Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hollow Earth

• 08-04-2004 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Dear All,

I'm wondering if people are aware that there is a body of thought out there regarding the hollowness of the Earth. It's something that has been drawn to my attention recently and might be of interest here because it has been suggested that beings live there.
    Here is a link

Keep an open mind!

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Hmmm, this is a theory I hadn't come across before. Sorry I can't be more amenable to this idea, but I can't see it standing up to much scientific questioning. If there's a 1200km diameter hole at the north and south poles, howcome there's no sign of it on the surface? Also, re.gravity, what kind of rocks are supposed to be in the crust to create this supposed center of gravity?
    Ed explains that when a planet is formed it is first just gas which is rotating. He said that the heavy particles eventually expand out and create the planet's surface and the lighter particles contract to form the central sun.
    What is his theory for the heavier particles moving outwards? Surely the gravity of the initial rotating gas cloud would be such that heavy particles would stay in the center and only the lightest would move away?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's the most stupid thing I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

I'm certainly not convinced but I would like to hear more discussion about its merits. I have come across a number of people who really believe there are entites inside the Earth. I have nothing that proves or disproves that conclusively so I'm keeping an open mind on this.

I imagine the heavier particles remained in the middle to form the core, I'll do more reading on this. There is a lot of material on the web regarding this and it's certainly not new.

Nick

The bit about the outward movement of the heavier particles was taken from the site you linked to.

Tbh, I have massive problems with this theory, I'm in the middle of writting a geolgy thesis and a geophysics report and everything I've studied over the last 4years would say that this idea is implausible, to say the least. If you came across any stuff where the author(s) of this theory defend it against, say, deep geophysical surveys, which can go down to depths of at least 70km, well into the mantle. This kind of survey should have come across some signs that this theory is possible, why hasn't it?

• Advertisement

No offence, but did you actually read that stuff? It's saying your theory is impossible!

LOL!
    It's not my theory!

I was just posting relevent material.

Nick

Originally posted by MeatProduct
    LOL!
    It's not my theory!

I was just posting relevent material.

Nick
    Sure, but from your original post I assumed you were a supporter of this theory and as such would post arguments for, rather than against. Tbh, I'd love to read more about it, but I don't have time to search at the moment, thesis calls!

Originally posted by fozzle
    Sure, but from your original post I assumed you were a supporter of this theory and as such would post arguments for, rather than against. Tbh, I'd love to read more about it, but I don't have time to search at the moment, thesis calls!

Sure, perfectly understandable. I might indeed lean a bit towards believing that theory anyway since I have been exposed to a lot of people that are convinced that the theory is true.

The best thing to do is to decide for one's self if it's true or not.

All the best,

Nick

PS: Good luck with the thesis.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not having bothered to read the link...

Once upon a time the hollow earth theory was regarded as being scientific - hence Jules Verne wrote a book about it, and he was a SCIENCE fiction writer.

However since contenantal drift has been measured (Atlantic widening at ~2cm per year - it's about 250 million years old - the centre being the youngest part etc.) and relies on a liquid layer to move upon and material science can show rock is liquid at the measured temperatures and pressures etc.. You can take it the earth is not hollow.

Also volcanos are in part powered by carbon dioxide which comes from limestone in subduction zones. Yes with out life on this planet we would have less earth quakes and volcanoes !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

And without the fresh output of gases and other substances from those same volcanoes and earthquakes, we'd have less life on the planet. Wonderful, innit? :)

Here's a link that has further information on this theory.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

WARNING personal opinion ahead. may cause offense.

Those people are LA-LA. it's idiotic.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Ha ha ha. Insanity. How is it paranormal though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

How Gravity works then is the following. For the people who live on the outer surface, Gravity holds them down. For the people that live in the middle earth, the closer they get to the center of the crust (i.e. - 400 miles down), the less effect gravity will have upon them. In the book, "Etidorhpa", when this individual traveling down into the earth reached the center of gravity, i.e. where there is no gravity --- he was able to move by the power of his mind, his heart stop beating and he didn't need to eat.

Is this right or is he making it up as he goes along? Is gravity not inversely proportional to the distance of a body from the earths center, so the closer the distance to the earths center, the greater the effect of gravity? My physics admittedly is rusty!

-M-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

in fairness this has nothing to do with the paranormal thread locked.
    this is a paranormal forum, any off topic threads will in future just be deleted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement