probably explains why the boss in the second demo speaks Irish.

I read somewhere that the creators said that the Irish are more mystical (than the English I assume) so would be a better fit for the storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

I read somewhere that the creators said that the Irish are more mystical (than the English I assume) so would be a better fit for the storyline.
    AiddonValentine (EN): Why did you decide to change William's ancestry from English to Irish?

Yosuke Hayashi: "We understand that the Irish have a culture of spirits and one of the premises behind William’s character is his ability to see yokai/ spiritual characters so that’s why we made him Irish"

A nice sentiment alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Its kinda sad that Japan seems to pump out more media featuring Celtic mythology than we do. Only really payed attention to Nioh after hearing the E3 trailer was As Gaeilge.

Still undecided on picking this up though, liked the first demo but the Last Chance really soured me, dunno why but it felt far clunkier and awkward than it did before. Maybe I played other games and never dropped back into the rythem of Niohs combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Thought this was out today....

• Advertisement

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Thought this was out today....

EU release date is tomorrow (or midnight tonight). It's released today in the states.

Advertisement