Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meath GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Just a heads up, if you buy your tickets for Sunday on tickets.ie or in any SuperValu or Centra, you'll only have to pay €10. Pay on the day, and it's €15. You'll also beat the queues.

Or get a season ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Im in the middle of working as rake of sundays at the moment so ill miss this match but i hope we go with a strong team, its one of only 3 home games and we really need to be winning the home games to have any hope. I honestly believe that if we can keep a full injury free squad weve a great chance of going up as I could see us matching anyone in the division except maybe Donegal. But on the other hand we are too used to rubbish league campaigns

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

P O'Rourke
    Donal Keogan, K Reilly, Mickey Burke
    Padraic Harnan, Bryan Menton, David Dalton
    Conor Gillespie, S O'Rourke
    Cillian O'Sullivan, Damien Carroll, G Reilly
    Eammon Wallace, Stephen Bray, Mickey Newman

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Good team.

Its a strong team alright. Good to see COS get a start too. Anything less than 2 points on Sunday and we are in trouble. With a starting XV like that at home theres no excuses for anything less than a win.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Or get a season ticket!

True. I have one. But not everyone can commit to going to all 7 league games.

Very strong team. I don't want to jinx it but hopefully this will be the first year in a long time that we won't have a ridiculous amount of injuries. I'm be expecting nothing less than a win on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

The team looks like it is close to what I would expect to see come championship time, barring the few injuries we have and one or two changes it is probably the strongest team available

How on Earth are we losing this? 4 clear goal chances on top of the two we've scored. Clear penalty waved away as well. Paddy made a fantastic save from a penalty in injury time. Don't know how Dalton wasn't black carded for it though.

Don't think I've ever seen a game quite like that before. 50 points in total between both sides and to be honest, we could have easily had around 40 points today.
    But if we defend like that against Monaghan next week, it will be another massacre in Clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

3-18 all from play is a serious return. Include 15 wides and it's clear our attack is certainly creating enough chances, with more shooting etc done in training as summer approaches those wudes should clear up. However conceding 4 goals is worrying especially considering the Galway attack which wasn't exactly the stamdard of a Kildare or Dublin. However, a good start to the league and we should be confident pushing on in future weeks.

• Advertisement

Hurlers beat Derry in Trim in the Kehoe Cup semi final by 21 points to 12. Final against Kildare next weekend.

Sublime and ridiculous in equal measure. The run of scores in the second half when we were 5 down was brilliant but we should never of let ourselves get into that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

iDave wrote: »
    Sublime and ridiculous in equal measure. The run of scores in the second half when we were 5 down was brilliant but we should never of let ourselves get into that position.

One of the most entertaining league games in a long time. It was a far cry from some of the league games in recent years in which we said afterwards "can it get any worse " etc. You could tell that all of the players and management were up for this one.

Meath had huge possession in the first half but wasted an awful lot as the players got into good positions but then didnt finish off the scores. There were about 10 wides in the first half and the same post hit 3 times. O'Sullivan and Wallace skinned their men but we often failed to capitalise. Let's hope that this is an area that can be improved as the speed of these guys and the general movement is impressive.

However, and credit to Galway, they kept in the game for much of the first half and Kavanagh was instrumental in much of what they did. They took their goals very well and, but for an outstanding penalty save by O'Rourke, could have gone in 5 points up when Meath had most of the play.

We kind of expected Meath to improve in front of goal in the second half and try and be calmer shooting etc. however it was Galway that started best and carved Meath open with another goal to go 5 points up. However the turnaround was great with a calmer approach. Graham Reilly go a crucial score and, in general, the conversion rate was much improved. We turned it around to a 6 point lead but let them in for another goal which left the end a bit more uneasy than it should have been. Some super moves for scores and Mickey Burke, David Bray, Newman, Tormey, Wallace all got in on the action. Keoghan dummied his man and got a lovely point.

In the end a great result but the big issue must be the concession of the goals. The management will look a that. We also need to convert more chances but that will come in time. Shane O'Rourke is still a bit away from full fitness. Tormey did well and should keep his place even if Gillespie is back. Keoghan, O'Sullivan also very good. David Bray did well when he came on so there are a lot of positives and a good start to the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Cillian O'Sullivan looks like a great player. Doesn't seem to panic when he gets into those sorts of positions.
    Paddy was very unlucky with Galway's first and I'm pretty sure there was a blatant push in the back on Kevin Reilly for their second. Wish they showed his penalty save which was magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Graham Geraghty makes his Sigerson Cup bow at the ripe old age of 40 for IT Blanchardstown against NUI Maynooth today. Confirmed that he starts.

Throw in is at 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

All the goals if ye want a look back lads:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/video-goals-meath-galway-cracker/

Good win, I'm impressed with O'Dowd and how well he's bringing young lads through. Building something decent IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭paul71

andyman wrote: »
    Graham Geraghty makes his Sigerson Cup bow at the ripe old age of 40 for IT Blanchardstown against NUI Maynooth today. Confirmed that he starts.

Throw in is at 3.

I knew Geraghty was playing but does anyone know if Maynooth have asked Darren Fay to line out, I heard he has enrolled there. :)

Definitely nervous about Sunday. Only have bad memories of Clones. Losing a league final, a few championship defeats and last years debacle. On top of that a Monaghan team that beat us twice last year and now reigning Ulster champions. Work very much cut out.

GG obviously didn't get on too well with ITB. Managed to notch 2 points though. Eamonn Wallace got 7 points for Maynooth.

• Advertisement

GG obviously didn't get on too well with ITB. Managed to notch 2 points though. Eamonn Wallace got 7 points for Maynooth.

How did the more current lads do? We've a few playing today I think also

Same starting XV as the Galway match

iDave wrote: »
    How did the more current lads do? We've a few playing today I think also
    Just going by the reports so I've no idea. I know the two McGills from Ratoath played for Blanchardstown as well. Haven't seen any reports from the other Sigerson games.

No surprises with the team for Sunday. Getting really nervous about it. If we can win, we've a fantastic shot at promotion. Lose, and we'll have to get a result in Ballybofey. I feckin hate the sight of Monaghan at this stage.

Just going by the reports so I've no idea. I know the two McGills from Ratoath played for Blanchardstown as well. Haven't seen any reports from the other Sigerson games.

No surprises with the team for Sunday. Getting really nervous about it. If we can win, we've a fantastic shot at promotion. Lose, and we'll have to get a result in Ballybofey. I feckin hate the sight of Monaghan at this stage.

Wallace had a good game for Maynooth from what I gather.

Very nervous myself but even if we lose I think Armagh at home is next so we can bounce back in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

http://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/gaa/leinster/meath-gaa/meath-gaa-gk-jersey-white.html

Check out the new white jersey for the summer hols. Is it an away jersey or a GK jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

http://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/gaa/leinster/meath-gaa/meath-gaa-gk-jersey-white.html

Check out the new white jersey for the summer hols. Is it an away jersey or a GK jersey?

Have seen used as the GK jersey with the hurlers last year, so maybe the same for the footballers.

What an absolute joke in Clones yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

What an absolute joke in Clones yet again.

What's going on up there

Was rightly nervous about this. 12 months and nothing has changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

I feel sorry for anybody who spent hard earned cash travelling to clones to watch that crap today. No fight or bottle shown whatsoever, embarrassing stuff. The warning signs were there against Galway, they carved us open at Will.

Advertisement